Hell yea, brand new update from Stemson!

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Stemson just announced on their website that they are targeting UK for EXPANSION of their research and development (which already has a pretty descent size): https://stemsontx.com/stemson-targe...-backing-of-impact-investor-fortunis-capital/

The best part? It seems like the UK government is interested in making things easier for Stemson in order to attract such of a potentially revolutionary business there:

“The announcement of the $7.5million seed funding last month has triggered significant interest from UK government agencies as well as generated thousands of inquiries from people who wish to take part in the first tests.”

Do I hear fast track??? Cmon UK, please make things a little easier for us!

What do you guys think?

Mighty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You seem excited about the news...

I remember when it was 2016 and I was explaining a friend how we would be cured soon because Replicel was going to be released. Also, everytime I cutted my hair, I would explain why the barber would soon get new clients. And Tsuji had his chances...

We are almost in 2021 and I am skeptical of any treatment. You should be too. This won't be released in less than 5-10 years. Actually, 10 years is more likely if everything goes right.

If you are losing hair, take finasteride. If you can get a hair transplant, get one. Don't wait for miraculous cures.

Last edited:

jan_miezda

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@jan_miezda I swear I see you on every hairloss YT vid, forum, new treatment website in existence.

You're speaking in absolutes when you're know as little as all of us.. probably less to be honest. You even commented on a video where the CSO stated the aim was for 5 years time for it to start to roll out, while this is still optimistic it's the best we have to go by - how do you know more than the CSO?

It honestly seems like you sit on folliclethought and regurgitate information you've misinterpreted as if you've got some technical knowledge. So please, tell us all.. what are these 'things to worry about'..

If you gave that statement as your opinion, then fair enough - but you're not, you're trying to speak with authority as if you know this to be fact as almost as if you was the CSO..
For you the cure is always 5 years away. You can see from even 2000 people with your attitude. Since then nothing has changed. Stemson is still researching in mice

no one knows yet

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You seem excited about the news...

I remember when it was 2016 and I was explaining a friend how we would be cured soon because Replicel was going to be released. Also, everytime I cutted my hair, I would explain why the barber would soon get new clients. And Tsuji had his chances...

We are almost in 2021 and I am skeptical of any treatment. You should be too. This won't be released in less than 5-10 years. Actually, 10 years is more likely if everything goes right.

If you are losing hair, take finasteride. If you can make a hair transplant, make one. Don't wait for miraculous cures.
I agree, unfortunately.

But I still get excited about them because what they are doing is HUGE. Creating a full organ from a sample of blood is going to revolutionise medicine very broadly. Think of the possibilities not only with hair but with more complex organs that will eventually be created with the same fundamental process. Hair is a simple organ so it will be the first step.

I'm also a big fan of Dr. Terskikh because he is having the balls to go from researcher/professor to entrepreneur, taking a lot of risks to make sh*it happen. He didn't join Stemson, he freaking founded it. So if doesn't work he won't be able to just "resign from his director position" in the company and pretend it never happened. He is in it deep.

Most of the other scientists in this field stay in the academia forever, releasing "promising" papers and discoveries but never going out of their comfort zones to really try to make things happen. Not Dr. Terskikh, he is swinging for the fences. And he will be greatly compensated if it works out for him, and us too!

Last edited:

jan_miezda

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree, unfortunately.

But I still get excited about them because what they are doing is HUGE. Creating a full organ from a sample of blood is going to revolutionise medicine very broadly. Think of the possibilities not only with hair but with more complex organs that will eventually be created with the same fundamental process. Hair is a simple organ so it will be the first step.

I'm also a big fan of Dr. Terskikh because he is having the balls to go from researcher/professor to entrepreneur, taking a lot of risks to make sh*it happen. He didn't join Stemson, he freaking founded it. So if doesn't work he won't be able to just "resign from his director position" in the company and pretend it never happened. He is in deep.

