Hairstyle Question And Some Tape Information.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
post the msds please!

the tape itself is somekind of of plastic or polyurethane so it must contain bisphenols, if not phthalates. the glue perhaps is a homogenous mass of just polyacrylate, but not the tape. luckily the scalp is in contact with the glue, not the tape, so it may not be such a bad thing, if the tape plastic itself is estrogenic

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I tried to do some research on the health risks of polyutherane, but all I can find is that the product is non-toxic, unless it's set on fire (which is highly unlikely haha).
already wrote this a few weeks ago:
Alopurinol 2 points 25 days ago

All plastics are added additives to get them to be heat resistant, uv resistant, transparent, durable etc. Sadly there's few information about the toxicity of each additive and there are more than a 1000. While I was working on my research yesterday I stumbled upon a table with each polymer and the relative risk associated and polyurethane was considered the top most dangerous (Lithner et al. 2011).

here's the study: https://gupea.ub.gu.se/bitstream/2077/24978/1/gupea_2077_24978_1.pdf

the only way to go is this imo: http://www.network54.com/Forum/678938/message/1426447826/Non+Toxic+Edible+Glue

those msds-s are of little value: they rarely name the ingredients. in the case of liquid adhesives they give out clearer information about the ingredients, especially ghostbond, so i would only trust products from http://www.prohairlabs.com/ , if any

Last edited:

Fanjeera

Reaction score
This was the reply I got:
''The interior carrier is a urethane. If you are concerned about exposure to the urethane we have an alternative that I have already passed on to Hair Direct we call All-Base. It uses essentially the same adhesive, but with a lightly woven/spun cloth material. Maybe you can encourage Hair Direct to stock it for you. If not, you’re right – under normal use conditions the urethane would never make direct contact with your skin. Have a nice weekend.''
tape made from clothe would be good. but it's not sold anywhere right now?

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Hey Fanjeera,

Thanks for your reply. Since glue is more likely to get into the blood stream, are the ingredients used to make that glue safe for it (even tho those are natural ingredients)?

Also, I asked the guy from the supertape about bisphenols, this was his reply:
''I can check on the BPAs for you, but that would have to be on Monday. Normally, these are found in hard plastics, not soft acrylics, and missible in ethanol which is not a solvent used in this adhesive formulation.
''I’ll let you know about the BPAs, but, given my time and experience in this industry, it seems very unlikely. ''

Thanks for your help Fanjeera!
they've started to make bpa-free products now, but that doesn't mean bisphenol free. bisphenol a can be replaced with bisphenol b or bisphenol s for example. they're as estrogenic as bpa. impossible to produce plastic without those endocrine disruptors

what glue are you talking about? glues made from just polyacrylate seem safe. but lots of them have some kind of other weird cancerogens added

Fanjeera

Reaction score
bloodstream (if they do)?

Also, what tape/adhesive do you use
I use Ghostbond.

since 2007 is very small time. cancer, manboob, infertilty and erectile dysfunction develops over long time. they can't tell what happens to their clients either, because when you've got some kind of cancer already it's difficult to think of those chemicals as a cause, difficult for the patient to remind it, the physician may not care what the cause is and in that stage it doesn't matter anymore anyway.

men are using these things for their whole life. 8 years of experience is little compared to lifelong

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Again, worrisome :confused:..
What would you recommand me to do? They claim it cant penentrate the skin.. what do you think about that?
What do the men who have been using these thing their whole life use?
i would worry more about the components of the glue yes. but what's interesting about tapes, is that they never give out any information at all about the glue on them. that's the reason i trust liquid adhesives -- their components are not that big of a secret.

here's a longer discussion about the matter: http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=9&threadid=79438