Help for Women with scalp pain and/or hair loss

giggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have copied and pasted a couple of extracts below that I have seen on other hair loss forums to help women that have scalp pain coupled with hair loss. They seem to centre around an anti oxidant called "Coenzyme Q10" which can be found at any health store or chemist. It increases blood circulation to the scalp and can be helpful. It could be worth going to other hair loss forums as well and searching for info on Coenzyme Q10. I have not heard of any instances in men where this helps but from what I have seen on all hair loss sites, it seems to be doing very good things for alot of women.

"Hi Anne, I take what Mechelle suggested. They are: Coenzyme Q-10, 100 mg, Vitamin B-6, 100 mg., Zinc, 50 mg., and Biotin, 600 mcg. As far as I remember, Mechelle recommended 3000 mcg. of Biotin. The highest I could find was the 600 mcg. It took only 4 days to finally get rid of my burning scalp. I now see a lot of new growth. I'm sure it's because of these supplements. I never found out what I had. Both my Doctor and the Dermatologist said to just live with it. They both said it was FPB. I told them I never heard going bald was painful. I now disagree with them. The pain is gone and the hair is coming back for now. Whether this continues, I don't know. Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck. Lorrie"

"Hi Trina I better get use to this if I'm going to be a MD, Gives me good understanding of all the different circumstances surrounding female hair loss. One thing you can feel confident is if you dont panic and get into the worry more loss cycle you have a very good chance to turn this Telogen Effluvium in 6 months. The minerals that are essential that I used and I will use in all my female hairloss patients in my practice are B12 1000mcg BIOTIN 200 mcg Calcium 25mg Magnesium 100mg ZINC 10 mg SELENIUM 50mcg Manganese 5mg Chromium 50 mcg Potassium 10mg SILICA 1000mcg I also suggest all the Amino Acids complex caps 3 a day and what I treated myself with for the scalp pain was q10 co enzyme 100 mgs a day. Keep me posted Mechelle"

"After exchanging messages with Mechelle, and others on these boards, and from researching on my own, this is what Ive been taking Zinc 60mg 1x a day Vitamin C + rosehips 1000mg 1x a day B-6 100mg 1x a day Q10 100mg 1x a day B-12 500mcg 1x a day biotin (i recently stopped this also)"

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, Giggsy.
A lot of those supplements are valuable for general good health.
The danger in following unknown advice from forums is people "self-medicate" themselves.
For example, a daily dose of potassium is 99 mg: 10 mg seems almost negligible.. And my nutrition book doesn't even list potassium as a helpful nutrient for hairloss. Some of the others are probably too low to do any good. For example, I take 5 mg. of biotin daily. Vitamin E should be 400 IU daily. And, I've heard silica has side effects.

You don't say where you got this information or what type of hairloss you are experiencing. Please post back and give us more details.

This site has a lot of valuable and reliable information of women's hairloss: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/research/women/index.htm
:) :)

giggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Marie Joe

Well I definately agree with you 100% about taking dosages that are not recommended by professionals. My point was however not in relation to these supplements but more in relation to Coenzyme Q10.

I am a 26 year old male and have been experiencing hair loss for about 1 1/2 years now but is has been coupled with an extremely sore and painful scalp (which ithes alot). It just appeared suddenly one day (literally 100% one day and then intense itching and hair loss the next).I have done the whole usual doctor/dermatologist things and even had a scalp biopsy which did not come to any definite conclusion. I have also spent a fortune on products to stop my scalp feeling tender and painful. Brushing hair and putting my hands through my hair is always extremely painful as it pulls on my scalp. I have heard it may be a symptom of male pattern baldness as well as something that is common in Telogen Effluvium caused by anxiety (I have been suffering from extreme depression for over 10 years now). For those who have a sore and burning scalp it may be worth reading this:

http://www.keratin.com/ao/ao020.shtml

Anyway I was doing research for my sore scalp and came across a few sites (but always in the women forums) relating to Coenzyme Q10. The main one I found was here:

http://www.pharmahg.co.uk/f179pain4/_di ... 000043.htm

It may be worth searching/browsing those forums because I have read some excellent and hopeful stuff for women in here. At the same time this forum is also very useful as well I have found.

I really hope this will help you guys anyway. If anyone has any more question or comments, please respond.[/url]

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Hi giggsy!

This would definitely qualify for the "Unproven and Experimental Treatments" Section of these forums. We will move this there now.

Thanks!

HairLossTalk.com