Has Anybody Ever Dyed a Hair System?

kashmoney

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anybody ever dyed a hair system? My system has browned a lot and I want to try and dye it back to its original black. I’ve been using back2natural but they don’t have a black color and I don’t think the darkest color is getting my system to black.

How tough is it to do and any good videos you guys could recommend?

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
isn't back2natural a hair dye ?

Curtis from MHE explains it a bit here. Maybe that will help you.

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anybody ever dyed a hair system? My system has browned a lot and I want to try and dye it back to its original black. I’ve been using back2natural but they don’t have a black color and I don’t think the darkest color is getting my system to black.

How tough is it to do and any good videos you guys could recommend?
oh sure. lots of times. The first thing to know is to completely ignore the waiting time in the instructions. It only takes minutes for a piece hair to absorb this dye. You have to watch it. Since yours is black I suggest using a trick I read about to protect the knots. Use the strongest hair gel you can find and brush it on the underside of the lace. This will protect the knots from being dyed black.

kashmoney

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
isn't back2natural a hair dye ?

Curtis from MHE explains it a bit here. Maybe that will help you.

I’ve already been using back2natural but their darkest color is the dark ash brown which isn’t dark enough for me

kashmoney

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
oh sure. lots of times. The first thing to know is to completely ignore the waiting time in the instructions. It only takes minutes for a piece hair to absorb this dye. You have to watch it. Since yours is black I suggest using a trick I read about to protect the knots. Use the strongest hair gel you can find and brush it on the underside of the lace. This will protect the knots from being dyed black.
Gotcha. I’ve never dyed hair before ever so don’t really know what to expect. Any videos you can recommend? Also any dye products you recommend that work well? In terms of the hair gel, so you brush the gel on the base of the system where the lace is prior to applying the dye?

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've dyed my system with just the usual off-the-shelf products. You have to be VERY careful not the get dye on the UTS (or lace even I guess). But otherwise it is not difficult at all. Use a comb or a paint-brush to put the dye on. Put the dye on from around 1.5cm above where the hair comes out of the base: this way you avoid getting dye on the base and it also leaves room in case the dye 'travels' down the shaft a bit.

Also, only leave the dye on for half the time people do for bio-hair. For me just a few minutes, 10 minutes maybe, was enough.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I tried.... well technically I succeeded, but dyed it too dark :(

Truthfully my girlfriend did it for me. It was no different than dying her hair. She put it on a mannequin head and tried to keep it only on the hair and not the base. She did a great job. The actual dye job came out great and the hair dye we bought had a conditioner to use immediately after dying and the hair came out extremely soft.

We went by the directions word for word and honestly we should have halved the time like deg said to do. It ended up way too dark.

Smartone84

Established Member
Reaction score
I've dyed my system with just the usual off-the-shelf products. You have to be VERY careful not the get dye on the UTS (or lace even I guess). But otherwise it is not difficult at all. Use a comb or a paint-brush to put the dye on. Put the dye on from around 1.5cm above where the hair comes out of the base: this way you avoid getting dye on the base and it also leaves room in case the dye 'travels' down the shaft a bit.

Also, only leave the dye on for half the time people do for bio-hair. For me just a few minutes, 10 minutes maybe, was enough.
By "off the shelf" products I'm assuming you mean dye's meant specifically for wigs?

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I used my wife's L'Oreal :D

It was actually my supplier/stylist that recommended it to me, and it worked great.