Help! finasteride has made me impotent.

eth0

Established Member
Reaction score
that was the case with me. It became a little hard, but no where near hard enough to do anything with.

I'm guessing mine was partially the reaction to finasteride and partially my anxiety

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I couldn't help it, I just took 1mg of finasteride today after one day's rest.

I can get an erection. But it isn't as easy as usual. Sometimes even thinking about something dirty could give me an erection.

I watched some p**rn yesterday and managed to knock one out. That seemed to have improved things quite a bit. I'm gonna abstain for a few days and see if my libido is high on Tuesday. A gap of 5 days usually makes me v horny.

I think my general tiredness had something to do with it. Sleeping late on weekends really ruins my sleeping patterns during weekdays. So I've made a pact to go to sleep the same time on weekends and weekdays. No more staying up til 3am.

I think Etho is right, the more you think about it the worse you feel and the more you panic. I'm gonna enjoy the weekend, stay away from this board for a few days and just chill out.

I'll continue with finasteride and hopefully will be back to my usual self within a couple of weeks. I've read from quite a few sources that these effects usually subside after a while.

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd provide an update. It's been one week since I experienced these side effects, my libido has returned and erections are pretty much normal, maybe at 90% to what they were like before. Thanks to Etho, Timi and Hoppi for your advice and encouragement to continue the treatment. I was almost ready to throw in the towel.

Let's hope I never have to return to this part of the forum again.

Mew please don't post a scare story.

Mew

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Good luck to you, hope things work out in the end. If they don't, you'll know where to look!

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
Mew said:

Good luck to you, hope things work out in the end. If they don't, you'll know where to look!

Mew I like this new positive attitude :woot:

Mew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Mew I like this new positive attitude

Hey, if he wants to roll the dice and risk the possibility of destroying his life, health and vitality due to permanent side effects, no matter how "rare"... then who am I to say no!

Have fun inhibiting 5AR2, DHT and neurosteroids, we'll see how long you last.

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
Mew said:
Mew I like this new positive attitude

Hey, if he wants to roll the dice and risk the possibility of destroying his life, health and vitality due to permanent side effects, no matter how "rare"... then who am I to say no!

Have fun inhibiting 5AR2, DHT and neurosteroids, we'll see how long you last.

You're one sad individual.

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually that's Mew at his cheeriest.

Try not to obsess over the sexual sides. I doubt finasteride makes you more apathetic, that would be depression, which can also cause sexual dysfunction. Although an increase in your estrogen levels could also make you more susceptible to depression/apathy/aggression/irritability.

Nene

Reaction score
I think Mew is secretly hoping all of us get these awful sides so we can see the evils of finasteride first hand. How about actually wishing him luck and meaning it? Jeez. :thumbdown2:

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
For most people, sides will go away if you continue the drug.

If you decide to quit, your side-effects will start disappearing within a couple of weeks, give or take...

reckless

Established Member
Reaction score
timbo said:
For most people, sides will go away if you continue the drug.

If you decide to quit, your side-effects will start disappearing within a couple of weeks, give or take...

This is what has happened with me. I took one day off finasteride, then continued the treatment and now all the sides have pretty much gone.

Everyone reacts differently. Some people will die if they eat peanuts or even flour.

The depression and not caring about anything could have been the finasteride or it could have been the lack of sleep I was getting. The libido issue I had was 100% definitely due to finasteride, I've never felt like that before. However this has now gone away.

Hoppi

Reaction score
I don't recommend taking the risk. I think I'm still recovering from my last lot of finasteride and I never, ever intend on taking it ever again.

Just use equol. Fingers crossed it will outdate finasteride anyway.

and yeah I know what you mean Mew, I do. Thing is I think finasteride is a tremendous and fantastic step forward in terms of male pattern baldness treatment and understanding. But I do think it is sloppy and harmful (to many) and we need to move oral treatment on somehow. I do very much hope equol will prove itself as a viable alternative.

G k

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
I don't recommend taking the risk. I think I'm still recovering from my last lot of finasteride and I never, ever intend on taking it ever again.

Just use equol. Fingers crossed it will outdate finasteride anyway.

and yeah I know what you mean Mew, I do. Thing is I think finasteride is a tremendous and fantastic step forward in terms of male pattern baldness treatment and understanding. But I do think it is sloppy and harmful (to many) and we need to move oral treatment on somehow. I do very much hope equol will prove itself as a viable alternative.

Hi Hoppi,

Would you mind posting info on equol, I have never heard of it.

you are 100% right about finasteride.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Equol binds to DHT and makes it inactive. It doesn't touch 5ar, so doesn't affect nitric oxide levels and doesn't give sexual sides (or not that have been observed to date). There may be some mild estrogenic sides in some but I do think something like DIM should take the edge off those, and one could simply take vitamin D and a ginseng to optimize T levels. But anyway yeah the idea is that it merely "mops up" the DHT in your system, making it unable to activate the androgen receptor.

Products such as Densiti give your body the live bacteria etc required to produce equol naturally from soy. I'm not sure about ways to directly take equol, I think it is trickier. But yeah, combined with beta-sit and borage oil I think that should be equal to finasteride, possibly superior, and without the sides :)

At the very least I very much hope that will be the case - no more finasteride-ruined lives! heh :)