*Has anyone on finasteride seen IMPROVEMENT after 5 MONTHS or more?*

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
simple question, really needs an answer. not only me but a few other people are relying on this question. im at 6 months, have seen fluctuation up and down of hair quality and thickness etc. while on finasteride. have had some regrowth, some loss, etc. at different stages. now am at 6 months but hairloss has been constant for about 2 months. i want to know my chances. and hopefully get some encouragement. finasteride users only please. diffusers even better, but any info would be appreciated. please give details.

thanks!

regain

Reaction score
I think one's best chance of constant improvement is the usage of minoxidil with nizarol and perhaps spironolactone which acts locally to reduce the production of DHT. There is too much doubt as to the efficacy of finasteride, particularly, in the long run. Users oif finasteride seem to experience on-off shedding cycles which can be extremely traumatic for hair loss sufferers. One also has to consider the real possibilities of side effects that increasing number of users seem to be reporting from using finasteride. For any new hair loss sufferers looking to add treatments, I would recommend minoxidil as the principle form of treatment with other secondary treatments such as nizarol, spironolactone and green tea. That should be sufficient because there is no conclusive research that adding extra treatments will necessary produce better results (it may be just waste of money).

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
minoxidil doesnt stop balding. it only provides an offset of extra growth.

of course propecia causes sheds but so does minoxidil. so does spironolactone i think. i am saving things like minoxidil, spironolactone and dutasteride for later in the hairloss battle.

hopewas - more details if you may...

1) did you see any sheds before your regrowth?
2) how could you tell you got regrowth/thickening? (e.g. was it after a haircut, noticed small hairs sprouting, etc.)
3) what month did you get your regrowth/thickening?

if you could answer these for me id be very grateful. ta.

David77

Established Member
Reaction score
Hopewas is on minoxidil as well I believe.

I'm coming up to 3 months on finasteride, and I'm just getting more and more depressed. I thought I was shedding in months 1 & 2, but now what I'm seeing looks more like a shed. There's certainly been an increase in hairloss. My temples are just fucked, and the back has lost shitloads. It's so thin.

When I was happy to maintain what I had I was hopeful, but now I just find myself with this constant sinking feeling. I don't know what to do. I want to shave it off, but I'm scared how that will look, and I wonder if it's going to be hard to see what sort of progress may or may not have been made. This, combined with other things going wrong in my life at the moment has me pretty fucked up in the head.

You ever wish you were someone who just knew how to not care?

jason566

Established Member
Reaction score
david do u have any pics?

i think sometimes people who claim there shedding from propecia overexagerate personally..from the pics i see its nowhere as bad as people say..when im expecting someone to go from norwood 2 to noticeably balding..and most times the ones who claim huge sheds there hair doesnt look much different

G

Take some goddamn pictures. REgrowth is such a slow process that it is very difficult to realize it until you compare photos of your progress.

hopewas

Reaction score
David77 said:
Hopewas is on minoxidil as well I believe.

I'm coming up to 3 months on finasteride, and I'm just getting more and more depressed. I thought I was shedding in months 1 & 2, but now what I'm seeing looks more like a shed. There's certainly been an increase in hairloss. My temples are just fucked, and the back has lost shitloads. It's so thin.

When I was happy to maintain what I had I was hopeful, but now I just find myself with this constant sinking feeling. I don't know what to do. I want to shave it off, but I'm scared how that will look, and I wonder if it's going to be hard to see what sort of progress may or may not have been made. This, combined with other things going wrong in my life at the moment has me pretty fucked up in the head.

You ever wish you were someone who just knew how to not care?

i was in your same position. stick it out..trust me. get some couvre if the shedding gets too bad.. you'll be ok

extremekicks

Established Member
Reaction score
Im on month 7 and my temples took a huge shed / loss in Feb but its coming in and my hair is getting super thick all over. The vertex is coming in real good best ever. Im gonna get aggressive come July or Aug with some Xanadox 15% and spironolactone I think. I dunno well see.

Reaction score
I've been taking it for 9 months, keeps worsening. Definitely frontal loss, replaced by tiny vellus shitty hair like the ones I have on my face for 6 months that don't grow back. Shed for the last 3 weeks (>150 day), no sign of regrowth except some hairs here and there at the temples but nothing drastic. I want to drop the sh*t, but immediately I resign, "maybe change is around the corner"...

sh*t sh*t sh*t sh*t sh*t sh*t

peace
R

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
hrmmm. extremekicks youre on minoxidil too though.

david, chill out, youre only on month 3, most people dont see results by then so youre still early on in the game. i saw regrowth and thickening shortly after month 3. just havent seen it since then. im at month 6. is this too late to see results?

ive been steadily losing for about a month or 2 now. could this be a shed? could it grow back? or am i screwed?

advice please!!

douggie

Established Member
Reaction score
<------------------On only Nizoral and finasteride...Hair got ridiculously bad from months 7-9, just started month 11 and my hair is better now damp than it was dry at month 7. I know it is hard, but just stay the course. I lose very few hairs in the shower now and don't find them around (ie on my keyboard or pillow) like I did before. I saw a friend i hadn't seen since November this weekend and he told me he thought I would be noticeably bald, but said it looks like the finasteride has worked for me. We originally got our first finasteride order together, but I bought more when I ran out. Coincidentally his crown is big time thin compared to when I saw him last. He did not even make it through 6 months before running out of finasteride and since he was not seeing improvement he stopped. Even more reason to keep it going fellas.

Edit: I would like to add that i feel the Nizorasl is AS important as the finasteride. If I go more than 3 days without using it I start to get pimples on my scalp that are very tender.

Reaction score
douggie, your experience is very precious to us. Please descibe us what kind of hairloss pattern do you have (receding/diffuser.temples?frontal?crown?). Please tell us if your loss increased under finasteride, did you regrow what you had lost?

THANKS !
R

mcpaulyb

Established Member
Reaction score
duffuse guy here on Fincar

I'm a duffuser that's been on Fincar 1.25mg/day since November (6 months). I take only that and nizoral 2%.

I have noticed a slight decrease in Libido and the size of my loads.

As far as maintaining is concerned, I sometimes go thru sheds, but for the most part I feel my hair loss has lessened since I have been on this stuff.

I really don't want to start minoxidil, but I think that I'm going to get on it sooner rather than later. There's really no reason to wait.

What are you on, Propeica, Proscar or Fincar? Where do you get it?

douggie

Established Member
Reaction score
I am diffuse, very diffuse, pretty much everywhere on top, and I lost a ton of hair the first 8 or so months on finasteride, but do not know if it was caused by the finasteride or just general progression. I would imagine alot of it was natural progression as it had seemed my hair loss came on very quickly, at least in my eyes. I remember I started using hair wax and thought to myself that I sure was losing alot of hair using it. I stopped using it and was still shedding so I knew it was not the wax.

Funny thing is, I would say the finasteride has actually worked best, FOR ME, in the front. The back part of my part is still as it was before, but it was not too much of a problem to me anyway. I would imagine I will be seeing my best results shortly, provided no big shed, since I just stopped shedding like 2 months ago. I would say no regrowth, just thickening, but it has made a huge difference in the way my hair looks.

What is sad to me is that i have friends whom I have tried to tell that they are in the initial stages of hair loss, but they don't see it. It is so true that the only people who recognize male pattern baldness is the ones who have experienced it.