Has My Hairline Changed? Shall Is Top Taking Propecia? (pics)

idkovo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm 25, i have been taking propecia for i think about 1.5 years. I started taking it because i noticed that my hairline had receeded. There is 0 history of hairloss in my family, although my mother does have a high hairline. It's hard for me to tell if my hairline has changed since i have been taking the drug, to me the pictures look pretty much the same. But I feel like it has receeded a little more and my hair feels thinner. What do you think?

I'm also considering stopping taking the drug. I'm not sure if its actually helping me. And the sides do worry me a lot and are becoming a bit of an issue. I have also read that some people feel the drug made their hair worse, could this be happening to me? I do feel like since starting the drug my hair has become thinner and feels lifeless.

Is it possible that the drug is doing nothing for me and this is just my natural hairline now?

Attachments

• april 2019.jpg
    april 2019.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 336

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Drug did zero for you. But after stopping you would loose hairs may be ,who knows! If you didn't take it you probabaly would have lost hairs.
But you are right, the drug did nothing for you. Your hairline has been remain same in those years.Its all up tonyou to decide which way to go

Unlucky93

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just because you haven't gained doesn't mean that finasteride hasn't helped you maintain. If I was you, I'd continue using it or I'd try dutasteride or min.

Gary Ferguson

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Drug did zero for you. But after stopping you would loose hairs may be ,who knows! If you didn't take it you probabaly would have lost hairs.
But you are right, the drug did nothing for you. Your hairline has been remain same in those years.Its all up tonyou to decide which way to go
The drug worked for him he has clearly maintained if not regained some density around the hairline, finasteride for the most part maintains that’s all anyone should expect from it

idkovo

My Regimen
Reaction score
The drug worked for him he has clearly maintained if not regained some density around the hairline, finasteride for the most part maintains that’s all anyone should expect from it

Thankyou all for your input! I have been experiencing some sides taking the drug so i really want to stop taking it, but im scared that if i stop taking it, a lot of hair will fall out. How can I know if the drug has stopped further hair loss, or maybe i just dont respond to it and wouldnt have lost more hair anyway? Is it possible i dont have male pattern baldness and my hairline has just matured terribly? (Maybe living in denial there)!

Raphael84

My Regimen
Reaction score
@idkovo

I would tend to agree with @Gary Ferguson. You definitely do not appear to have lost further hair and if anything, maybe regained a little density in the hairline. It’s impossible to say for sure, but of course the complication of hair loss arises with discontinuing Finasteride.

However, sides seem to effect much more guys than reported. Maybe it’s placebo, and the idea of taking this terrible drug which has caused such negative side effects, could be doing the same to me? I believe many guys, myself included also over think it.

Having said that, obviously taking Finasteride is not ideal for the hormonal affect it has on your body. Very soon quality topical finasteride will be arriving on the market. It has no reported sides and it’s initial results look exciting. It is significantly more expensive than generic Finasteride but you can’t put a price on your health.

It’s a tough decision that only you can make. Could it be worth continuing until topical finasteride becomes available. You can already source it from some suppliers but I’m not sure of their quality and consistency.

Dr Cole for example intends for the Athens clinic to be able to write prescriptions for its patients in the near future.

I hope that helps a little. You are not alone.

Gary Ferguson

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thankyou all for your input! I have been experiencing some sides taking the drug so i really want to stop taking it, but im scared that if i stop taking it, a lot of hair will fall out. How can I know if the drug has stopped further hair loss, or maybe i just dont respond to it and wouldnt have lost more hair anyway? Is it possible i dont have male pattern baldness and my hairline has just matured terribly? (Maybe living in denial there)!
What sides and how long have u had them? It has definitely halted you’re hairloss so you’re responding well, there’s no way you’re a non responder as you would’ve lost ground. It’s just a case of whether the sides are more important than your hair, it’s a completely personal call but maybe see your doctor or derm about it

Mitko1

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You say that there is not any history of hairloss in your family but if your close family members aren't experienceing it that doesn't mean you are not genetically predisposed to. Your lifestyle might be the problem. Genetics hold the gun but lifestyle pulls the trigger. Improve your lifestyle. Hair loss on the top of your head is not always androgenetic alopecia. It might be due to vitamin and mineral deficiency or poor blood flow to the scalp.

