Help a Shampoo ignorant

Baldude

Reaction score
Hey. As I mentioned in other forums, I've been using finasteride for over three years now to maintain and hopefully regrow my hairline with good results.
During the last few months I lost a fair amount of hair at the front, and I can safely say that I have much less than what I had before I started.
During these last few months I switched from Propecia to 5th Prosacrs which I bought from QHI website in the UK, but that's not the issue...
The thing is, I've never cared much about what I shampoo with and how often.

I read that the FDA Propecia tests were done with Nizoral shampoo twice a week, so I started doing that, but sometimes postponing it a few days, especially to days without much social activity due to the harsh smell of Nizoral. At the beginning I couldn't get Nizoral (you need a prescription for it in Israel and used T/Gel instead. But anyway,

I didn't use anything else on days off Nizoral, and sometimes I went as long as a week without any shampooing.

I read here that people use both Nizoral and T/Gel. Don't they fulfil the same purpose in hairloss treatment? Also, can one use another shampoo right after washing off nizoral\TGel, just so the hair would look (and smell) better? And finally, can I just use a normal shampoo on days off nizoral?

Any help would be appreciated.

Siberian

Established Member
Reaction score
Baldude said:
I read here that people use both Nizoral and T/Gel. Don't they fulfil the same purpose in hairloss treatment?

No. Nizoral has this "Ketoconazole" stuff in it, which is reported to be a weak DHT inhibitor, and to reduce inflamation. It's actually proven to reduce male pattern baldness hair loss in some studies.

TGel, as far as I know, is a great tar-based anti-dandruff shampoo. If any of your balding is being caused by dandruff-related problems, it might help reduce those losses. But otherwise, it won't help male pattern baldness.

I swear I remember reading the opposite: that Propecia testers used TGel, and not Nizoral, in order to avoid contaminating the results?

VWdude

Reaction score
Siberian said:
Baldude said:
I read here that people use both Nizoral and T/Gel. Don't they fulfil the same purpose in hairloss treatment?

No. Nizoral has this "Ketoconazole" stuff in it, which is reported to be a weak DHT inhibitor, and to reduce inflamation. It's actually proven to reduce male pattern baldness hair loss in some studies.

TGel, as far as I know, is a great tar-based anti-dandruff shampoo. If any of your balding is being caused by dandruff-related problems, it might help reduce those losses. But otherwise, it won't help male pattern baldness.

I swear I remember reading the opposite: that Propecia testers used TGel, and not Nizoral, in order to avoid contaminating the results?

I like your avatar.

ShedMaster

Reaction score
Baldude said:
... but sometimes postponing it a few days, especially to days without much social activity due to the harsh smell of Nizoral.

I don't know if your batch of nizoral is contaminated or what, but nizoral doesn't smell bad at all, in fact it smells quite nice. T/gel smells like road tar, but once you wash it out is not a big deal at all.

Siberian

Established Member
Reaction score
ShedMaster said:
Baldude said:
... but sometimes postponing it a few days, especially to days without much social activity due to the harsh smell of Nizoral.

I don't know if your batch of nizoral is contaminated or what, but nizoral doesn't smell bad at all, in fact it smells quite nice. T/gel smells like road tar, but once you wash it out is not a big deal at all.

Agreed, though I'll admit the 2% stuff is a bit "medicinal" in smell. Not bad at all, but still not quite like the 1% version.