Has Anyone Tried the Christopher Walken Method?

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/30/m...AND&adxnnlx=1185511607-Mc1f53A1jbuPm3TCXT7VHQ

30walk.184.jpg

He rises early and runs two miles on a treadmill that dominates his small suite. Then he showers and vigorously yanks his hair for 10 minutes. Walken considers his Don King-like mane to be essential to his film success. (When he goes out, though, he keeps his signature shock of hair hidden under what he calls ''my Henry Fonda 'On Golden Pond' floppy hat.'')

''Tony Perkins taught me to yank it to increase the blood flow,'' Walken says. ''I can't explain it. I've thought about it a lot. It's just a force of nature. It's like animals with the colored feather and tails. If I had a tail, I wouldn't need the hair. They matted it down for 'Catch Me if You Can,' and I felt naked.''

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
:eek: :hairy: :eek:

http://www.wischik.com/lu/massage/ljwinstruct.html

Quote:

Full hand sideways scalp wringing. Cures baldness! One hand in one direction, other in other, squashing skin in between.

http://ssl.adgrafix.com/users/lifestag/ ... ative.html

Quote:

J Dermatol 1990 Apr;17(4):240-6
A new apparatus for hair regrowth in male-pattern baldness.
Toshitani S, Nakayama J, Yahata T, Yasuda M, Urabe H
Department of Dermatology, School of Medicine, Fukuoka University, Japan.

A newly devised apparatus (Scalp-Tension-Relaxer, STR) can efficiently promote hair regrowth in patients with male-pattern baldness. When this apparatus is applied, the scalp is pushed up to relieve tension on the vertex. The efficacy rate of hair regrowth in alopecia patients was 40%. An investigation into the basis for the hair regrowth caused by this apparatus was directed toward the changes in hemodynamics and skin temperature of the scalp. During and after use of this apparatus, subjects exhibited an increase both in the cutaneous blood flow rate (as determined by laser Doppler flowmetry) and in the cutaneous temperature (as determined by thermography).

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
"Hair Pulling" is a hairloss prevention method that's been around for years. I even did it for awhile - way before most of today's prevention meds, topicals and procedures were available.

You're not supposed to "yank" your hair but "tug" or pull.

Here's how I recall the way it's supposed to be performed.

Sit down.
Place your elbows on your knees and lean your head forward.
Grasp as much hair as you can in each hand and pull outward for 5 seconds.
Release.
Repeat the procedure until you've covered your entire head w/ the hair pull procedure.

FWIW.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the laser 'therapy' works in a similar fashion, increasing scalp temp and blood flow.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
btw - Christopher Walken rules.

powersam

Reaction score
mulder said:
Perhaps the laser 'therapy' works in a similar fashion, increasing scalp temp and blood flow.

blood flow is not an issue with hair loss. and i'd bet money on a colder scalp being better for hair growth.

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
powersam said:
mulder said:

blood flow is not an issue with hair loss. and i'd bet money on a colder scalp being better for hair growth.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... ody_middle

A link exists between the lack of oxygen in the cells of the scalp and male pattern baldness, according to a study by plastic surgeon Steven L. Ringler, Butterworth Hospital, Grand Rapids, Mich. "Hair requires oxygen to grow. When circulation is inadequate, the cells will have insufficient oxygen, which may prevent the hair from growing. The apparent hereditary nature of baldness may actually be a genetic predisposition to insufficient circulation."

Approximately two-thirds of the male Caucasian population is affected by male pattern baldness as they get older. Numerous causes have been proposed, from scalp tension to age, genetic predisposition, the presence of androgens, a steroid hormone that increases male characteristics.

During the test, scalp temperatures and transcutaneous [PO.sub.2] (availability of oxygen in the cells) of all subjects were measured over the temples above the ears and on the frontal scalp at the top of the forehead. While scalp temperatures varied slightly, the difference in transcutaneous [PO.sub.2] between bald and control subjects was significant. The oxygen level in the bald scalps was almost 38% less that of the control group. Additionally, in those with male pattern baldness, the [PO.sub.2] was less in the frontal scalp than over the temples. In the control group, there was no significant difference between the frontal scalp and the temporal areas.

