HairLossTalk.com, Repetitive.....

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
HairLossTalk.com, sorry to be so repetitive, but I need advice, seeing how you have talked to so many on propecia...My hair is getting worse by the day, I am on month 7 of propecia,nizoral and 3 for folligen. I haven't experienced any side effects. Is there a strong possibility this just isnt working for me. I mean I would surely know at this point if it was working for me, correct?
My hair is just gettting incredibly thin and Im going crazy over it......thanks for the advice.......

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain man. Each and everyday my hair appears worse then the day before. I hope things get better for you. There's nothing harder then having to wait out a treatment, constantly questioning whether you may be a non-responder, particularly if your hair is already thin and cannot bear further sheds.

The Gardener

Reaction score
No sh*t, jblig, you are on month seven?! That sucks. Well, perhaps it is time to give into the topicals. They have been great for me. Are you really averse to minoxidil? It is not as bad as some make it sound.

Taking the topicals is in NO way a sign of giving up on the finasteride. MANY here have said that the synergy of the minoxidil and finasteride provides exponentially better results than either of the two alone. Now that your system is fully exposed to finasteride, perhaps the added minoxidil is just what your hair is waiting for in order for your hairline to have the norwood version of orgasm?

Rawbbie

Established Member
Reaction score
i think the worse your hairloss when you begin propecia, the more advanced your male pattern baldness is and the longer it will take to begin its effects.

it's common knowledge to wait up until one year to see if it's working. 7 months is a lot of time, but definitely not definitive. another 5 months might do the trick for you. hang in there.

if it doesn't work by this september, then consider other options.

shineydome

Established Member
Reaction score
Rawbbie said:
i think the worse your hairloss when you begin propecia, the more advanced your male pattern baldness is and the longer it will take to begin its effects.

I'm using BIG 3 and my hair responded very quickly... my hairline was just about gone when I started in November 2003. I had lots of "wispy" little white hairs (almost invisible) all over my scalp that now have turned into thick(er) hair. (still a LONG way to go..and I am very doubtful if my hair will ever look "normal" again). I do not know which treatment is the main contributor to the growth, (finasteride,minoxidil,NIZORAL), but at this point, I do not care to experiment, but to ride it till I see zero change over an extended period. (??) Maybe then I will try some other types of topicals, spironolactone?

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, thanks for the support fellas, Kramer3-yeah man its f*****g rough, my hair is just goin down the tubes pretty quick, when I started propecia I would have been more than happy to just keep what I have, cus it wasnt quite noticeable that I was balding, but now it sucks so I need to figure out what Im gonna do........

Gardener, its not that Im so adverse to topicals I was just hoping propecia would be enough by itself to at least maintain 7 mos. ago, Everyone says wait a year, so Im not quite sure what Im gonna do yet.

Rawbbie, my hair wasnt all that bad when I began propecia, some recession and a tad bit of diffusion in the front, I was definately going to lose it but hoped propecia would save it, so I take action immediately. Im most definately going to stay on it for a year, but might add rogaine if things get intollerable, which it is very close to being.

Shineydome, yeah man your hair looks like its doing real well, you were a good responder it definately looks better than the base photos, I will keep that in mind at the time of my minoxidil desperation..

Has anyone else seen nothing in month 7 and then bounce back within the 1 year mark?? thanks again, best of luck.........

fuzbucket

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi JBlig,

I am in the exact same situation as you. I have been on propecia and nizoral for 7 months, with no sides really and no results either really, maybe slowed the loss. I'm going to wait a year before minoxidil, because atleast the summer will be over before I go through any sheds, also I think it's smart you're using folligen already.... so you can prep your scalp for the minoxidil. Hey if you have MSN and you want to share yourresults, e-mail me with your MSN. Thanks.

In-valid

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Again, the clinical data answers the questions you guys have. Please familiarize yourself with it. In the 2 year trial run on 1,553 men, a significant percentage of them continued losing hair until the 1 year mark when Propecia began to work for them. 7 months is just over halfway there. You still could be a responder. Every time you add and take away from your regimen, you introduce a new influence, and possibly new shedding, so there's no telling if Folligen is kicking in and adding its own mini shed to the equation right now too. Thats why I always tell people not to screw with their regimen so much, and wait at least in intervals of 6 months before adding or taking away from it.

According to the data though, many people will not see results until one year, and Merck explicitly states in several places that if you don't see results by year 1, you are likely just not a responder to Propecia.

I would also like to see some photos of your hair at baseline and your hair now. I don't trust the human mind or the human eye, as I myself thought I was continuing to lose hair well into month 11 on Propecia and my photos clearly stated otherwise.

jblig said:
I need advice, seeing how you have talked to so many on propecia
I don't base what I know on what people say on internet forums. There is too much room for innacuracy and error and subjectivity. I base it on the data, if it exists, like in this case. :)

HairLossTalk.com

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks HairLossTalk.com, yeah I had to add folligen as my scalp seemed to be irritated, I would get these sore little bumps that felt like pimples, however thanks to folligen I have them no more, It was my understanding the optimal scalp health is key in the equation for propecia working, well nizoral wasn't cutting it so I added the folligen.... Im definately going to give it the year and see how she goes....

blue

Experienced Member
Reaction score
HairLossTalk.com Said:
"In the 2 year trial run on 1,553 men, a significant percentage of them continued losing hair until the 1 year mark when Propecia began to work for them."

What sucks about this is...if you have to wait a year for it to start working...thats several months more of shedding and hairloss ..then if you get on something else that might work in a couple months.