Hairpiece (with human hair) really dry after a month, any tips?

prb83

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello !

i have a question, my hairpiece is still full of hair i can still use it for a while, but it's really really dry, i tried some products, it doesn't work much...

do you have any tips ?

thank you !

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
So when you got it, it was fine, and then after a couple of washes it's not? I am wondering if they sent you a dried-out old system that they sprayed with silicone?

prb83

My Regimen
Reaction score
So when you got it, it was fine, and then after a couple of washes it's not? I am wondering if they sent you a dried-out old system that they sprayed with silicone?
i'm a hairpiece user for 5 years now, and i always had the same problem, it gets dry after a month... and i tried many different places to buy hairpieces and it's always the same. My haircutter told me it's because the hair are not moisturised by human sebum since they are not my real hair, so it's kinda normal that it gets dry.

just wondering if there is a solution ? at least temporary one before a date ? :\

Last edited:

prb83

My Regimen
Reaction score
i heard that putting a bit of vaseline on a comb could help, but not sure ! i don't want to do something stupid !

prb83

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not sure I can imagine trying to get vaseline out of the hair. Sounds like an awful one to do
yep that's why i don't think it's a good idea
i heard about coconut or jojoba oil (i have both at home)

not sure what to think about that

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just use a decent leave in conditioner spray every day (or several times a day), and wash it with shampoo every so often, and condition it with something like Back2Natural or any good hair conditioner and it'll be fine. I don't get this problem at all. You can't just leave a hair system 'as it is', never condition it then expect it not to be dry.

prb83

My Regimen
Reaction score
wtf if you can leave your hair system "as it is" without being dry, it means i have problem oO

is it like baldbeared told me ? they sent me a dried out one with silicone on it ? but it's weird i always had the same problem and i tried to buy in many different place. they always get so dry after a month and i don't even wash my hairpiece, it's my haircutter who is doing it once a month so i'm not using wrong shampoo or else.

i really don't understand...

is it possible to buy silicone spray ?

Blue eyes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hold it. You wash your system once a month?? There lies a different problem.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
wtf if you can leave your hair system "as it is" without being dry, it means i have problem oO

is it like baldbeared told me ? they sent me a dried out one with silicone on it ? but it's weird i always had the same problem and i tried to buy in many different place. they always get so dry after a month and i don't even wash my hairpiece, it's my haircutter who is doing it once a month so i'm not using wrong shampoo or else.

Use pure Jojoba oil, lightly.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I never said you should leave your system 'as it is'. I said you have to condition it and NOT leave it 'as it is'. Re-read my reply. If your system is 'drying out' after a month, you're not using good enough conditioners.

As for silicone, new hair systems are coated with it at the factory so the system is less fragile during shipping, however this should always be washed off before your first attachment.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
I never said you should leave your system 'as it is'. I said you have to condition it and NOT leave it 'as it is'. Re-read my reply. If your system is 'drying out' after a month, you're not using good enough conditioners.

As for silicone, new hair systems are coated with it at the factory so the system is less fragile during shipping, however this should always be washed off before your first attachment.
There are many hair systems specific products, such as Remy soft, that contain silicone. I've purchased many and was unimpressed. The hair looks great after washing and conditioning with them..... However in the following days.... The hair is significantly drier and more coarse than it was before using the product.

I agree stick with good quality shampoo and conditioner, use them regularly....and you'll be good.....

I still say: pure Jojoba is the best thing to use!

prb83

My Regimen
Reaction score
yep i won't, i knew it was a bad idea !

so yeah it's my issue! i never use conditioner ! that's why, i didn't know it was important to use one! do you think it's possible to smooth my hairpiece if i use a conditioner everyday now ?

i think it's already better than yesterday, not sure if it's gonna improve more.

There are many hair systems specific products, such as Remy soft, that contain silicone. I've purchased many and was unimpressed. The hair looks great after washing and conditioning with them..... However in the following days.... The hair is significantly drier and more coarse than it was before using the product.

I agree stick with good quality shampoo and conditioner, use them regularly....and you'll be good.....

this morning i put a conditioner, and i used pure jojoba oil a few hours ago!

thanks for the tip!

Fanjeera

Reaction score

How exactly do you use it? It's sold in a regular bottle where it just pours out.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Try a good reconstructor like Olaplex No. 3 or Redken Extreme CAT.

IMO, never shampoo, just condition, and use styling products sparingly if at all.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
How exactly do you use it? It's sold in a regular bottle where it just pours out.
Jojoba oil? It's actually considered a wax. It's sold bottled in pure form. I use an eyedropper (from an old Rogaine bottle) to dispense about 1ml....which I run through damp hair.
Screenshot_20211220-192528_Amazon Shopping.jpg

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello !

i have a question, my hairpiece is still full of hair i can still use it for a while, but it's really really dry, i tried some products, it doesn't work much...

do you have any tips ?

thank you !
Hi, I use Bonfi Natural Oil Free Wig Shine, good for real and synthetic hair, and not as oily as other products containing argan oil, etc..

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I use Bonfi Natural Oil Free Wig Shine, good for real and synthetic hair, and not as oily as other products containing argan oil, etc..
I tried that early on, and did not have a good result. Its active ingredients are silicone... which as I mentioned earlier, for me, makes the hair better for a day and it leaves it in worse condition than it was before applying.