The area around the temples is not likely to be bald because the circulation to the temples and back of the head is fed by the external carotid artery, which provides a sufficient flow of blood. The frontal scalp receives circulation from the internal carotid artery, which supplies the brain, and small branches pass through the eye sockets to the scalp. Hair transplants may be able to grow in what previously was bald scalp because they are inserted at a level deeper than the normal hair follicle, where there is greater circulation.

In recent years, the reduction of baldness has been noted as a side effect in male patients receiving minoxidil for hypertension. While this phenomena has not been explained fully, the increased circulation that results from the treatment may change the availability of oxygen in the frontal scalp.

"This study is just part of ongoing research to identify specific treatments and possible prevention of male pattern baldness," Ringler explains. "Current studies show very promising results." In the meantime, he suggests that people with male pattern baldness consider hair transplants, which increasingly are successful.

powersam

Reaction score
fark. interesting find. means smoking definately bad for hair, and that massage could indeed help. have to admit that circulation not being involved thing is something people have told me so many times that i believe it without seeing proof.

mjd50

Reaction score
"It's like animals with the colored feather and tails. If I had a tail, I wouldn't need the hair. They matted it down for 'Catch Me if You Can,' and I felt naked.''

Exaclty Mr. Walken. That is how it feels to me. I feel naked without it. A tail wouldn't be half bad. We might have better luck finding good treatments for tail growing. Mice have them, how hard could it be.

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hair transplants may be able to grow in what previously was bald scalp because they are inserted at a level deeper than the normal hair follicle, where there is greater circulation.

Small incremental amouts of tissue necrosis over the years due to lack of oxygenation would cause miniaturization of hair follicles due to lack of circulation to the follicles thereby also causing thinning of the scalp dermis that is observed in almost all bald heads.

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I definitely plan to give the Christopher Walken method a try, once my hair grows out from buzzcutting for the last three years :wink:

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
I was watching the Yankees/Os game last name and pulled on it a little. (you know what mean). wtf, right?

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
powersam said:
fark. interesting find. means smoking definately bad for hair...

http://www.no-smoking.org/april03/04-22-03-1.html

The same destructive effects that smoking has on skin, causing premature aging among other visible changes, also may contribute to baldness.

Wound-healing experiments have shown that the smallest blood vessels that supply the scalp are constricted by both acute and long-term smoking, reports Dr. Ralph M. Trueb, a dermatologist at the University Hospital of Zurich, in an editorial in the April issue of Dermatology. Researchers also have detected nicotine and cotinine, a toxic byproduct in smoke, in smokers' hair. Studies have shown that when these substances are processed by cells in the hair follicle, mutations occur in the cell's DNA.

VictorD

Reaction score
That will only pull out your hair. Its all in your diet. Very long story short. Go vegan. No sugar or sugar substitutes. Or oils (greasy food).
No? Ask any older man with a full head of hair what they specifically eat and drink. That is if they admit their beauty secret to you.

VictorD

Reaction score
Google article entitled Research Confirms Your Fatty, High Cholesterol Diet Probably Contributes to Hair Loss
And all bad cholesterol comes from animal based foods (eg meat, fish, chicken, bacon, etc....)

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Google article entitled Research Confirms Your Fatty, High Cholesterol Diet Probably Contributes to Hair Loss
And all bad cholesterol comes from animal based foods (eg meat, fish, chicken, bacon, etc....)
It’s hard to not eat that protein when you’re working hard and burning so much energy.

keepit

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That will only pull out your hair. Its all in your diet. Very long story short. Go vegan. No sugar or sugar substitutes. Or oils (greasy food).
No? Ask any older man with a full head of hair what they specifically eat and drink. That is if they admit their beauty secret to you.
Maybe it will help being vegan, though there still is bald ,greying vegans out there and heart attack diet people with thick full hair