Hard versus Soft Water - Help!

reremedies

Reaction score
I recently moved, and my hair is falling out like crazy. I believe it's related to the water in my new place.

I've been taking Propecia, Minoxidil, and shampooing with Nizoral and Revivogen for about 6 years now, and the regimen has worked consistently well.

When I moved last month, I noticed the water felt different. Like it wasn't cleaning my scalp well. My scalp got really itchy and I started shedding like mad. A month later, it's still going on and my scalp just feels itchier than normal. Way itchier.

So, I have a few theories. Either it's stress related, though I doubt that. Or maybe it's a hard water/soft water issue, though I don't know much about any of that. Or maybe my old pipes were copper, and I was getting copper supplements unknowingly in my water?

Should I get a water filter or softener of some sort? Maybe start taking copper supplements?

Any advice would be much appreciated as this is a bad shedding situation like I've never known.

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score
Definitely go for a water filter or softener, if this is possible. I am not sure though if this can interact with hair loss, but if it can normally the effects are reversible. But you will be sure that you will feel clean after showering/bathing, and this is important anyway.

s.a.f

Reaction score
reremedies said:
I recently moved, and my hair is falling out like crazy. I believe it's related to the water in my new place.

Its not.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I didn't experience any hairloss until moving to a new city, then afterwards I started thinning out and my scalp was terribly itchy.

This went on for about a year and a half with me thinking I just had dermatitus and I would have to live with it. Anyway, I bought a shower filter and that combined with nizoral once a week has eliminated the itch completely. I am not sure if it has halted the hairloss but it sure doesn't hurt.

Also, when you shower I would highly recommend turning the water to cool or cold when washing your hair. Hot water irritates the hell out of my scalp.