Help and other newbie questions

mickeyDelight

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have a couple of questions that I need answered for piece of mind because I'm driving myself crazy as to whether I'm losing my hair or not.

I'm 25 and have begun to take more notice of my hair shedding. Thus far I have no apparent thining. My hair is as thick as can be. My parents, girlfriend, firends, and the two dermatologists I've seen have said that I have no signs of balding. If they are so convinced, how can I be so unsure?

I am concerned about my shedding and have been unable to find any of the specific information I'd like to have.

Here's what you need to know, I guess.

1. When I finish applying gel to my hair, I notice that my hands will have 5-12 hairs on them.

2. I started rinsing my hair in a plugged sink and have noticed a regular shed of about 10 + hairs.

3. If I run a hand through my hair, 1-3 hairs will occasionally fall out.

4. My hairline has receded a tiny bit in the past year or so. My dermatologist told me that this is my hairline maturing and that I have nothing to worry about.

5. My dad is bald and lost the bulk of his hair before he turned 22.

6. I have no bald spots. In fact, my scalp doesn't show at all through my hair.

Questions:

1. Do I have anything to worry about? Am I in the beginning stages of male pattern baldness?

2. I know that we lose up to 100 hairs a day, but losing around 12 in one shot seems like a lot to me. Is this something to be concerned about?

3. Is shedding a sign of balding or should I look more for thinning?

4. For those of you who are already bald, I'm sorry to get personal, but how many hairs did you shed or lose at a given time while you were going bald?

5. I read that people who go bald tend to lose hair in clumps rather than individual hairs falling out from all over the head. Is this true?

6. My buddy who went bald told me to check the amount of hairs on my face and shoulders after a shower to tell if I am going bald. I usually find between 3-8 hairs. Should I be concerned?

I apologize if my questions seem uninformed. This has only recently become a concern to me and I wish to know more before I make an assessment.

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would presume that your thinning givin the info you have well..given but you should check thinning..does it get thick to thinner as it gets closer to the hair bulb?

Doesnt matter if your dad is bald ...you actually get your bald gene from your mothers dad(or so they say)

Losing 12 in one shot doesnt matter...we could lose 12 in one shot and not have anymore fallout the rest of the day......like i said look to see if your hair is going from thick to thin.......i mean for all you know you could be having a shed....and shedding isnt what you need to worry about your hair growing back thinner is.

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
50 to 100 hairs a day is normal shedding for everything. If the shedding goes over 100 than you maybe going through MBP. It can get the genes from your mothers or dads side. You may want to jump on to propecia or proscar to stop the shedding you have. I can't say much until I your hair. If you think your losing your hair then you may want to start it now to stop anything that is starting up. Like most people they started to use propecia years after going from norwood 1 ( which you are on) to norwood 2 to 4. The drug is expensive but it's works and is the best thing out there today. That's why you need to make sure your losing hair. I can't say much more and it really up to you what you will do about it. You can wait and see what happen or you start taking it.

G

1. sounds well within the normal 'non-balding' range

2. hard to say but not really

3. there are other reasons shedding occurs like Telogen Effluvium
read here:> http://www.hairlosstalk.com/newsletter/article222.htm

4. me I never notice losing any hair! really, I have just gone thin very slowly

5. no

6. hard to say but not really

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
blue said:
Doesnt matter if your dad is bald ...you actually get your bald gene from your mothers dad(or so they say)
Not true, male pattern baldness can come from either parent or side of the family.

mickeyDelight

Reaction score
Thanks guys. This defeinetly helps.

A couple more questions:

1. Are there any self tests that I could give myself to help monitor my hair?

2. What are the most important questions to ask a dermatologist regarding my own, or male pattern baldness in general?

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
MVPsoft,
I actually remember this coming up once or twice and i said that cause thats what appears to happen more often then not.......i couldnt find the link but there was a thread about getting the gene from your moms side of the family.........in the thread i remember some people talking about how it was prolly made up by some doctor that noticed it......but there was no actually data suggesting it..thats why i said(or so they say).

G

mickeyDelight said:
Thanks guys. This defeinetly helps.

A couple more questions:

1. Are there any self tests that I could give myself to help monitor my hair?

2. What are the most important questions to ask a dermatologist regarding my own, or male pattern baldness in general?

1. look in the mirror

2. "doctor, doctor, give it to me straight, am I going bald"