Has anyone here tried Todd Davis' approach?

loke

Reaction score
It's basically a garlic juice on scalp application with additional techniques to support blood circulation on the scalp area. I was wondering if those who have applied Todd's regimen found success in regrowing some of the lost hairs if not all...

I actually have started this regimen not so long ago to experiment with myself, also out of desperation (after I realized my hair was prematurely thinning), while maintaining all cautiousness. I did find out a few weeks later that I shed less hair and new, tiny hairs sprouting on areas where I applied the garlic juice.

However, I am having concerns with the garlic regimen. Occasionally, I would experience a painful, burning sensation after application. This is why I only do this every night before sleeping. So, is it safe to continue?
My second concern is the dandruff-like flakes appearing on my scalp. I believe these flakes comes from the formation of dried garlic juice. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Hope to get some inputs on this.

loke

Reaction score
ALi___ said:
my situation is pretty much the same.
i apply onion juice (its been a month), and see lots of vellus hair on areas where i had lost them.

burning sensation is no worry. if you experience itching, that should be investigated.
as for the flakes, i'd say get it checked from a dermatologist, it sounds like seborrheic dermatitis, which i'm combating with homeopathy, but i believe garlic juice shall cure it eventually.

Thanks Ali for your response to this post.
Glad I'm not the only one who uses this unconventional remedy.

It does look like a mild seborrheic dermatitis. Though I'm confounded at the fact this only started after I applied garlic, which was supposed to be antifungal.
From my observation, however, the flakes seems to come from the scab forming on the reddened (perhaps burnt) area on my scalp. It's just now I accidentally peeled off the scab from one of those areas where I last felt the burning sensation, and it pretty much resembles the flakes popping out off my scalp.

As the burnt skin heals, it forms a scab around it. And when it hardens, activities on the scalp may cause it to crack leading to flakes. What do you think? Is it possible this is what I'm experiencing? Nevertheless, I'm gonna have it checked as you suggested.

Mr. Fisherman

Reaction score
that theory IS possible so don't worry much about the flakes.

garlic has antibiotic and antifungal properties, but it is also very potent. it can burn the skin leaving you with red patches.
maybe you can opt for a milder one such as onion juice? it is not as effective as garlic in regrowing hair but i think it can save you from getting burns.

imlosinit

Established Member
Reaction score
Do any of you guys who are observing new hairs have pictures to document this growth? I think if you did, and it's true, then you'd be doing the community a good service and also getting alot more feedback.

Heck, I'd rub vinegar on my nutsack if someone said it worked and could document their progress with pictures.

The Natural

Established Member
Reaction score
Photos can/do/will not tell the whole picture though. Vellus hairs, in many cases, cannot be detected by the naked eye, and do not show up in a photo.

For example, take those infomercials for hair powders: At first glance, it looks like the guy shown is a slick bald NW4 or 5, then someone sprinkles that hair thickner powder stuff on his head, and wow :woot: ! He now has a head full of hair, right.

Wrong. His existing (albeit very thin and light colored) hair has merely been covered with black powder, giving the appearance of thicker hair. This guy had hair before. It just could not be seen.

A topical regimen (of garlic or whatever) could very well be working for said individual, but the regrowth may be too difficult to detect, because it is very thin or too light in color.

loke

Reaction score
I merely relied on my sense of touch, because as stated above, taking pictures won't help detect them any better. I also have lighter hair color which will only show little or no noticeable change in camera.

In lieu of this, hair volume can be used as a benchmark for progress I guess. Unfortunately, it is more pronounced in darker hairs. So it would be great to have someone here w/ dark hair (preferably dark brown and black) to share the experience and before & after photo, if by any chance this individual has done this kind of regimen.
This could serve as a motivation for those who just started recently to continue despite the obstacles (garlic smell complaints from room mates for instance).

loke

Reaction score
noneother said:
are you all following his instructions exactly as per the book?

Well...not really. His book include "techniques" to be done morning, afternoon, and evening. I find the techniques shown in the book weird that other people may think so too. Sometimes I skip morning and evening, afternoon most of the time. Afternoon, I'm always surrounded by people and there aren't any private rooms for me to do this in peace. Morning and evening I'm sometimes occupied as well or just lazy.