Most of the other scientists in this field stay in the academia forever, releasing "promising" papers and discoveries but never going out of their comfort zones to really try to make things happen. Not Dr. Terskikh, he is swinging for the fences. And he will be greatly compensated if it works out for him, and us too!
Yes I wonder how there funding is

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
Stemson just announced on their website that they are targeting UK for EXPANSION of their research and development (which already has a pretty descent size): https://stemsontx.com/stemson-targe...-backing-of-impact-investor-fortunis-capital/

The best part? It seems like the UK government is interested in making things easier for Stemson in order to attract such of a potentially revolutionary business there:

Do I hear fast track??? Cmon UK, please make things a little easier for us!

What do you guys think?
Have the even tested on rats yet?

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yea the only hair they demonstrated so far was on mice and looked like sh*t. From a study published in 2019:https://stemsontx.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Stemson_ISSCR-2019_PressRelease-1.pdf

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 00.55.42.png

Also, while the dermal papilla-like stem cell used was human, the epithelial cell they used was from a mice. So it was a half human/half mice hair on a mice skin.

They better have progressed since then.

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In other to create new hairs, it's necessary TWO types of stem cells: dermal papilla and epithelial

- In 2014, scientists found out a way to derive epithelial stem cells from iPSC for the first time.
- In 2015 Dr. Terskikh and other scientists managed to derive dermal papilla stem cells from ESC, and later on from iPSC.

Since iPSCs are very easy to amplify and it's now known how to derive both dermal papilla and epithelial stem cells from iPSCs, now it is possible to create unlimited amounts of hairs.

According to Dr. Terskikh, the fundamental problem is solved, now it's just a matter of getting the engineering part right to deliver the cure.

MeDK

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In other to create new hairs, it's necessary TWO types of stem cells: dermal papilla and epithelial

- In 2014, scientists found out a way to derive epithelial stem cells from iPSC for the first time.
- In 2015 Dr. Terskikh and other scientists managed to derive dermal papilla stem cells from ESC, and later on from iPSC.

Since iPSCs are very easy to amplify and it's now known how to derive both dermal papilla and epithelial stem cells from iPSCs, now it is possible to create unlimited amounts of hairs.

According to Dr. Terskikh, the fundamental problem is solved, now it's just a matter of getting the engineering part right to deliver the cure.

you can't cultivate cells "forever" without the risk of cancer. If i remember correct you can cultivate / "multiply" about 60 times and then the risk for introducing cancer is very high.

MeDK

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
where did you find this?

Can find the exact study right now, but to quote another study.

"Some reports indicated that the tumourigenicity of stem cells has been predicted to increase proportionally with the length of in vitro culturing"

"Also spontaneous transformation of mice neural precursor/stem cells has been reported [58]. These transformed cells were detected already after ~10 passages of cell culture, and produced tumours in vivo upon administration into rodent brains." - Study

MeDK

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
"I’m a stem cell researcher and medical student. 3 weeks ago I posted on hairlosstalk immune rejection was a big issue. Everybody laughed at me and told me to f*** off. Interesting how things turn. In short terms. Ever ips cell has a mitochondria cell. The mitochondria cell produces energy for the cell. Now I stated that the biggest issue with ips cells wasn’t cancer. Theres been more than a dozen trials using ips cells to cure everything from blindness to muscle rejuvenation. Studies have shown that ips cells have a 20-40% rejection rate. Why? Simple? In Japan when they clone ips cells, they screen the cell for mutations to prevent cancer. Something the US doesn’t do. But they dont screen the mitochondria. The mitochondria is an energy powerhouse that has a high mutation rate. When a mutation occurs the immune system destroys the cell. So the easiest fix is to screen the mitochondria for dan mutations. Hardest way to fix this is to take immune suppressants." Jake hairlosscure2020
i don't get the post ?

is it sarcastic or am i missing some context ?

werefckd

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can find the exact study right now, but to quote another study.

"Some reports indicated that the tumourigenicity of stem cells has been predicted to increase proportionally with the length of in vitro culturing"

"Also spontaneous transformation of mice neural precursor/stem cells has been reported [58]. These transformed cells were detected already after ~10 passages of cell culture, and produced tumours in vivo upon administration into rodent brains." - Study
Dr. Terskikh comment on that at the 7:30 minutes mark:

He doesn't look concerned and explains why.

Also, I believe you don't need to multiply iPSC that many times because you can always get new ones for another blood extraction