Has anybody tried cutting out caffeine?

jcinzano

Reaction score
I know the research is mixed on what effect caffeine has on hair.

Has anybody tried eliminating it completely and did it make a difference?

Conversely, are there any non caffeine drinkers out there who've tried adding it?

Siberian

Established Member
Reaction score
jcinzano said:
I know the research is mixed on what effect caffeine has on hair.

Has anybody tried eliminating it completely and did it make a difference?

I quit, cold-turkey, two months ago. I didn't know it might affect hair loss though... what does it do?

I'm on "The Big Three," so there's no way to know if the caffeine cut is helping.

jcinzano

Reaction score
i'm on the big 3 too, but i've been on it for years. there's a german study that says it might help hair growth. but too much of it can hinder hair growth. i've been going on and off caffiene recently and i've been big time shedding. not sure which move has been the right one, or if it's just a coincidence.

have you noticed any positive gains recently? two months is a short period of time, but not unheard of for having an effect

Siberian

Established Member
Reaction score
jcinzano said:
have you noticed any positive gains recently? two months is a short period of time, but not unheard of for having an effect

Well, I've been on Propecia for 5 months now (after stopping it for 9 months), so it's time to start seeing results from that... and I am. I'm definately not losing any more, and seem to be gaining some back now.

But again, no way to know what the lack of caffeiene is doing for me. Doesn't caffeine restrict blood vessels? That can't be a good thing for our follicles...

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Been on and off caffeine for the last year.

It has nothing to do with hairloss.

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have had about 2 pop's in the last year and a half. In the overall scheme of things pop is horrible for you or more specifically High Fructose Corn Syrup. I would not count on stopping pop and growing your hair back. For your diet to play a role in the stabalization of hair loss you need probably need to overhaul every meal you have.

Nesrednug

Reaction score
Interesting topic..

Out of health reasons I had to drastically change my diet to avoid all processed foods, and I stopped drinking coffee and I do not drink anything other than water or tea for the most part.

I follow a diet based on the paleolothic diet, you guys can google it if you're interested, but in a nutshell it's eating what our ancestors would have eaten before agriculture. So basically I eat anythign that would not require processing to be eaten. Meat, Vegetables, fruits, and I drink mainly water and herbal or green tea.

A guy called Ray Audette wrote a book called "Neanderthin", in which he adopted this diet to cure some of the diseases he was suffering from, including rheumatoid arthritis and diabetes. He was able to reverse those diseases simply by changing his diet, and I've read articles where he claimed that his hair stopped falling out.

I'm pretty sure I can agree with that, it seems like my hair stopped thinning when I adopted this diet, although I changed my diet for more important reasons. I certianly can vouch for feeling better, and I dropped 40 pounds.

The amount of food additives put into our foods, and artificial foods on the market today is absolutely staggering. Many of these additives are toxic or cause allergic reactions in people, and affect the body's chemistry and hormonal balances. It's not that far fetched to think that some of these might be affecting our hair growth, if they affect other parts of the body.

[/quote]

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I do not eat meat but eating the way we used to should help things out. I am currently eating 50% raw foods and am hoping to move to 75% by this summer. When you cook food you kill all of the enzymes and your body has to create them (for digestion), which it can. But in doing so it is unable to produce all of the other necessary enzymes that your body needs. What does going to a raw foods or pre-twinkie era really do, well it pretty much gets rid of inflammation within your body (Inflammation Nation is a great book). That is why these diets help people with diabetes and heart disease since those diseases are caused by microscopic inflammation.

jcinzano

Reaction score
Nesrednug said:
Interesting topic..

Out of health reasons I had to drastically change my diet to avoid all processed foods, and I stopped drinking coffee and I do not drink anything other than water or tea for the most part.

I follow a diet based on the paleolothic diet, you guys can google it if you're interested, but in a nutshell it's eating what our ancestors would have eaten before agriculture. So basically I eat anythign that would not require processing to be eaten. Meat, Vegetables, fruits, and I drink mainly water and herbal or green tea.

A guy called Ray Audette wrote a book called "Neanderthin", in which he adopted this diet to cure some of the diseases he was suffering from, including rheumatoid arthritis and diabetes. He was able to reverse those diseases simply by changing his diet, and I've read articles where he claimed that his hair stopped falling out.

