Haven’t recovered from minoxidil shed after 7ish months.

Dontworryabtit

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I started taking both 5% rogaine foam (applying pretty much only to my hairline area) and 1mg propecia last august. I’m 18 years old and became weary of propecias affect on my development since I’m not done growing, so I stopped it in December. I’ve lost an unreal amount of density, due to the shed, in the front of my hair and my crown and scalp which I previously had no balding in. Also many hairs around my hairline began miniaturizing as well (noticed this in November). I also I started dermarolling in January hoping it and rogaine could preserve my hairline untill I feel comfortable taking propecia. I guess my main concern is that It’s now been like 7 months and I haven’t experienced anything but the initial shed. My hair has not f*****g recovered in the slightest in this time, not have I seen any regrowth. At this point I’m just regretting having even started this sh*t.
Does anyone have any advice for my situation? Does anyone know if my hair will return to normal, if so when can I expect that to happen? Thanks for any responses

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I started taking both 5% rogaine foam (applying pretty much only to my hairline area) and 1mg propecia last august. I’m 18 years old and became weary of propecias affect on my development since I’m not done growing, so I stopped it in December. I’ve lost an unreal amount of density, due to the shed, in the front of my hair and my crown and scalp which I previously had no balding in. Also many hairs around my hairline began miniaturizing as well (noticed this in November). I also I started dermarolling in January hoping it and rogaine could preserve my hairline untill I feel comfortable taking propecia. I guess my main concern is that It’s now been like 7 months and I haven’t experienced anything but the initial shed. My hair has not f*****g recovered in the slightest in this time, not have I seen any regrowth. At this point I’m just regretting having even started this sh*t.
Does anyone have any advice for my situation? Does anyone know if my hair will return to normal, if so when can I expect that to happen? Thanks for any responses
Yes, worst than covid, we need a vacine for minoxidil . lol

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
You probably also had a finasteride shed and seeing that you quit, might have been in the middle of that as well and recovery might be delayed.

Dontworryabtit

My Regimen
Reaction score
You probably also had a finasteride shed and seeing that you quit, might have been in the middle of that as well and recovery might be delayed.
Yeah I think that finasteride was definitely a big part of the shed, but the heavier shedding was in the areas I applied minoxidil. Just out of curiosity, when do you think my hair will recover? thanks for the feedback btw

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you took an up close picture of your scalp and see all upright regrowing hairs then your dealing with a telogen effluvium. Otherwise, if you see more and more hair shaft diameter variation as time passed and follicles that are starting to produce less terminal hair then DHT has resumed miniaturizing your hair because you stopped finasteride. If the latter is true than maybe minoxidil just isn’t strong enough to overpower the effect androgens have on your hair.
This to

PuzzleheadedNote3

My Regimen
Reaction score
Id recommend taking pictures but ive had the same experience i havent recovered from stopping minoxidil either after about a year. The hair on my temples are way worse.then when i started it and stopped.

Depression

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Id recommend taking pictures but ive had the same experience i havent recovered from stopping minoxidil either after about a year. The hair on my temples are way worse.then when i started it and stopped.
I quit for 3 days and I'm terrified to read you ..

Its giving me intense stress.

Do you know after how long minoxidil is down the sheeding starts and when it stops?

PuzzleheadedNote3

My Regimen
Reaction score
I quit for 3 days and I'm terrified to read you ..

Its giving me intense stress.

Do you know after how long minoxidil is down the sheeding starts and when it stops?
No way to know for sure. The complete.mechanism sint fully understood. My view is that its a vasodialator this artificially sustains follicles above where they are normally which shift the growth cycle of hair which causes shedding. Stopping can do that to in reverse imo. How much youll lose i have no idea. But this is the exact reason I dont use it. Id recommend looking into zix if you wanna help slow down the shedding. Im about to start it just to see if itll do anything

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil stoppage could I suppose trigger Telogen Effluvium. But that should last 6 months to a year at max.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil stoppage could I suppose trigger Telogen Effluvium. But that should last 6 months to a year at max.
I think I got this. I noticed a thinning of the safe zones a few months after I stopped. They seem to be improving now a couple months out.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think I got this. I noticed a thinning of the safe zones a few months after I stopped. They seem to be improving now a couple months out.
Did you notice excessive shedding or just thinning that slowly thickened up?

