Help: fear of putting Folligen and minoxidil on scalp together

bluechips

Established Member
Reaction score
I know ppl. do it but I am a little afraid of putting Folligen on my scalp when minoxidil is already on. Can anyone assuage my fears? I know Dr. Folligen says it is okay on his website- can he really be trusted?

beaner

Reaction score
Why are you afraid? What do you think is going to happen to you? I use both all the time.... and who the hell is Dr Folligen? Dr Pickard you mean, I assume. The only thing that may happen is the folligen and minoxidil may cause a green color on your scalp which will wash next time you shower.

CCS

Reaction score
folligen is 1/4 the price of equate minoxidil when diluted 50-50 and applied every other day. I plan to add 1:5 of full strength to shampoo in my regular shampoo. It will make in more watery, but I don't care. Then the 50% strength MWF. The stuff does not reach with minoxidil proxiphen.

it really bothers me when all these people say, "I'm going to just use finasteride for a year, so i know if it even works, before i add anything else." The only people who should consider this are people who have nto lost hair but have family that has. Anyone with some thinning should include minoxidil and folligen until the thinning is gone, and then see if they can get away with just finasteride.

JWM

Reaction score
Anyone with some thinning should include minoxidil and folligen until the thinning is gone, and then see if they can get away with just finasteride.

Won't happen dude. All 3 treatments grow hair from a different mechanism. Any hair you have grown using ANY treatment will be most likely dependant on continued use of that treatment only.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
college,
sorry to correct you. Don't make statements saying using folligen is a must. This means that folligen is the best sod.
so I would say sod as opposed to folligen. Leave it to the users to choose among tricomin, proxiphen-N, folligen etc.

JWM

Reaction score
Techproof

That has to be the most intense regimen I've ever read. You're pretty serious aren't you? :wink:

CCS

Reaction score
sorry about that techprofessor.

I just recommend folligen because it is cheap and many people don't want to spend money on methods other than propecia. I should say SOD. i hear tricomin is better than folligen, but a lot more expensive.

I just get worked up when all these people are on minoxidil OR propecia but not both and are affraid to try the other because they first want to see how good the one by itself will work and they already have diffuse thinning. If they just want to keep what they have and not have a complicated regimen, that would be different. I promote folligen so much because I assume price is one of their reasons. But even tricomin and Prox-N are not that expensive.

CCS

Reaction score
it has been 6 days and my folligen still has not arrived from follica. The prox-N from Dr Proctor arrived so fast I guess I just got spoiled.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JWM,
I am lazy. I will be updating my regimen soon. I had 4000 grafts hair transplant on June 23. I plan to stick to the following modified regimen.

dutasteride 0.5 mg, generic minoxidil, 5%, tricomin 1 ml after the shower in the AM

proxhiphen-N 0.5 ml, xandrox 15 1ml in the PM

alternate ketoconazole and head & shoulders (zinc pyrithione) shampoo.

As far as the strongest regimen, I believe stax has the most potent, most expensive and all-inclusive regimen.

On June 2004, I was a NW6, and I believe I progressed to NW5 (perhaps a high NW4) by June 2006 before the hair transplant.

I was an exceptional responder first time for the minoxidil (in 2000, went from NW4 to NW2 just using rogaine. I was stupid not to start finasteride or dutasteride early).

I am very sure and convinced that any one who starts big3 and sods before NW3 or 4 will not need a hair transplant (but for agressive hairlines)

CCS

Reaction score

JWM

Reaction score
I've bee around this game for awhile and know of SEVERAL people who tried dropping things like minoxidil once on finasteride. The result? HEAVY sheds.

You can try it, and if it works for you consider yourself lucky, but IMO you shouldn't get your hopes up.