Help! 3 Months On Finasteride - No Results

SlinkyDink

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys.
Quick recap - started applying minoxidil last July (2018) had AMAZING results within 3 months. Then started to shed again and its never stopped since...

So today I have been on finasteride1.25mg for 3 months. (Still applying minoxidil twice a day)
I've seen no results what so ever. My hair has gotten worse since I started taking this damn stuff to the point I'm having to use concealers.
I'm still shedding lots of hairs every day and it doesn't seem to be getting any better...
My hairline is getting worse on both sides and I'm thinking all over my scalp and it looks awful :'(
Has anyone else experienced this?
Is Finasteride not working for me?
I really don't know what else to do, its depressing the sh*t out of me so much.
Any advice/comments appreciated

Itiswhatitis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Post pics it might be in your head. Also I personally am not a fan of minoxidil. The sheds aren’t worth it and you never know if it’s csusing more harm than good

SlinkyDink

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Post pics it might be in your head. Also I personally am not a fan of minoxidil. The sheds aren’t worth it and you never know if it’s csusing more harm than good
I had a thought of dropping minoxidil to see what happens, but I'm terrified it'll just get worse...
Its definitely not in my head. When I used to get out the shower about 8 months ago I could never see my scalp. Now i can literally see every part of my scalp. The pictures i have are on my laptop i will have to go through them over the weekend. Thanks for your response.

ChrisPratty

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys.
Quick recap - started applying minoxidil last July (2018) had AMAZING results within 3 months. Then started to shed again and its never stopped since...

So today I have been on finasteride1.25mg for 3 months. (Still applying minoxidil twice a day)
I've seen no results what so ever. My hair has gotten worse since I started taking this damn stuff to the point I'm having to use concealers.
I'm still shedding lots of hairs every day and it doesn't seem to be getting any better...
My hairline is getting worse on both sides and I'm thinking all over my scalp and it looks awful :'(
Has anyone else experienced this?
Is Finasteride not working for me?
I really don't know what else to do, its depressing the sh*t out of me so much.
Any advice/comments appreciated

Hi!

I can understand what you're are going through! But these medications always come with some or the other side-effects. Therefore, whether it's minoxidil or finasteride, I would recommend none!. Hair loss at this early age is traumatic and struck confidence hard. In my opinion, a modern wig or hair system is a healthier alternative as compared to medications. It is also super affordable.

I myself have seen people benefit from it. My brother also uses a hair system as he's totally bald. He's 30 though! If you could spare a minute you can see it for yourself, how much original these hair systems look. here's the website from where my bro order's his wig.
https://www.lordhair.com/photos

I hope you get something good here.
Thanks!

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
stick with it, don't stop now. wait 2-3 more months before making a decision (whether or not to continue "fighting" your hair loss)

Last edited:

JFLAtMtBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
The results usually start to come after 6 months on the drug, the plateau is reached after 24 months and after that you usually lower the dose to mantain the result you got. So 3 months are nothing, wait a bit more. 3 months in general are nothing in this fields, every result with every drug requires usually at least 6-12 months.

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The results usually start to come after 6 months on the drug, the plateau is reached after 24 months and after that you usually lower the dose to mantain the result you got. So 3 months are nothing, wait a bit more. 3 months in general are nothing in this fields, every result with every drug requires usually at least 6-12 months.

I've scoured success stories and nearly every one says they saw noticable results in around 3 months. I've only come across a handful that saw results after 6 months.

It's depressing to me.

JFLAtMtBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've scoured success stories and nearly every one says they saw noticable results in around 3 months. I've only come across a handful that saw results after 6 months.

It's depressing to me.
I am sorry you didin't have any good result after 6 months.
But are you followed by a dermatologist specialized in hair loss during the treatment? Sometimes improvements are invisible because only a videodermoscopy can see it. Second: if you arrested the progression of the Androgenetic Alopecia it's a win. Third, success stories usually are made by very good responder, which is not the average. And fina usually works very well for the crown but it does little, or nothing, for the temples. Try to use minoxidil with anti-androgens too, just talk with your dermatologist first.
I hope you will improve in the next 6 months, just be sure to be followed by a doctor.

washed_up

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is a drug where results are measured in years, not months. 3 months is barely enough for one hair cycle phase to occur.

OldnBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is a drug where results are measured in years, not months. 3 months is barely enough for one hair cycle phase to occur.
Yup. Normally you will see something in about four months, with near complete results around 8 months.

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

But there are so many people who gets results in around 3 months. If you do like I've done and pour over success stories you'll see most people who are going to get results get them in about that time.

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
But there are so many people who gets results in around 3 months. If you do like I've done and pour over success stories you'll see most people who are going to get results get them in about that time.

when did you start taking finasteride?

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
March this year.

so around ~7 months? have you noticed anything? ex: hair feels stronger (it doesn't necessarily look stronger/thicker but feels denser to the touch)? any shedding (when you started)? What is your current Norwood status? are you a diffuse thinner? age? How is your thyroid?

any negative side effects?

Perhaps you aren't a responder?

Last edited:

Who Farted

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Give it more time. The only certainty of stopping at this point is it will get worse; even if it’s only having a slight effect, that’s better than nothing. Worst case right now is that you’re losing hair at your biologically mandated rate. Sometimes it takes a year for people to see results.

OldnBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
March this year.
You might just be a maintainer. A lot of people are like that. Or a slight regrower. In which case it might take a year to notice that, if you do. You should've seen some of the miniaturized hairs grow longer n stronger by now.

But keep going. Too many ppl f*** around n quit n regret it later