My advice is to stop taking the drug for a while but if you continue to lose hair - Start again. I will tell you how to naturally balance your hormone in the future if the following steps don't work for you:

1. Drink plenty of water. At least two litters per day.

2. Reduce stress as much as you can.

3. Change your diet. Eat more foods rich in zinc, biotin, iron, and vitamin D. Especially nuts. Eat more sunflower seed, pumpkin seeds and peanuts. Avoid eating junk food. Junk food is terrible for your hilair health.

4. Improve blood flow. Massage your scalp, rub the nails of your fingers or do hand stands.

Another useful information: That might be your natural hairline. Rise your eyebrows as high as you can. Your hairline should be located on the top of the last forehead wrinkle.

Last edited:

idkovo

My Regimen
Reaction score
No one should go into finasteride expecting regrowth it’s not the usual reaction, it’s a drug for maintenance, which is why people pair it with minoxidil to get some regrowth

I often read that minoxidil doesn't work for the hairline and is best used for the crown (mine is fine),
You say that there is not any history of hairloss in your family but if your close family members aren't experienceing it that doesn't mean you are not genetically predisposed to. Your lifestyle might be the problem. Genetics hold the gun but lifestyle pulls the trigger. Improve your lifestyle. Hair loss on the top of your head is not always androgenetic alopecia. It might be due to vitamin and mineral deficiency or poor blood flow to the scalp.

My advice is to stop taking the drug for a while but if you continue to lose hair - Start again. I will tell you how to naturally balance your hormone in the future if the following steps don't work for you:

3. Change your diet. Eat more foods rich in zinc, biotin, iron, and vitamin D. Especially nuts. Eat more sunflower seed, pumpkin seeds and peanuts. Avoid eating junk food. Junk food is terrible for your hilair health.

4. Improve blood flow. Massage your scalp, rub the nails of your fingers or do hand stands.

Another useful information: That might be your natural hairline. Rise your eyebrows as high as you can. Your hairline should be located on the top of the last forehead wrinkle.

Thankyou for the help! Both parents, and grandparents on both sides had full heads of hair and so do my siblings, find myself very unlucky to have my hairline receeding!

I have a good lifestyle, workouts daily, drink plenty of water and i dont eat any unhealthy foods. Dont smoke, drink, etc. I am often stressed but i'm working on decreasing stress levels. I also take vitamin and biotin supplements.

If i was to stop taking the drug, should i stop cold turkey or slowly decrease the amount i take? Also, how fast could i expect to lose hair if it has been preventing hair loss?

Mitko1

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you wrinkle up your forehead. It might be your natural hairline. Find pictures of your hairline when you were younger to compare. Improving your blood flow will be a good idea too.

Gary Ferguson

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Sorry but that is horrific advice he has clear recession in his hairline and had clear signs of thinning in the forelock, looking at those pictures finasteride has thickened up and maintained his hairline going off of the drug will only cause his male pattern baldness to resume its course

deathtodut

My Regimen
Reaction score
You have clearly regrew some hairline and maintained it well. I am being honest when I say that 2017 picture is not a high/natural hairline, and it clearly shows signs of male pattern baldness that I would argue are past the first signs. Notice how it is not just the temples either. You had some loss going into the middle of your hair which you have helped to regrow. Stay with the finasteride.

idkovo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thankyou everyone. What Norwood would you say i am?

I have actually been considering an fue transplant to fix my hairline, and lowering my dose of finasteride. I really want my temple areas to be filled out again, it has completely destroyed my confidence