Help: Hairline Excess Or Poor Adhesion?

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have only had a hair system for about 3 months now. This is my 2nd unit as my first one was defective. My issue is no matter what tape I use for the front I keep having a small lip that is white. I understand that because it’s tape it’s obviously not going to be as thin as glue.

My first unit I used glue for the hairline and I absolutely hated using glue. It was so messy! This unit I have only used tape all around. It is a poly sides and back and lace front.

Currently I have the 3mil Walker tape on the front and I can’t tell if I just don’t have the tape close enough to the edge or if the edge needs trimming.

The rest of my head I decided to try something new. I used the red liner tape and then Walker strong hold on top. I want to get the easiest clean up possible. The adhesion is awesome. When I run my hand around the sides and back of my head I can not feel a lip at all.

I am going to attach pictures of my hairline right now and pictures of how I taped the unit. Please critique it as I want to get better at this!

Thanks!

Attachments

• C6555AA1-4993-44F8-B1EA-7BA835C55838.jpeg
    C6555AA1-4993-44F8-B1EA-7BA835C55838.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 42BC6DD3-97D1-481D-9572-B29700D776B3.jpeg
    42BC6DD3-97D1-481D-9572-B29700D776B3.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 216
  • 4CF9F213-52E3-43C7-89EE-86A268492AB0.jpeg
    4CF9F213-52E3-43C7-89EE-86A268492AB0.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 213

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello
you are doing the right thing for poly side and back, The red tape is much easier to remove from piece. I was doing 2 tape thing ( red liner and other tape) but found that the duotac tape is a combination of red liner and blue tape ( each side) ...my recommendation to make things easier for you would be to use the wide contours, less tape cutting/gluing and fiddling around..
here is what I use for poly surround

https://superhairpieces.ca/duo-tac-super-wide-tape-cc-shape-3-4-x-5-24-pcs-per-pack/ in my case the CC shape fits perfectly the back of my piece. For sides I use the C contour.

As for front, you shouldn't have a white edge...I also use the 3mm thins , but I stick to base a bit over the lace edge, then, when the underside tape backing is still on, i press the case into the tape well, and using sharp scissors, I cut the excess tape. Wiping alcohol on scissor blades facilites things, as that tape is really sticky and thin and hard to cut.

hope this helps

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Awesome I was thinking of doing that actually with putting it over just a tad.

FYI: I had some decent hair cutting scissors that were sharp, but with the stickiness of tape it didn’t work well. I did research for anti stick scissors on amazon and bought this pack of them. Man, it’s a game changer when it comes to cutting tape, however being a large size scissor they may not be able to maneuver the edges all that great, but thought I’d share.

Scissors, iBayam 3 Pack 8"... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FSTJQ3Y?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello
you are doing the right thing for poly side and back, The red tape is much easier to remove from piece. I was doing 2 tape thing ( red liner and other tape) but found that the duotac tape is a combination of red liner and blue tape ( each side) ...my recommendation to make things easier for you would be to use the wide contours, less tape cutting/gluing and fiddling around..
here is what I use for poly surround

https://superhairpieces.ca/duo-tac-super-wide-tape-cc-shape-3-4-x-5-24-pcs-per-pack/ in my case the CC shape fits perfectly the back of my piece. For sides I use the C contour.

As for front, you shouldn't have a white edge...I also use the 3mm thins , but I stick to base a bit over the lace edge, then, when the underside tape backing is still on, i press the case into the tape well, and using sharp scissors, I cut the excess tape. Wiping alcohol on scissor blades facilites things, as that tape is really sticky and thin and hard to cut.

hope this helps

Also, when you say wider, do you actually mean a longer piece of tape as in the 5” strips instead of the mini strips?

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, when you say wider, do you actually mean a longer piece of tape as in the 5” strips instead of the mini strips?
yes, as per link above, you can see that the countour tape is 5 inches wide...faster instaltion ..

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
A hairline on a stock system just doesn't look real until it's manipulated.

https://www.instagram.com/laceassassin/?hair loss=en

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I tried Ghostbond Platinum and one of the Walkers (can’t remember which). The biggest thing is clean up. I can not stand cleaning up glue. It really tests my patience!

I tried AXC123 trick of putting it over the edge and that really helped a lot. The only thing I didn’t like about it was the trimming part. There were a few spots where I trimmed an extremely small amount of lace off. I think it’s because the tape was not stuck down enough on the lace and so when I went to cut it I wasn’t actually cutting tape.

That picture I was only using my leave in conditioner which is amazing. I’ve tried several it’s by far my favorite. Here is a screenshot of it from Amazon.

Attachments

• F43AF58E-F38E-456B-96DB-C5067206ACD3.png
    F43AF58E-F38E-456B-96DB-C5067206ACD3.png
    156.7 KB · Views: 82

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t have an issue at all with how my hairline looks other than it not sticking down. I think a lot of experienced hairpiece wearers on this forum (which I am not) may can tell a difference but honestly if someone had my hairline I would not be able to tell it was a piece (assuming it’s stuck down correctly).

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t have an issue at all with how my hairline looks other than it not sticking down. I think a lot of experienced hairpiece wearers on this forum (which I am not) may can tell a difference but honestly if someone had my hairline I would not be able to tell it was a piece (assuming it’s stuck down correctly).

I have one client who has the same problem... my advice to him... change your hairstyle. I know... but... we tried EVERYTHING... three different types of tapes... only glue glue + tape... he had lifting...

So... new haircut... no more problem...

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Haha true!

Ever since listening to AXC my hairline has actually been great. It has been holding fairly well with the Walker Lace Front. I am on day 5 and there is some lifting, but I honestly think I can make it a week without it becoming noticeable to others.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Which factories have realistic, graduated well-bleached ones for reasonable prices?

Your original comment was, untrue... so instead of accepting the fact you made a blanket statement, you change the question.

"Reasonable Price"? Can you get MORE subjective? To some... $200 is unreasonable, to others, trying to find hair, in the middle of a Pandemic... $400-500, isn't.

No, a cheap, ebay/Aliexpress system probably WON'T have a decent hairline.

Us (OneHead), Laviviv, UK Hair Systems, MH2GO, Hair Inspira, BySix, and others... do.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I received a new all lace unit from Hollywood Lace a few weeks ago and decided I would try it out today. I had them do the cut in at their salon but I would do the base cutting myself. I measured my head and tried to replicate that on the unit, but didn’t turn out just right. We decided to install the unit anyways just over the weekend to see if I liked the hair and then if I decided to keep it on my head I would take it off and trim the base better.

I decided to do a color 3 instead of a 2 and I think it definitely matches me better.

This unit has a lot lighter density than my previous unit and you can really see this in my hairline. The hairline looks a lot more natural, however I don’t think I like it as much. I used the lace front support tape.

You can compare the first picture I posted up of my hairline (although it was lifting) with this hairline.
77BBC9BE-26A0-4F79-B6FE-589A619342B9.jpeg

I’m definitely getting better at taping the hairline after using all you guys advice.

Opinions, suggestions, comments??

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi. I much prefer this one than the first post. Can't see sides/back... so cant comment on blend and color, but much better.

Reactions: JMC