Hats

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score
So we might be losing our hair, but we can still look like our old selves in a hat right? I wear a hat more often now (indoors etc) but honestly before I started losing my hair I ALWAYS wore a hat outside, even in the scorching weather at summer time. Maybe I have a hat fetish. So does anyone find they wear a hat all the time now? Or do you feel more comfortable in yourself with a hat on? It's kind of my comfort blanket, I don't like being seen without it.

Fender89

Established Member
Reaction score
not really yet. Can you recommend any cool styles of hat other than baseball caps?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Hats dont look so appropriate over the age of 20. And wearing a hat inside? Like wearing gloves or sunglasses inside.

emex4

Established Member
Reaction score
I disagree saf. Where I live (Vancouver, Canada) its very common to wear baseball hats. Even indoors. I go to plenty of pubs/bars/clubs and theres always a ton of guys wearing hats. parties too. I see people wearing hats indoors all the time.

I always wore a hat everywhere even before any hairloss and so did/do most of my friends. maybe it just varies by location.

captain_que

Established Member
Reaction score
It all depends on where you´re at really.. If you´re at a laid back club (especially hip-hop), nobody will think twice about it. Also if you have that style that goes with wearing hats. In formal situations though it´s a no go.
I´ve actually been asked several times by people I know when I´ve gone out if I´m wearing a hat because I´m losing hair.. Kinda tells you what a lot of people think but don´t say. When you´re asked that question however you better just go with it..

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
If it's a hat and tie then wear a fedora?

It's true that you can become too attached to a hat. For awhile I wore a hat every moment of every day aside from when I slept. But I got tired of trying to hide my hairline, so I just started slickin my hair back and throwin my receded hairline right out there. '

But this idea SAf. that over 20 is a silly to wear one.. I see plenty of much older people wearing hats, it doesn't look inappropriate at all. There's no cut off age for a hat.

Can you recommend any cool styles of hat other than baseball caps?

Yeah the cadet cap/flat top army caps are what I prefer. Flat caps are great as well if you can pull one off.

s.a.f

Reaction score
zeroheat said:
lol wearing hat indoors is NOT like wearing gloves/sunglasses indoor..
It is here, Over here there are only 2 types of men who regularly wear hats.
[attachment=0:3j4pdvkg]wigger-15344.jpg[/attachment:3j4pdvkg]
[attachment=1:3j4pdvkg]OLD-MAN-HAT.jpg[/attachment:3j4pdvkg]

Attachments

• OLD-MAN-HAT.jpg
    OLD-MAN-HAT.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 285
  • wigger-15344.jpg
    wigger-15344.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 1,648

emex4

Established Member
Reaction score
dudemon said:
Indoors: the hat must come off eventually. Can't live under one forever, especially in a formal situation where you have to put on a suit and tie. Are you going to wear a baseball cap with a suit and tie? Didn't think so! (If you do, you'll look like a tool)

Besides, when you always wear a hat, the people you hang out with will begin to suspect that something is up with you wearing a hat all the time. After a while you aren't going to fool them anymore, especially if you become the only one wearing a hat all the time, and nobody else does. What if it all the sudden becomes not cool to wear hats?

Of course the hat comes off eventually. Im not suggesting anyone wear a hat all the time and especially not in a formal situation with a suit and tie, that would be ridiculous. I was just responding to s.a.f's claim that wearing a hat past the age of 20 is stupid.

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
dudemon said:
Besides, when you always wear a hat, the people you hang out with will begin to suspect that something is up with you wearing a hat all the time. After a while you aren't going to fool them anymore, especially if you become the only one wearing a hat all the time, and nobody else does. What if it all the sudden becomes not cool to wear hats?
This happened to me. Two of my so called friends noticed i'd wear a hat the majority of the times (even inside a cinema, yeah i was that bad, but some days i just couldn't conceal the temples), and i noticed they'd ask me in a subtle mocking type of way "Why do you always wear a hat?!" or one of them would try and take it off me, which is when i got really pissed off but i couldn't show it...shortly after i realised that they weren't joking, but being assholes. Anyway now i rarely wear my hat when i'm out with friends, whether or not i manage to conceal my temples (well lately i've made sure to style my hair an hour before i go out), i'll go out anyway..

