Have you ever went too light with a system?

mjc007

My Regimen
Reaction score
Had my first consultation a couple of days back and ordered a poly system.

They had the full-colour range and we went through and we decided on a 7 with no grey. I'm in my mid 40's and have had my head shaved with clippers (no guard) for the last 20 years or so.

My natural hair is dark brown but it's got some very fine grey in the bio hair now that I've started to grow it out a little in readiness for the system. I'm going to have a skin fade so the little grey that I do have won't be an issue.

I often read about people going too dark but I'm wondering if I have gone too light, and if so does gel etc make it darker anyway?

Not enough hair in place to do a sample and I trust the stylist - am I overthinking it?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So i received my piece finally, it was a swiss lace piece that was supposed to resemble the same specs as a stockpiece and it was absolute crap. The colour was correct but quite a few red hairs and the hair was definitely not freestyle. I cut the base then shortened the hair but the way the hairs stood were more brushback than anything. Looked so silly on my head, I can safely say i will never order from HairHub again, Eric at Northwestlace is miles above them.

Sorry, you've lost me?

It's grammatically correct to say 'Have you ever gone too light?', rather than 'Have you ever went too light?'. The latter is incorrect grammatically.

mjc007

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have we ever gone too light?
Okay...

This was my first post and I had to correct the title to include 'seven words' and it suggested that grammar so that's what I went with.

I must just say, I've been a lurker for many months and finally taken the plunge to go ahead and get a consultation and order one. I'm sh*t scared about and even though I'm thick-skinned and not offended easily this is the one thing that I'm worried about - people talking about it behind my back.

So to come onto a forum and post a legitimate question and to get a response such as this is pretty demoralising.

For some of us, this is a massive thing. It's taken me months to post and I'm getting ribbed over grammar..... Disgusting

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've never known anyone to go too light, but it could well be a problem because it won't match your sides and furthermore it will fade over time so it will get even lighter.

But if it is a light-ish colour then your salon will be able to dye it for you. Just a touch darker maybe. You could get them to test a dye on the hair they cut from your system first, just to be sure.

If you look at my recent posts, you can see my system on which I have had the hairline dyed from a light brown to black. The hair takes the dye very well and lasts a good 4 months or so, by which time I would replace the system anyway. Thinking about it.... you might achieve a really good hairline because you will be dyeing light to dark brown - especially seeing as you are going poly (hopefully UTS).

BTW when you say "7" it means nothing unfortunately, because salons use different colour charts. My salon doesn't even have a "1B" (which is my ideal colour!) even though it is one of the most popular off-black shades out there.

J_D_R

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

They had the full-colour range and we went through and we decided on a 7 with no grey. I'm in my mid 40's and have had my head shaved with clippers (no guard) for the last 20 years or so.

My natural hair is dark brown but it's got some very fine grey in the bio hair now that I've started to grow it out a little in readiness for the system. I'm going to have a skin fade so the little grey that I do have won't be an issue.

I often read about people going too dark but I'm wondering if I have gone too light, and if so does gel etc make it darker anyway?

Not enough hair in place to do a sample and I trust the stylist - am I overthinking it?

Better to be too light than too dark as it's easier and less damaging to darken a system as oppose to lightening it.
Incidentally, I've found it's best to use a dye a couple of shades lighter than the colour you wish to achieve if you're darkening a unit as the processed hair seems to just grab the dye.

Last edited:

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay...

This was my first post and I had to correct the title to include 'seven words' and it suggested that grammar so that's what I went with.

I must just say, I've been a lurker for many months and finally taken the plunge to go ahead and get a consultation and order one. I'm sh*t scared about and even though I'm thick-skinned and not offended easily this is the one thing that I'm worried about - people talking about it behind my back.

So to come onto a forum and post a legitimate question and to get a response such as this is pretty demoralising.

For some of us, this is a massive thing. It's taken me months to post and I'm getting ribbed over grammar..... Disgusting
Just disregard those who have no valuable input. I’ve seen a lot of these posts since I joined a year ago. Don’t let them get you down. There are several members on here who enjoy actually helping. There is no moderation on this forum so it’s a free for all it seems.

Anyways, I know I switch between #2 and #3 depending on what’s available due to COVID and I will tell you that if you use a wet looking hair product it will look darker. I can make my #3 look like a #2.

Deg is also correct in that it is tough to talk specifically about colors because they do vary between vendors. Some of my #3s are others #2s.

Remember… you are your own worst critic. The average Joe or Jill can not see the subtle differences we may see.

Goof luck in your journey.

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in my mid 40's also and have so much grey I order 70% grey :D

I would have thought most people have at least a hint of grey by their mid 40's (?)

I saw a well known sportsman who wears who's almost 60 years old and has no grey and it looks odd.

mny

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a 1B10, but I've worn 2B10 before without anyone (openly) noticing. Gel/product in the hair definitely helps.

Even if your first one turns out a bit lighter than you'd like, the average person on the street is going to think sun-bleaching, not hair-system. Particularly paired with a skin fade - there are lots of images out there of male hair models with darker skin-fade sides and lighter color on the top. And it looks fine.

Stylists tend to be able to guess hair colors within 1 point or so, which is typically good enough. Anecdotally: every place I've ever gone for a consultation, they took one look at me and said 1B or 2B, without needing to investigate a sample under a microscope or anything.

Milo Bloom

My Regimen
Reaction score

#7 is dark blonde and dark brown is #2 or 3. I have gray in my own hair and color it dark brown to match my #2 0% gray units. It’s easier to darken your hair to match the system than vice versa. Also easier to color your own gray hair than add any gray hair to a system.

J_D_R

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have gray in my own hair and color it dark brown to match my #2 0% gray units. It’s easier to darken your hair to match the system than vice versa. Also easier to color your own gray hair than add any gray hair to a system.

I personally wouldn't recommend someone in their 40s having a solid block of colour as dark as a #2.

Blue eyes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
personally wear a full cap so blending the color is not so important. I do however will order it a little bit darker as wear and tear on the system including shampooing and conditioning will lighten the color.