Has anyone grown his hair back after quitting minoxidil?

kobayasi

Reaction score
I was off of rogaine for two months,now shedding like bear.Lost like 40% of hair on top of my head.Got back on rogaine, with propecia and nizoral 1% also.Shedding, it seems to me like it slowing down.My question is, am I gonna grow back any of my lost hair, or I'm simply screwed? Has anyone had similar situation? Thanks! :cry:

hokiehair

Reaction score
Yes. I had been on Rogaine since 1990 (2%, then 5% in 1998), a long time... from then until 2003, the sh*t was working, but I didn't know how much it was, or how well it was working.... I do now.

In June of 2003, I decided to drop it....no real reason...just been so long on it with no cessation.

Flash forward to Oct of 2003, I was then dealing with about a 40-50% decrease in hair, a massive difference, so much so I couldn't wear the same style I had from the prior 13 years. It was horrible.

I immediately got back on Rogaine and within 3 weeks it had all come back (early-mid Nov)... I'm not lying, it was the damdest thing, as I thought it would take at least 3 months (the normal growth phase).

Been on it since. To answer your question, you'll grow back the lost hair, as long as the cessation of Rogaine isn't for long, long periods of time (years).

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Good post. Shows how treatments can be working even if you think they aren't doing much.

MiddleAgedManiac

Established Member
Reaction score
When you got off of Rogaine, did you see an improvement in the texture and condition of the existing hair? That's what happened to me....I am not growing any new hair being off of it, but the hair I have sure looks great now! Maybe I was a non-responder and by getting off of it, my hair and scalp was healthy again?

kobayasi

Reaction score
I was on rogaine 5% from 08-2004 to 01-2005 only once a day. Had a great results, but very bad reaction on minoxidil( itching,dry scalp,flaking..).Decide to quit and try propecia.Didn't expect massive shedding.During this time, off of minoxidil my hair start to get thiner all over.As soon as I went back on rogaine (2 months later), my existing hair start getting a lot thicker again. Still can't see any grow back of my lost hair during a shedding, but it might take another month or two. Otherwise I'm screwed. Thanks!

Hairport

Reaction score
hokiehair (or anyone else who has been on minoxidil a long time):

How has the skin on your face been holding up (that sounds weird, I know). I have been using Xandrox for only about three months, and my face is not liking it. I am breaking out like a 16 year old and my nose seems more porous. Does this subside? I think I am making the transfer from pillow to face .. I am not sure. Have you noticed any negative toll the minoxidil has taken on your facial skin?