However one habit i've had for some 2 or so years is that i wear a beanie inside my house. Reason being is my hair is rather course and slightly curly, so as you can imagine, it's rather difficult to style, so every morning i dampen it with some water, dry it off then wear the beanie for a short while and it's not so curly anymore..afterwards i can almost easily hide my temples and 'face the world'.

Draco88

Established Member
Reaction score
^^I've seen a few guys in my classes at uni wear hats inside, like all the time..i didn't think about it until i saw one of them without a hat, and thus realised why. I actually think that's when i stopped wearing mine..but it would be so difficult, being surrounded by guys with thick heads of hair, one of them looked pretty good with a buzz cut.

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score
Using it to completely hide the fact you're going bald or to deceive people is just wrong. But if you've told them you are losing your hair and you just don't like people to see, then I don't see the problem. I will continue to wear hats everywhere. It's obviously not a good idea to wear one at formal situations (I don't go to any) or work (depending on what your job is) though.

Belmondo

Established Member
Reaction score
BornIn89 said:
So we might be losing our hair, but we can still look like our old selves in a hat right? [...]

Absolutely. If I were bald, I would wear one all the time.

Boondock

Reaction score
Hats are not a solution.

There are only two types of hats young people can wear: baseball caps and beanies.

Baseball caps work for teenagers or white trash.

Beanies work in cold weather, on some people. I for one look sh*t in them.

If you're 20+ the best you can hope for is to wear a beanie outside in cold climates. And even then it tends to work most on foppish, student types of people. Forget about it if you're in the world of work.

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
Hats are the modern toupee...either way you're hiding hair loss. I haven't worn a hat in 5 or so years and I lived under one from 16 to 28.

I disagree. Lots of people wear hats, maybe because it's cold, maybe just because they look stylish. Either way without your hair to separate you from the millions of balding guys out there I think a hat is a nice way to be "you" again. Put your own stamp on how you look, instead of being just another shiny head.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I'm not saying that wearing a hat is'nt an intentional cover-up, for those of us with extensive hairloss. I use hats exclusively for that reason. I won't deny that I am hiding my bald head, I just don't want anyone to see me like that. Given my experiences while going out uncovered, I refuse this notion that you just have to be upfront and honest about these things because I am usually punished for such honesty.... so I put on the hat and avoid all that awkward, uncomfortable crap that I would otherwise have to deal with. It sucks that I have to resort to that but it is better than having people laughing and staring at me because I'm bald.

BornIn89

Established Member
Reaction score
uncomfortable man said:
I'm not saying that wearing a hat is'nt an intentional cover-up, for those of us with extensive hairloss. I use hats exclusively for that reason. I won't deny that I am hiding my bald head, I just don't want anyone to see me like that. Given my experiences while going out uncovered, I refuse this notion that you just have to be upfront and honest about these things because I am usually punished for such honesty.... so I put on the hat and avoid all that awkward, uncomfortable crap that I would otherwise have to deal with. It sucks that I have to resort to that but it is better than having people laughing and staring at me because I'm bald.

I agree with this. What's so wrong about people using it as a cover up anyway? I'd compare it more to a padded bra or something rather than a toupee.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Right, it's not the best analogy or the most fair one. A toupe is litterally trying to fool people that you have hair. A hat is not that specific. You could be bald under there or not while a toupe leaves no room for interpretation.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Boondock said:
Hats are not a solution.

There are only two types of hats young people can wear: baseball caps and beanies.

Baseball caps work for teenagers or white trash.

Beanies work in cold weather, on some people. I for one look sh*t in them.

If you're 20+ the best you can hope for is to wear a beanie outside in cold climates. And even then it tends to work most on foppish, student types of people. Forget about it if you're in the world of work.

My thoughts exactly, as I said before hats are not a standard item of everyday clothing look at people with hair how often do you see them wearing a hat? Maybe on a cold day and thats about it but the average guy will wear one only a couple of times a year maybe if their outside in the cold or rain. But if its not cold or raining there is no excuse to cover your head.