Half Marathons, Hair Systems, Big Time Sweater

new2this

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

so I recently committed to running a half marathon in September. With this quarantine I have had my unit off for much of the time and have thus had no problem with exercise, despite me being a very heavy sweater. i realized today that my decision may have been short sighted, because once this thing has to go on more regularly I’m not sure how it will hold up with 5 days a week of intense sweating (I’ll be running over 5 miles every day).

As some of you may have seen in my other post,I also am trying to switch to ghost bond for the health benefits and to avoid the irritation I was getting from using walker ultra hold (mostly without scalp protector, incorporating it helped) At this point, I’m willing to try another glue, maybe something silicone based but open to suggestions.

my question is, is anyone here highly active and intensely sweating 4-5 days a week? What adhesive do you use to ensure a strong hold? How often do you have to reapply? Normally with DYI I go about a week before removing (with ultra hold, poly .03 base). Did I just doom myself for the next 6 months until this race?

Last edited:

new2this

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know that everyone is different and I’ll have to experiment for myself, but if anyone can point me in the right direction or give some
Perspective id appreciate

Nostab2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I used to be a goal tender on a hockey league. Under the mask it was a oven along with all the pads. I would pour sweat. Back then I was using vapon no tape with no issues on the bond with sweating. Not sure how ghost bond would be in this situation. I would imagine less hold during that kind of sweating

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi new2this

I am very similar to you. I sweat PROFUSELY, especially in the heat and when exercising. I run half marathons fairly often and marathons slightly less often (although in fairness I haven't run a marathon since getting my system).

I use Ghostbond Platinum or Ghostbond Supreme - both seem to be effective, but I also use Walker Max Hold Sport as a scalp protector, which I believe is the magic ingredient.

When you exercise a lot, you will certainly need to do more maintenance, possibly every day if you're like me. That doesn't mean a full removal and clean, but certainly the sides and hairline will need some attention. However, this is part and parcel of having an active lifestyle and a hair system, and something that you will need to get used to. It's actually not much bother when you get used to the little touch ups required.

As far as running on the day is concerned, as long as you have bonded the system well at least 48 before race day, you should experience absolutely no problems whatsoever. One of my favourite things about running in events is seeing the photos of me with dope hair! I would bring a hat along if you are meeting people afterwards, not because there will be an obvious problem, but for your own peace of mind as the first thing on your mind when you finish the run will be how your hair looks (trust me, it will look fine, but you will still want the comfort of knowing you have something to put on it.)

I was supposed to be running the Edinburgh marathon in May, but that has been put off until September. I'm really looking forward to it, and I have no concerns about my system causing me any issues.

Good luck and try to enjoy your training! Remember, you got a hair system so you could enjoy life!