Has Saw Palmetto Helped?

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes it has been officially a year since I have been on SP ! I know this thread may appear useless to those who think SP is just a waste of time, but I'll let you know how I have got on anyway...

I think I started late april, I was 16, my hair was just one layer... I got comments about me balding but I didn't think too much into it, so I continued taking it. I also started Nizoral a month after... also experimented with Nettle Extract, Vitamin A, Flaxseed Oil, Vitamin B... I have dropped all those apart from the Nettle extract. About 8 months after in December I had my hair layered, my crown looked nearly invisible apart from the greasy hair days and after around a month my crown was quite visible again... but not too bad.I have had no sides from this whatsoever.

But the thing I don't know is if Saw Palmetto did anything good for my hair? Could it have been the nettle extract along with Nizoral? Was it the haircut? Nevertheless I will still continue with Saw Palmetto as I do think it has benefited my hair a little, however even though my crown looks smaller I still see my hair thinning around areas of my scalp, so either Saw Palmetto is losing its effect or I may need something stronger, or may even need a treatment like minoxidil.

What does everyone else think? Or has anyone got any recommendations?

Mopless

Established Member
Reaction score
I believe there is too many studies showing Saw Palmetto as effective/helpful as a hairloss treatment. However, I do also think it generally is not strong enough to regrow anything, but slowing hairloss down I could see. More then likely any visible results you are seeing from your current regime is from Nizoral.

Are you using Nizoral 1% or 2%. And what dosage and type of Saw Palmetto are you taking?

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
I am using Nizoral 2%

I am using the gel capsule saw palmetto from Holland And Barrett and taking 2 in the morning and then 2 at night.

I will obviously switch to finasteride when I reach 18, but this is just while I am still under age.

hopeofhair

Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread. I started taking Holland and Barratt saw palmetto tablets a month ago.

Are you taking the sp standardised extract tablets? If so 4 a day sounds like quite a high dose. The recommendation is 1 a day.

So far Ive found my hair is looking a bit thicker after a month of being on saw palmetto. Im also using Nizoral once a week and Alpecin.

Hoppi

Reaction score
In my honest opinion... s-equol is the new saw palmetto :)

And if it's not.. then it really should be!! lol

Hoppi ^^

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
hopeofhair said:
Sorry to bump an old thread. I started taking Holland and Barratt saw palmetto tablets a month ago.

Are you taking the sp standardised extract tablets? If so 4 a day sounds like quite a high dose. The recommendation is 1 a day.

So far Ive found my hair is looking a bit thicker after a month of being on saw palmetto. Im also using Nizoral once a week and Alpecin.

I was taking the Saw Palmetto 450mg where it tells me to take 2 capsules twice a day. However I am now on the Saw Palmetto standardised extract tablets. Where I am taking 1 a day. (I brought this by accident) now I'm not sure if I should carry on taking this one, or go back to the other ones. :dunno: