help!!! I'm Panicing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeffsss

Reaction score
my god it never ends................ today I wake up take a shower.. I'm sooooooo gentle with my hair.. I used t-gel today, washing ever so carefully.. do one swipe of my hair with my fingers and look at my hand.... there was 50+ hairs... I slapped them against the shower wall in disbelief..

Looked at them for a second.... felt like i was going to vomit.. quick rinse of the rest of the soap.. and just sat here looking at an old picture of me of when i was happy. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I don't know what i'm going to do... I am soooo fxcking depressed. :cry:

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Jeff ... I know how seeing mass wads of hair on your palm can be upsetting. So you must stop masturbating.

Just kidding. :)

I know how it feels though seriously. Feels like the life blood is draining from you. You just want to sit and physically sulk all day.

Every time you see a hair on your palm, remind yourself of this: That hair is not "gone" from your head. Its just another follicle that is responding to Finasteride and going dormant. Its a known fact that finasteride causes mass numbers of follicles to *RESTART*. That means they kick the existing hair's *** out on the curb and start creating a new one. Its how the follicle works. Anytime you introduce an agent which will affect the cellular processes in the follicle, this happens. We call it shedding. We freak out. We see more loss of hair.

But you are on a solid regimen, and that hair is not gone permenantly. In fact right now its dormant and it will begin creating a new hair right where that one fell out. THIS IS HOW IT WORKS! So please try to keep that in mind.... and give your hair time.

Its trying to restart and regenerate itself.... you are not losing hair!

In 3 to 7 months you will thicken right back up to where you were. Assuming you:

1) Do not change your regimen AT ALL
2) Continue using Nizoral shampoo
3) Religiously use your treatments

Hang in there buddy.

HairLossTalk.com

Def

Established Member
Reaction score
Just another shedding post, which I don’t normally engage in as I’ve never been a counter or excessive scrutiniser of hairs not on my head. However, I’m intrigued by the “restart†comment I’ve seen so often on this site. Understand the mechanism suggested and why the subsequent shed may occur.

My question is this: I’ve been on finasteride for nearly 3 years now and seem to “shed†consistently. Some days worse than others, of course, and I do not recall any mass shedding phase. I notice the majority of the hairs I lose seem to fall when I either brush, style or touch the crown area of my head (where the loss is occurring). Sure, the average person loses 50 to 100 hairs a day but what are your thoughts on the hairs I shed daily being in response to finasteride rather than general male pattern baldness cyclical loss at this stage in my regimen?

I’d like to think it’s the former but have a sneaking suspicion it’s the latter. Notwithstanding, I plan to fight male pattern baldness to the bitter end and if I feel my current regimen is beginning to wane, I plan to bring on the Lasercomb, Revivogen, hair transplant and any other thing that can help!! :evil:

Laters

Def

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I will make a comment here. If you read the 5yrs Merck study on Finasteride you will see a few lines dealing with how Finasteride may cause synchronization of anagen/telogen cycles. What this means is, instead of having 10% - 15% of your hair in telogen and 85% - 90% in anagen you may have an increased amount in telogen or anagen at any given time. When it is time for the hair to cycle a heavy shed may occur. Over time it is thought this "synchronization" will break and a more "natural" anagen/telogen cycle will resume.

jeffsss

Reaction score
socks said:
I will make a comment here. If you read the 5yrs Merck study on Finasteride you will see a few lines dealing with how Finasteride may cause synchronization of anagen/telogen cycles. What this means is, instead of having 10% - 15% of your hair in telogen and 85% - 90% in anagen you may have an increased amount in telogen or anagen at any given time. When it is time for the hair to cycle a heavy shed may occur. Over time it is thought this "synchronization" will break and a more "natural" anagen/telogen cycle will resume.

well i hope your right! :cry:

but from reading other peoples posts.. these hairs that i lose initially will never come back... :!:

SE-freak

Reaction score
jeffsss said:
these hairs that i lose initially will never come back... :!:

You are not losing hair, you are losing shafts. The follicles are not being shot in the head, they are ejecting their shafts.

The new cycle will begin with less dht around.

(if propecia is working for you that is).

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Weepy said:
socks said:
If you read the 5yrs Merck study on Finasteride

Where is this paper? Is it freely available?

Someone posted it on HLH I think and I posted it here... I didnt save it to my HD though and I cant seem to find it doing a search here on HairLossTalk.com... Maybe someone else reading can help.