Has anyone suffered side effects from Propecia and then gone back and tried a different product, with success?

FullMetalGear

Reaction score
So I’m a 35 year old man. I’ve been losing my hair since I was probably 22 years old.

Around age 25 I tried taking finasteride 1 mg daily. I took it for about 6 months. I had just gotten out of a relationship and I met a new girl, but when we tried to have sex, I couldn’t get an erection.

Not only that, but I noticed I was unable to get an erection on my own - at all, no matter what.

I freaked out and decided to stop finasteride.

But my symptoms didn’t go away. I spent a whole year unable to get an erection. Not even the slightest one, no matter what I did. It was awful. It caused me to be severely depressed.

Around a year out, my ED started to improve and a year later I was back to 90% normal. I say 90% because I felt like the quality of my erections was slightly impacted and my libido was never exactly what it was (but I’m not sure if this is just because of aging).

Anyway, now I’m 35, about 2 years ago I got out of another relationship which ironically I feel is probably partially because of my partner becoming less attracted to me due to hair loss.

For a time I was still able to look good by cutting my hair short, and I actually was surprised by the amount of attention I got from women for a while.

But now, 2 years later, my hair loss is reaching a point where I know that I’ll probably have to shave my head. I have a sort of classic androgenic alopecia with almost total hair loss on my crown, with diffuse thinning everywhere else.

Women seem to notice this a lot more all of a sudden and I’ve been having a lot less success, and people are starting to make jokes at my expense. And it seriously sucks.

I’ve been using minoxidil topical religiously for the past 10 years. Recently I went to a credible hair transplant surgeon and was told that it’s probably best NOT to attempt a transplant because I would never be able to achieve reasonable density, especially if I was unwilling to take DHT inhibitors.

I’ve seen a few posts online of guys with similar hair loss to me achieving some decent results after starting DHT inhibitors. And honestly, even if I could have the density I had two years ago, although it’s still quite obvious I have hair loss, I’d be happy.

So I’m wondering if anyone on here has tried finasteride, experienced sides, and then switched to a different product that worked for them without sides. I had considered topical finasteride, but became scared after I read that a significant amount of the drug is absorbed systemically.

Would really appreciate it if anyone can share their experience or provide guidance.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I’m a 35 year old man. I’ve been losing my hair since I was probably 22 years old.

Around age 25 I tried taking finasteride 1 mg daily. I took it for about 6 months. I had just gotten out of a relationship and I met a new girl, but when we tried to have sex, I couldn’t get an erection.

Not only that, but I noticed I was unable to get an erection on my own - at all, no matter what.

I freaked out and decided to stop finasteride.

But my symptoms didn’t go away. I spent a whole year unable to get an erection. Not even the slightest one, no matter what I did. It was awful. It caused me to be severely depressed.

Around a year out, my ED started to improve and a year later I was back to 90% normal. I say 90% because I felt like the quality of my erections was slightly impacted and my libido was never exactly what it was (but I’m not sure if this is just because of aging).

Anyway, now I’m 35, about 2 years ago I got out of another relationship which ironically I feel is probably partially because of my partner becoming less attracted to me due to hair loss.

For a time I was still able to look good by cutting my hair short, and I actually was surprised by the amount of attention I got from women for a while.

But now, 2 years later, my hair loss is reaching a point where I know that I’ll probably have to shave my head. I have a sort of classic androgenic alopecia with almost total hair loss on my crown, with diffuse thinning everywhere else.

Women seem to notice this a lot more all of a sudden and I’ve been having a lot less success, and people are starting to make jokes at my expense. And it seriously sucks.

I’ve been using minoxidil topical religiously for the past 10 years. Recently I went to a credible hair transplant surgeon and was told that it’s probably best NOT to attempt a transplant because I would never be able to achieve reasonable density, especially if I was unwilling to take DHT inhibitors.

I’ve seen a few posts online of guys with similar hair loss to me achieving some decent results after starting DHT inhibitors. And honestly, even if I could have the density I had two years ago, although it’s still quite obvious I have hair loss, I’d be happy.

So I’m wondering if anyone on here has tried finasteride, experienced sides, and then switched to a different product that worked for them without sides. I had considered topical finasteride, but became scared after I read that a significant amount of the drug is absorbed systemically.

Would really appreciate it if anyone can share their experience or provide guidance.
Dont try topical finasteride, it does go systemic. Bro I tried it all. Oral dutasteride oral finasteride topical dutasteride topical finasteride. I got no sides from topical RU and oral minoxidil try that.

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
Try topical finasteride. Everyone is different. I was on oral for 14 years with sides, including erection problems. I switched over two years ago to Happy Head 0.025% finasteride and 6% min and never looked back. Zero sides, better efficacy. I'm not saying you'll have the same experience, but it could be worth a try. It was a godsend for me.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Try topical finasteride. Everyone is different. I was on oral for 14 years with sides, including erection problems. I switched over two years ago to Happy Head 0.025% finasteride and 6% min and never looked back. Zero sides, better efficacy. I'm not saying you'll have the same experience, but it could be worth a try. It was a godsend for me.
Gtfo out. Topical will enter your bloodstream enough to lower dht by at least 50% and more. You need to stop Promoting happy head you spam that sh*t all over including reddit we arent fools.

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
Gtfo out. Topical will enter your bloodstream enough to lower dht by at least 50% and more. You need to stop Promoting happy head you spam that sh*t all over including reddit we arent fools.
Calm the f*ck down and take your anxiety meds. Just because you've had sh*t luck doesn't mean good experiences are fake.