I'm pretty sure I can agree with that, it seems like my hair stopped thinning when I adopted this diet, although I changed my diet for more important reasons. I certianly can vouch for feeling better, and I dropped 40 pounds.

The amount of food additives put into our foods, and artificial foods on the market today is absolutely staggering. Many of these additives are toxic or cause allergic reactions in people, and affect the body's chemistry and hormonal balances. It's not that far fetched to think that some of these might be affecting our hair growth, if they affect other parts of the body.
[/quote]

though my diet is not that restrictive, i have been a vegatarian for 6 years, and i would not be surprised if that's helped in, for the most part, not losing more than i have.

thing is, though, you said you drink green tea? so you still drink caffeine?

Nesrednug

Reaction score
though my diet is not that restrictive, i have been a vegatarian for 6 years, and i would not be surprised if that's helped in, for the most part, not losing more than i have.

thing is, though, you said you drink green tea? so you still drink caffeine?

Well, I usually drink decaffeinated green tea. I also drink Rooibos tea which is also supposedly high in antioxidants, and no caffeine. Sometimes I really wish I could have that cup of coffee or black tea (I get up for work at 4:30am) but I know I'll pay for it later.

Sublime, I have also read that not only does cooking destroy enzymes, but it also changes the chemical composition of the food enough so that your body has an immune system response to it, raising your white blood cell count, which does not happen when you eat raw foods. This is probably directly linked to the inflammation you are talking about. This does cause undue stress to your immune system, as does the other crap people eat on a daily basis. I think it's pretty much accepted that stress can be a factor in hair loss, so it stands to reason that poor diet, and the stress it places on your body's immune system, might play a signifigant role in hair loss.

I personally have noticed that my seasonal allergies are much milder since I started eating this way. I'll be outside all day in the spring and be just fine, then eat one of the "forbidden" foods, and within an hour I'm in the middle of a severe allergic reaction that pretty much disables me for the rest of the day since my eyes are bloodshot and practically swollen shut and I can't stop sneezing and coughing. That's inflammation to the extreme.

I will say that my hair hasn't gotten any thinner and it has thickened up, but it's hard to tell if the diet has any bearing on that. I do think that it will help though.

sublime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What percentage of your diet is Raw?

I think in the short term most gains are due to introduced internals or topicals, but I feel in the long run a diet with a lot of Raw foods will help continue the gains being achieved by either a topical or an internal. It could maybe extend results out for many additional years. Look at the Inuits in Canada, they consume a lot of Raw food (plant and meat) and do not suffer from hair loss. They not only comsume a very healthy veggie diet but their meat intake is mostly fish. So they not only eat raw but also get a high percentage of EFA's.

Here was a study done on cats:

"Between 1932 and 1942 a Dr. F.M. Pottenger, Jr. carried out research involving 900 cats over four generations. The cats were divided into two main groups, one group being fed on raw meat, and the second group being fed cooked meat.
Dr. Francis M. Pottenger's nutritional studies have shown that the group fed raw meat were fit and healthy throughout the ten year trial period. These cats were resistant to fleas and other parasites and also to infections. The group fed a regular diet of cooked or canned meat had a lot of problems in health, breeding, behaviour and premature mortality. Within a few generations, the cats receiving cooked food exhibited:

facial deformities: narrowed faces, crowded jaws, frail bones and weakened ligaments
an excess of parasites
all manners of disease
female cats became more aggressive while males became docile
difficulty with pregnancy and after three generations, pregnancy failed
kittens born of these pregnancies often did not survive to adulthood
kittens showed skeletal deformities and organ malfunctions "

I would be interested to see if you could reverse the damage from previous generations by swithcing to a raw foods diet. I have said it so many times that genetics is caused mostly by our parents. Obvious continual poor dietary habits over generations only increase our succeptability to current illnesses and chronic issues that plague 1st world countries. Anyway our bodies heal and fight cancer everyday so I am interested if hair can be brought back to life or helped by changing to such a diet. Either way I am going to move to 75% by this summer. Who the hell knows though, just another expirement towards better health.