have to stop taking propecia

badasshair

Reaction score
unfortunately, after a year of taking propecia with success, i have to stop due to my lack of sex drive. my revivogen and spironolactone 5% are in the mail and on the way. for those of you who have been taking propecia long term, did you ever notice anything like this, where you've been on finasteride for one year then lose your sex drive? did it ever come back with continued use of the drug?

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm very sorry to hear that. That's terrible. BUt I wasn't clear. Are you saying you don't have interest in sex? Or that you are having difficulty with getting/maintaining erections?

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
badasshair said:
i have no interest in sex whatsoever. i still masterbate every other day, but no interest in sex.

This is not medical advice. I don't know your situation. But I think that it may be premature for you to quit finasteride. You seem happy with the results, and you seem capable of erections. You don't seem to be presenting any other sides. So your decreased desire, but regular onanism, suggest something other than a physical problem. But I am not a medical expert. Are you under a lot more emotional stress (losing hair will do that...)? Other factors in your life? Perhaps you can speak with a therapist?

badasshair

Reaction score
to be honest with you, even if it's all in my head (which i seriously doubt, as one year ago i could jack off twice a day and enjoy it, now i only jack off once every other day, which feels like a chore in itself), i'm tired of taking this drug, when there are no long term effect studies out there. i've seen several guys post all over the internet how they have permanent sides, and now i just hope i go back to my old horny self in a couple of weeks. i'm tired of thinking about all the bad things that it could be doing to my body. it's an addiction, and i'm over it. i'm just sick of it all and would feel much more comfortable using topicals at this point in my life. i feel pretty comfortable switching regimens at this point as HairLossTalk.com had success using topicals as well. it's just a personal preference, that's all. if i do go bald, i'm sure i will find someone out there who likes me for who i am. so f_ _k propecia. i'm out.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Badasshair,

Do as you please bud but keep a few things in mind:

1. As we age it is very normal for people to lose some of their sex drive. Maybe not all guys but many, whether or not they take Finasteride, do. I am not as horny at 27 as I was a 17. Big f*cking whoop.

2. Masturbating 2x a day is a little excessive. No offense bud but you need to go get a life. Staying home and jerking off isnt healthy to do excessively. Whacking it a few times a week is fine but after that use that excessive "energy" to get into shape at the gym, learn a new hobby, chase some hot piece of ***.

3. Topicals are far more of a pain in the *** then internals unless you keep your hair buzzed or shaved. If you cant handle popping a little pill 1x a day then I dont think it is reasonable to expect adherence to a topical routine.

Finally, as far as long-term studies go, Finasteride has been on the market for close to 20yrs as Proscar. Finasteride has a very clean safety profile with a very low occurrence of side-effects for healthy males. We also know that men born without the ability to produce the Type II 5ar (pseudohermaphrodites) lead healthy and normal lives (except for early life when, due to low androgen levels in the fetus, may have defects of the genitals).

Anyhow, as I started this post, do as you please bud... Just know the facts :)

PS
Dont let paranoid rambling of Finasteride side-effects get to you! There isnt a day that goes by that some guy makes some outrageous claim about Finasteride that makes NO sense (IE getting weaker at the gym when, by blocking the 5ar, Finasteride INCREASES DHT by 15%! Testosterone, NOT DHT, is mainly responsible for muscle growth. Not to mention crap like "Finasteride made my skin sag" or whatever else silliness some guys convince themselves of!)

badasshair

Reaction score
socks, do you honestly think that those people that say that they have permanent sexual sides from the drug are lying? somehow i don't think so, especially when there are so many people out there who claim that they have permanent sides. hell, there's a whole website dedicated to those who have permanent sexual sides from propecia.

Monkey

Reaction score
loss of libido is a symptom of stress or depression - which can be brought on big time by hairloss. It could well be a mental thing rather than what treatments you are using. I'd say go and see a doctor, but I did that and they are a waste of time.

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Monkey said:
loss of libido is a symptom of stress or depression - which can be brought on big time by hairloss. It could well be a mental thing rather than what treatments you are using. I'd say go and see a doctor, but I did that and they are a waste of time.

it can also be brought on by Propecia.

biff

Established Member
Reaction score
If I was you I would quit for a few weeks to see if your libido comes back and then start again on a lower dose. Everyone is different and I'm sure 1mg is too much for some people. Try taking 0.5mg (Propecia) a day or 1.25mg (Proscar) every other day.