Has Anyone Here Tried Topical Finasteride Vs Oral Finasteride?

Neely47

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I had a consultation visit with Dr. Hasson of Hasson&Wong in downtown Vancouver last week. I have attached my pic of my hair loss to this thread. I was evaluated by Dr. Hasson and I was graded on Norwood scale between 6&7. I'm 29 year old male and started noticing my hair loss about 2-3 years ago.

Unfortunately, Dr. Hasson states that I have limited donor supply, and that it wouldn't be worthwhile to go through the hair transplant at this point. He did suggest taking oral Finasteride 5mg (Proscar) in 1/4 daily doses and then see him again in a year to re-evalaute for transplant. He says depending on results, transplant may not be needed if I have good results with finasteride. He did state that finasteride can be taken also topically but it is more expensive in topical version. He did warn of sexual side effects but that it's rare (about 5%). He did state these side effects may happen even in topical version too since it can go systemic.

I am scared of these side effects. After the appointment, I researched on the internet, and I've heard these side effects can even continue for months even after stopping the drug! I've noticed that I have decreased libido for the past several months which is likely due to my lifestyle (slightly overweight and not exercising). I've recently started exercising and lifting weights about a month ago and have noticed some improvements in libido. My concern is if I start taking the oral finasteride, these sexual side effects may happen again.

I am deciding whether I should pay more to take the topical finasteride even though more expensive. Are side effects less likely to happen with the topical version? Anyone here have experience with oral vs topical finasteride and can share their experience with the drug? Thanks.

Attachments

• hairloss.jpg
    hairloss.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 1,540
Last edited:

Marcus1980

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Neely
I just started a minoxidil/finasteride 5%/01% foam in addition to 5 mg finasteride oral. Started oral dose Dec 2017 and the foam April 1st. I feel the finasteride oral did affect my libido so I decrease dose from 5 to 1mg April 1st. I also felt the finasteride fog while on the 5mg dose. Anyways, I am a pharmacist and I prepared the foam in our pharmacy for myself and our pharmacy clients and I like its feel after application. Of course I just started this "hair project" so I can't tell you about its efficacy. If you would like to try some, let me know.

Hi there, I’ve been using minoxidil 5% but just got my doctor to prescribe finasteride but am afraid to take the oral due to the side effects so I’m getting topical made. Is this foam you’ve created just one foam with both minoxidil and finasteride in it? Or do you have 2 separate foams. It sounds like what the pharmacy is making me is a liquid blend that I apply to the hair once a day. Thanks