Hairtransplant Without Finasteride? Can It Work?

Anand0001

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,
I am 23 years old and have been diffuse thinning since I was 15. Before you freak out, I am not considering a hair transplant just about rn, but I am just curious if it can work without finasteride or not.

I still have a lot of thick hair on my scalp, with a bald spot at my crown which can easily be hidden with a concealer.

As I have noticed that my hairloss is comparatively very slow, and I am very positive that I will be able to use concealer and get away with bald spots for at least 5-6 years maybe even more.

I started taking finasteride and started having side-effects; brain fog and low libido. I took it for one month, had side effects since first week that gradually became more serious while I was consoling me with the nocebo angle. I have been off of finasteride for 33 days I still don't feel a 100% okay, but it's getting better, so I am hoping that I will recover fully in maybe under a month or so.

Since I can not take finasteride, my options are pretty much wound up. So I was thinking if I can wait for half a decade till a lot of my hair is gone and get a FUT hairtransplant without taking finasteride.

I have inherited male pattern baldness from my maternal side of family, my maternal uncles were all bald in their later 20s, and still have thick donor hair at age 40-45. The baldness on top forms a very narrow channel.

I know everyone recommends some form of anti-androgen with hairtransplant but last few months have been very scary for me and I don't think I can re-start any medication that messes up my hormones.

Any advice is welcomed.

Jamiewilliams77777

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It can and will Defantly work without finesteride I’ve seen loads of people get great results without using it

Maxx79

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ultimately it depends on how agressive your alopecia is vs how good your donor is. You'll get a better idea as your alopecia progresses but in most cases it's better to continue finasteride after a hair transplant for best results, especially in young patients. A lot of reputable hair transplant practitioners won't operate young patients unless they're under finasteride / dutasteride treatment, as the evolution of alopecia can be difficult to predict, and you may end up with more bald areas to cover than your donor can handle.

On the upside as you're still young maybe hair multiplication / cloning could be a future option for you, if this becomes reality in 5-10 years you wouldn't need finasteride in theory as DHT resistant donor hair supply would become infinite

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ultimately it depends on how agressive your alopecia is vs how good your donor is. You'll get a better idea as your alopecia progresses but in most cases it's better to continue finasteride after a hair transplant for best results, especially in young patients. A lot of reputable hair transplant practitioners won't operate young patients unless they're under finasteride / dutasteride treatment, as the evolution of alopecia can be difficult to predict, and you may end up with more bald areas to cover than your donor can handle.

On the upside as you're still young maybe hair multiplication / cloning could be a future option for you, if this becomes reality in 5-10 years you wouldn't need finasteride in theory as DHT resistant donor hair supply would become infinite

I agree with the above, except I seriously do NOT believe cloning/multiplication will become available for clinical use anytime in the near future. We heard about this waaaaay too long ago, yet little to no progress has been made. All you have to do is look thru the new technology section of the forum and soon you realise how little we have come in the way of 'cure'.
I'd say baldness is here to stay, and the best thing to do is act ASAP rather than hoping for miracles to come before one reaches their retirement age.

Last edited: