Has any one been on real avodart for 2 years

phish

Established Member
Reaction score
im curious if any board member has been on real avodart and not generic for 2 years or more. If so how is it going. I personally think dutasteride is such a strong drug that the first year many peoples hair change like crazy losing a lot with sheds, cuz hormones are going crazy, but think it settles down after a year or so. if you read alot of peoples stories they say shedding shedding front is horrible but its all within a year, i think when you change your hormones to whipe out 99 percent of type 2 dht all of sudden your body reacts with sheds and side effects, but eventually it stables but people give up on the drug to early. so im curious can anyone on true avodart from a doctor chime in if you been on for 2 years or more, I don't really want people that been on generics because even though i use them myself I don't trust a lot of the sites some people buy theirs from.

Nick4441

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I hope your right Phish, certainly most of us at 4-8 months are just seeing loss especially at the hairline..mines goosed. I'm keeping going though despite the decimation...

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
phish, I'm a long-term user of GSK Avodart. I've been taking .5mg per day since August '04, and although I order it over the internet ( http://www.merlonipharma.ch - a Swiss pharmacy), I'm confident that it's the real deal.

Someone recently asked me to provide a timeline of my experience with dutasteride, so I figured I'd knock one up and stick it here for all to see - at least until this thread fades into HairLossTalk.com obscurity. So here, to the best of my memory and with months that overlap and should be viewed as a rough guide only, is what happened when:

Month:
1 - 6 Boring, ie. no change.

6 - 8 Shedding! Front, crown, the bit in between, they all lost hair but the front's pre-existing thinness meant it got hit hardest, aesthetically speaking.

8 - 12 For the most part no change, although early signs of re-growth on the crown and mid-scalp as I neared the full year.

12 - 16 Aforementioned re-growth accelerates, by end of this period the crown and mid-scalp are not too far off their pre-shed density; some slight frontal improvement as the shed hairs re-appear (though only as very fine shafts), and as those that weren't shed see a wee bit of thickening going on.

16 - 20 Crown and mid-scalp thicken further, to the point that hair loss is no longer evident, before gains peter out around month 20; front continues to make modest gains, though with most of these in the 2 or so inches immediately behind the hairline - which I always count as being the front-most half inch of hair.

20 - 24 No more gains to be made for crown or mid-scalp, but I'm v. happy with how they look; a continuation of the gradual progress up front (again, mainly behind the hairline) means the frontal area as a whole is broadly comparable to its pre-shed appearance by month 22/23 - albeit with a slightly thinned front half-inch and denser coverage over the two inches directly behind this.

24+ Stability. Well, okay, there were a few minor dips in density along the way, but each time the hair recovered within a month or so, and for the last half year (since month 33/34) it really hasn't changed at all.

Slarti

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Afraid not. I didn't have a digital camera until the summer of '06, and all the interesting stuff (ie. shedding and re-growth) had happened by then.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Used finasteride for over 10 months, then switched to dutasteride for over 14 months...

Because of money, I switched back to finasteride for a few more months--

Now that I am insured and can afford it, I have been on dutasteride for another 3 months.

Here is my website, which is more detailed than myself:

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/aplunk1/

phish

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks Slartibartfast you proved my point. a lot would of quit at your 6-8th shed but i applaud you for stickin through it. many people in the first year say the lost a ton of ground in the front, while this can be bad in the short term if you look at the longer term over year plus those hairs more then likely will be replaced and you can mantain a lot longer then propecia i think. i just want to give hope for those thinkin of throwing in the towel earlier then a year. most people say give the treatment a year but i think now that i look at some of peoples results everyone is different and may take some 2 years before they get results.

oni

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that Slarti.............................................

T

Timi

why have anyone shedding other No shedding?

in ouer Board takes many Men 0,5mg all 5Days
Good succes and No shedding
is it when beginning 0,5mg Dayli??
better slowly a higher Dose? 0,5 all 5Days for few Month, than 0,5 all 3Days and so on?

@all
sex drive with Avo?
is it down?

Timi

oni

Reaction score
I have only been on the "fake" stuff for 3 years and 8 months...............................

antonio666

Reaction score
avodart has been a massive let down for meafter i have given it 12 months i will ditch it and try propecia,i have just started oral spironolactone 150mg a day 2 months ago because of how poor avodart is

stancables

Reaction score
I have been on real propecia a year now, and real avodart 0.5 mg since 3 months back, and now increased to 1mg since this month....

already noticing thinning in the very front, but I'm sticking with it, going to hold my breath through this supposed shedding period.

I am not waiting a year to see the shedding and thinning reverse on avodart, thus I increased to the 1mg a day. ....in about another month or so, I may increase to 1.5mg of real avodart a day....just to get this shedding and b.s. over with and see the results....

so even though i've only been on avodart for 4 months now, the fact my dosage per day is pretty high, should count as almost two years !

CCS

Reaction score
stancables said:
I have been on real propecia a year now, and real avodart 0.5 mg since 3 months back, and now increased to 1mg since this month....

already noticing thinning in the very front, but I'm sticking with it, going to hold my breath through this supposed shedding period.

I am not waiting a year to see the shedding and thinning reverse on avodart, thus I increased to the 1mg a day. ....in about another month or so, I may increase to 1.5mg of real avodart a day....just to get this shedding and b.s. over with and see the results....

so even though i've only been on avodart for 4 months now, the fact my dosage per day is pretty high, should count as almost two years !

assuming that temporary shedding is caused by large, sudden, estrogen fluxuations, changing your dose around would not help you. Better to pick one dose and stick to it. If you like 1mg, fine. But enough of this up and down stuff. Granted on dutasteride the down part is not that bad. once you build up I guess your levels won't change too fast.

abb83

Reaction score
i was on dutasteride for 8 months, no results, back to finasteride for about 6, and now have been for about 5 months on dutasteride again and no results... maybe im thining heavier than before but going to stick to it for a year or so, if not, i hope HM does come available and will not be that expensive...

gt2005

Reaction score
Was on dr reddys dutas for 18mths now been on the genuine stuff for past 18mths no change maintained well no sheds etc i have faith in avodart :)