I did commit to the garlic regimen as per his instructions. I want to believe this spice contributes to hair growth greatly despite all the punishment you acquire from it, unlike other techniques shown which effect in hair growth is minimal and thus serve only as a supplement.

loke

Reaction score
ALi___ said:
it looks like you leave it overnight, its totally unnecessary, an hour or two is more than enough. this will also reduce (if not eliminate) the smell. are you determined to use this remedy for as long as 1 year? as anyone on the internet who discovered some kind of cure said it took them at least 9 months to see results.

I got it checked and it turned out to be scabs. Apparently, topical application of garlic can cause "contact dermatitis" in some individuals, myself included. I'm already opting to switch to onion, as you and another user suggested, which is less likely to cause a reaction but be wary nevertheless. Anyone can google "contact dermatitis" + "garlic" to learn more about this.

Am I determined to use this remedy for a year? HECK NO! I still want to have a girlfriend...hehe.
Perhaps if there are concrete evidence this approach really works, but I'm still at my 3rd week so I would not confirm anything yet even with the vellus hair growing.

Mr. Fisherman

Reaction score
loke said:
I got it checked and it turned out to be scabs. Apparently, topical application of garlic can cause "contact dermatitis" in some individuals, myself included. I'm already opting to switch to onion, as you and another user suggested, which is less likely to cause a reaction but be wary nevertheless. Anyone can google "contact dermatitis" + "garlic" to learn more about this.

did your dermatologist also suggested the onion as an alternative?

loke

Reaction score
Mr. Fisherman said:
did your dermatologist also suggested the onion as an alternative?

No. That was my choice. He suggested using Propecia. He also told me once I take it, I can't stop. Otherwise, it will start the shedding all over again. Why waste money on something that is not even an absolute panacea right?
I would become a cash cow for the big pharmas if I did.

loke

Reaction score
xztop12 said:
I remember trying olive oil that he recommends and it made me shed like crazy

Sorry that happened to you, but thanks for sharing as an added info.

I didn't follow the instructions in the book completely. I only used olive oil once but didn't like the smell, so I switched to coconut oil for a couple of days before starting the garlic.
The shedding didn't lessen until I applied garlic. But the coconut oil didn't increase the shedding either.

guy12345

Reaction score
I'm on onion juice again and yes it's working,sth is growig,it's better than folligen,
sulphur should be a basic element of regimen, internally and externally

alebaba

Established Member
Reaction score
Im now putting garlic on my scalp before i go to bed along with kastor and emu oil. :)

skypup

Reaction score
Hey Loke,
curious about this also as I just started applying onion juice, about a week ago.
At my age 49, looking at anything possible to keep what I have. :whistle: minoxidil
isn't cutting it.

I may go with something stronger - perhaps garlic is the ticket. I've been using freshly squeezed onions - how are you applying - with pre-made or do you squeeze then apply?

loke

Reaction score
alebaba said:
Im now putting garlic on my scalp before i go to bed along with kastor and emu oil. :)

What's up with castor and emu oil? I'm curious how they help with hair growth?

loke

Reaction score
skypup said:
Hey Loke,
curious about this also as I just started applying onion juice, about a week ago.
At my age 49, looking at anything possible to keep what I have. :whistle: minoxidil
isn't cutting it.

I may go with something stronger - perhaps garlic is the ticket. I've been using freshly squeezed onions - how are you applying - with pre-made or do you squeeze then apply?

I make them myself, squeezing 2 garlic bulb (so I won't have to squeeze every time) then applying with 1 tsp. of garlic juice. But I must tell you that while garlic is stronger, it isn't an instant cure. It will take time.

skypup

Reaction score
loke said:
skypup said:
Hey Loke,
isn't cutting it.

I make them myself, squeezing 2 garlic bulb (so I won't have to squeeze every time) then applying with 1 tsp. of garlic juice. But I must tell you that while garlic is stronger, it isn't an instant cure. It will take time.

Certainly does have a bit more affect with irritation. Did Davis recommend multiple applications each day? Makes you wonder that there's something behind wound/heal scalp theory.