half year later

hhd

Reaction score
Here is an update with a couple of questions

I quit taking propecia and started using the foam, without missing even once. Several people said this was a bad idea since the male pattern baldness would return.

Half year later, my hair still looks very, very, good while dry. If it remains in this state I will be more than happy to continue with the foam and totally forget the propecia.

However, I do have several concerns. when my hair is wet (either from the shower or from rubbing in the foam) I look REALLY bad. I mean its almost like I have no hair at all. Additionally, I notice 20-25 hairs on my hand(s) when I shampoo or rub in the foam.

Does anyone else have this kind of hair "death" when showering or applying the foam ? is this a concern or normal cycle ?

Thanks and I will keep you all posted.

HHD

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If I may ask, why did you stop taking the propecia?

hhd

Reaction score
sure thing,

Propecia worked beyond my wildest dreams. I went from seeing my scalp in the mirror to full head of hair in under a year. Unforunately there were side effects that really stunk. I learned to live with it but when rogaine foam came out I thought it might maintain the hair I have. So, despite advise to the contrary I am giving it a try.

Balth06

Reaction score
Thats great! I'm glad rogaine is workin for you. buuuuuuuuuut you know it won't stop the DHT from destroying that hair right? I don't know what your sides from propecia were like, but maybe you should reconsider taking it at a smaller dose? Another thing is if you were on propecia for awhile and got good results, all of that hair will certainly fall out slowly after stopping it. Propecia and Rogaine work differently at controlling hairloss and complement each other well but one won't necessarily offset the other. Like propecia won't stop rogaine dependent hair from falling out if you stop it and rogaine doesn't stop DHT from attacking hair blah blah blah. Maybe you've heard all of this before though :D

JWM

Reaction score
Give Fluridil or Topical spironolactone a shot. I would also add 2% Nizoral.

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hhd said:
Additionally, I notice 20-25 hairs on my hand(s) when I shampoo or rub in the foam.

Not good. Now that I am on a finasteride/dutas combo, I literally find ZERO hairs falling out when I shower, and I even run my hands through my hair extra times to see if I can find any.

I was balding for so many years that I actually started to think hair falling out in the shower was a normal thing... well it isn't.

G

hair today gone tomorrow said:
losing some hair in the shower is actually normal.

I echo WoW and say that I don't really notice losing any hairs in the shower. About once a week I'll put a paper towel over the drain to see how many I catch, usually 1 or 2 at the most, and they look like body hairs.

And I could go wet my hair now and run my hands through it and not get more than 3 or 4. When my hair's dry, I really have to run my hands through it vigorously to get even one hair to pop out.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
so you lose 3 or 4 if you wet your hair and run your hands through it ...BUT if you shower and shampoo you only notice 1 or 2 in the drain..that makes NO sense...a typical shower for me would be like 5 hairs or so..sometimes a lil less sometimes a lil more.....before i started propecia it was probably more like 20 hairs per shower...so it has def gone down.

btw, jayman when are you gonna post pic with your hair wet and spiked, i wanna see.

pinkfloyd7

Established Member
Reaction score
Balth06 said:

Thats great! I'm glad rogaine is workin for you. buuuuuuuuuut you know it won't stop the DHT from destroying that hair right?

It doesn't stop DHT from destroying your hair but doesn't it keep the follicle open and large so hair will keep growing? Meaning DHT woun't be able to affect a follicle that is constantly being given rogaine to stay open.

Am I right?

pologuy514

Established Member
Reaction score
hhd,
You said you now have a full head of hair off of propecia. How much do you think? Like what Norwood are you now?

ShedMaster

Reaction score
get back on propecia but take .5 mg per day instead of 1. If not that even a lower dose will get decent results instead of dropping it cold turkey.

pinkfloyd7

Established Member
Reaction score
can you really have the exact same results with .5mg finasteride than if you were taking 1mg everyday ?