Has Minoxidil Ever Been Used At Concentrations Higher Than 5%?

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was reading this review on Minoxidil

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6691938/

and they mention that 5% gives better results than 2%, which got me wondering, have higher concentrations than 5% ever been tried? Seems to me higher %s than 5 might give better results yet.

Here's a relevant quote from the review:

"A study by McCoy et al demonstrated that an increase in topical minoxidil concentration up to 15% in patients predicted to be non-responders increased the clinical response compared to that associated with 5% minoxidil without cardiac side effects.43 Therefore, the non-responders may have a clinical response with increased concentration of minoxidil."

However it also mentions that side effects are more common with 5% than 2%, so maybe that's why higher concentrations haven't been tried. Still, seems to me it would be good to try.

Last edited:

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Adding dermarolling is better than increasing your minoxidil percentage, does the same thing in terms of aiding absorption and getting more minoxidil to the follicles along with all the other benefits of needling. Plus the higher percentages tend to be much more expensive than your regular 5% minoxidil. All in all needling is a must with minoxidil imo and a better and cheaper option to 15% minoxidil but it's up to you.

E-nC

My Regimen
Reaction score
Adding dermarolling is better than increasing your minoxidil percentage, does the same thing in terms of aiding absorption and getting more minoxidil to the follicles along with all the other benefits of needling. Plus the higher percentages tend to be much more expensive than your regular 5% minoxidil. All in all needling is a must with minoxidil imo and a better and cheaper option to 15% minoxidil but it's up to you.

How well does 15% do?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have there been any studies looking into how it stacks up against 5%?

I don't think so, but anecdotal reports show a fair improvement.

NamelessGhoul

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
used 15% and 10% in the past. if you have been using minoxidil for any number of years, it won't add much improvement IMO. it will increase your body hair more though. at least it did for me, which also suggests that minoxidil absorption is a non-issue

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on 12-15% minoxidil for the past 3 years (as well as microneedling+Finasteride). To be honest, it added nothing more than the 5% as far as I can see, but since I have not been experiencing any side effects I just continue using it.
I had a transplant in the frontal 1/3, but the crown is still at risk of miniaturising so I intend to do whatever possible to hold onto it.

E-nC

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on 12-15% minoxidil for the past 3 years (as well as microneedling+Finasteride). To be honest, it added nothing more than the 5% as far as I can see, but since I have not been experiencing any side effects I just continue using it.
I had a transplant in the frontal 1/3, but the crown is still at risk of miniaturising so I intend to do whatever possible to hold onto it.

What about microneedling?

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you gotten better results from microneedling than using higher doses of minoxidil?
I can't exactly draw comparison with the two, as they are used in combination. What I would say is since the addition of any form of microneedling, the scalp feels less greasy and healthier with no itching. I will continue with microneedling as the ongoing costs are relatively low, and I can't see any way it would do any harm provided it is carried out correctly without micro-cuts. The only noticeable gain i ever had was with Finasteride which was also used in combination with the regime.
In short, I honestly cannot isolate the impact of each treatment other than the clear difference achieved by Finasteride. However it simply wasn't enough and I went for the transplant eventually (and still going with all regimes).

Last edited: