Have Some Questions About Using A Derma Pen

kungfukenny

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My electric derma stamp pen came today and I’m looking forward to using it, just wondered if anyone could help me with a few queries? Would be greatly appreciated.

Is it okay to use 1.5mm length, using every other day?

Also, do you run the pen along your scalp, or lift it up and press down?

Can’t seem to find much information on this. Thanks!

furrydome

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You just have to do a lot of research... spend time searching and digging through this forum. There are nuggets of gold in here if you can find them.

Quick answer though: typical use seems to be 1.5mm every week or two. Too often and you might not be doing yourself any good:
wound_healing.jpg

furrydome

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
FWIW I've been doing 2.0mm with a Derminator every 3 or so weeks and after 2 years of trying things, that seems to be the best. Also less often = less risk of infection.

I apply antibiotic ointment afterwards and leave it on for 12+ hours, because why not? Heal faster, lower risk.

This is practically a medical procedure, got to do it right.

Heinrich Harrer

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
FWIW I've been doing 2.0mm with a Derminator every 3 or so weeks and after 2 years of trying things, that seems to be the best. Also less often = less risk of infection.

I apply antibiotic ointment afterwards and leave it on for 12+ hours, because why not? Heal faster, lower risk.

What about 0,5 eod? And what antibiotic brand are you using? I just put alcohol solution 70%, it’s the same thing I put on the microneedler before rolling.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I mostly agree with the above ^.
I use Derminator 2mm once a week, leaving it 24hours before any topical Minoxidil application. I do this primarily because it is believed that Minoxidil has a counter-collagen effect (against the logic behind microneedling) and some say it's better to do this as to avoid Minoxidil going systemic. I never seem to have suffered any ill effects from applying Minoxidil immediately after, but I thought I'd try doing it this way to see how it goes.
At the beginning I used emu oil immediately after and leaving it overnight, then wash it off next morning. I stopped doing it, as I seem to have no infection issues, and the recovery seems fast enough.

Last edited:

VivinellAria

My Regimen
Reaction score
I also use a derma stamp pen, 1.5 mm needles, but I'm really unsure if I should use it more often or not. Currently it's once a week but I feel like it's not enough, and I don't go very deep with the needles because it's quite painful on the temples.

Jk1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i use a 1.5mm dermaroller over the whole nw6 area as its quick

i was looking at the derminator but wondering how slow it is to do the whole head nw6 area ? also is it noisy ?

and for dermapen copies anyone have any links to a brand they use and like ?

furrydome

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What about 0,5 eod? And what antibiotic brand are you using?

EOD seems too often but might be enough to stimulate growth factors. I think some Korean researchers showed results at below 1.0mm, IIRC it was during the World Hair Congress that hellouser went to.

I've just been using generic triple antibiotic ointment. Probably any of those will be just as good.

I also use a derma stamp pen, 1.5 mm needles, but I'm really unsure if I should use it more often or not. Currently it's once a week but I feel like it's not enough, and I don't go very deep with the needles because it's quite painful on the temples.

If you're not pressing it all the way in, you're not getting the benefit of 1.5mm. Lidocaine cream is cheap.

i was looking at the derminator but wondering how slow it is to do the whole head nw6 area ? also is it noisy ?

The Derminator is really loud. CLICK CLICK CLICK yeah people will hear it. They have a 12-needle version now that might be quicker. Still I think anything is better than those rollers.

kungfukenny

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
EOD seems too often but might be enough to stimulate growth factors. I think some Korean researchers showed results at below 1.0mm, IIRC it was during the World Hair Congress that hellouser went to.

I've just been using generic triple antibiotic ointment. Probably any of those will be just as good.

If you're not pressing it all the way in, you're not getting the benefit of 1.5mm. Lidocaine cream is cheap.

The Derminator is really loud. CLICK CLICK CLICK yeah people will hear it. They have a 12-needle version now that might be quicker. Still I think anything is better than those rollers.
What lidocaine cream is best to use? Is it okay to use in your head?

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

You've been using the Derminator for 2 years or just trying things in general?

Renegade000

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's been about 2.5 years of wounding, 2 years with RU/daro (switched back and forth). Gained almost a full norwood (3 to 2), but it's still thickening in the upper temples.

Patience is everything.

How long after starting the wounding did you notice results?