Heavy Shedding On Minoxidil Two Weeks After Starting Treatment

ciocan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,

I started using Rogaine foam twice a day a month ago (on 4th december 2017 to be precise), and after about two weeks shedding started. The shedding doesn't stop. I also got dandruff from it.

Is this normal? When will shedding stop? When should I really panic and stop using it?

can'tBeatNature

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,

I started using Rogaine foam twice a day a month ago (on 4th december 2017 to be precise), and after about two weeks shedding started. The shedding doesn't stop. I also got dandruff from it.

Is this normal? When will shedding stop? When should I really panic and stop using it?
Yes, that's normal. Especially since you're doing it twice a day. Expect a strong shedding quickly into starting out. It's basically just forcing your hair follicles that were going to fall off anyways to fall sooner to synchronize with the rest of your hair. You just gotta wait 3months to see noticeable results since it takes the hair around that time to grow long enough to be significant cosmetically. If you continue shedding for another week or two, then maybe you should be concerned.Some people never really experience a shed and get all the hair growth benefits.Try using Nizoral shampoo every 2-3 days to get rid of that dandruff. It's got anti-androgenic properties, so it's good for hair maintenance/growth. Look it up. All you need is 2%. I was getting a lot of dry scalp/flakiness from rogaine foam, but Nizoral resolved that quickly.

tomcat

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
for dandruff u can crush 2 aspirin and mix it with ur daily use of shampoo problem solved ...

ciocan

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you continue shedding for another week or two, then maybe you should be concerned.Some people never really experience a shed and get all the hair growth benefits.

How much time is the shedding suppose to be? I'm already shedding for almost 3 weeks now. I mean strong shedding. Should I continue one more week and then stop?

can'tBeatNature

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How much time is the shedding suppose to be? I'm already shedding for almost 3 weeks now. I mean strong shedding. Should I continue one more week and then stop?

The problem is that finasteride is probably not enough to prevent the dht from damaging your hair follicles. So what you could be experiencing is a minoxidil induced shed + your male pattern baldness shed. Normally it's 1-2 weeks. Mine was 2 weeks. Sounds like your male pattern baldness is aggressive, I suggest upping your regimen by adding another topical or getting on dutasteride. Definitely do your own research first. For really aggressive male pattern baldness, you need an aggressive regimen, and only taking finasteride will probably not stop someone who could become slick bald in a year. It's best to act now while you can still salvage what you have now and potentially regrow what you lost. It's always easier to regrow hair that was recently off'ed.