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you notice excessive shedding or just thinning that slowly thickened up?
Excessive shedding & visible thinning. I thought I had RHA or something because of where the thinning was, but I realized I was also tapering off minoxidil and that was more likely to be the cause. I wish I never started min, ended up being a complete wasted endeavor for me.

Depression

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Excessive shedding & visible thinning. I thought I had RHA or something because of where the thinning was, but I realized I was also tapering off minoxidil and that was more likely to be the cause. I wish I never started min, ended up being a complete wasted endeavor for me.

From how long after the stop did you see that you were losing your hair?

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
That may actually be something similar to what happened to me. Excessive shedding which then became thinning, especially the back of my head. Of course I ended up restarting my minoxidil so maybe I’ll recover faster

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
That may actually be something similar to what happened to me. Excessive shedding which then became thinning, especially the back of my head. Of course I ended up restarting my minoxidil so maybe I’ll recover faster
I'm thinking about restarting it as well but with needling and a non-pg 15% version with retin-A/caffein/something else. I got 0 noticeable benefits from 5% kirkland in around 9-10 months but I'm wondering if I dilute the 15% in half to 7.5% with the other ingredients and do the follica needling if it is worth the shot.

The shitty part is my hair was fine last year and I got greedy adding min, Now I've lost a ton of ground and actually need some gains.

ukrmd

My Regimen
Reaction score
im actually in the same position, i used it for well over a year shedding didnt decrease so i stopped and my hair never recovered. I do wonder though if this was just me also thinning with age too, but who knows... im now takinh zix so was thnking to try again

Have any of you that stopped because of shedding seen your hair start to grow back? @trialAcc @Selb ?

Also I have to say, I think 6 to 9 months mark is where many people see shedding no? Maybe you stopped prematurely

My main concern is that if you take it and the shedding is too severe and you stop, how likely your hair is to grow back, as in what you lost during the shed i mean. This is what is making me nervous from trying again

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
im actually in the same position, i used it for well over a year shedding didnt decrease so i stopped and my hair never recovered. I do wonder though if this was just me also thinning with age too, but who knows... im now takinh zix so was thnking to try again

Have any of you that stopped because of shedding seen your hair start to grow back? @trialAcc @Selb ?

Also I have to say, I think 6 to 9 months mark is where many people see shedding no? Maybe you stopped prematurely

My main concern is that if you take it and the shedding is too severe and you stop, how likely your hair is to grow back, as in what you lost during the shed i mean. This is what is making me nervous from trying again
I didn't stop because of shedding, I stopped because it wasn't doing anything, not even shedding. Contrary to what people will tell you on here, you won't go below true baseline by taking and quitting minoxidil. All it does is mess with the hair cycle, it doesn't magically speed up your Androgenetic Alopecia.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score

Well I only shed for id say 3 weeks before it stopped. The thinning is still there but It may recover or it might not. There’s also the possibility that it’s just where I would have been without minoxidil

ukrmd

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I only shed for id say 3 weeks before it stopped. The thinning is still there but It may recover or it might not. There’s also the possibility that it’s just where I would have been without minoxidil
exactly what i was hoping to hear thanks! Hmm it was so long ago im doubting myself but i remember i was was so horrified at the loss i stopped. It's possible I was having a natural shedding cycle as well maybe or just a bad phase in my life, because I can't find too many cases of people saying any difference to you guys

in any case im quite thin on top now so got nothing to lose i guess :/

ukrmd

My Regimen
Reaction score
I didn't stop because of shedding, I stopped because it wasn't doing anything, not even shedding. Contrary to what people will tell you on here, you won't go below true baseline by taking and quitting minoxidil. All it does is mess with the hair cycle, it doesn't magically speed up your Androgenetic Alopecia.
thanks alot, i think im going to take the plunge and add it to the regimen :)