HairLossTalk.com Admin - I have a minoxidil question

Reaction score
I have used 2% minoxidil for 5 days now and have not exprienced the dreadful shed....is this a sign? In addition, no scalp irritation has been noticed yet either?!?! Does that happen after long term use?

Is the minoxidil working? Note - I have used it once a day for a few days and twice a day when it was possible.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Minoxidil takes a minimum of 4 to 6 months to work. Shedding, if seen at all, does not typically begin until week 2 or 3.

HairLossTalk.com

SadMom

Established Member
Reaction score
Questions about Minoxidil....

My derm gave me the 5% to use as he says women can use it too. But, won't there be nasty side affects? I already have a little bit of unwanted facial hair, etc....

It says not to use it if your scalp is irritated. Well, I have been battling sebhoreic dermatitis for months. It is still a problem and I have sensitive skin in general. Is this just going to make it worse?

Do I have to absolutely NOT use this if I get pregnant? It's topical.... because what if I start using it, and then several months in stop because of that? Won't that have just been a waste of time?

Sorry for all the questions? Everyone keeps telling me to just use the stuff... but it seems like a big decision to me. Besides the mess of it, and side affects, the success rate they quote sucks.

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd find out about the pregnancy aspect.

Even though it is topical, some of it must be absorbed into your system.
After all, hormone creams are applied topically and go into your system quickly.
Wouldn't any topical treatment be absorbed to some extent??

Any experts around on this absorption issue??

totaldispHAIR

Established Member
Reaction score
SadMom,

If you get pregnant, I'd probably recommend holding off on minoxidil. Some of it does get absorbed into your blood stream; do a search on previous posts; there are a lot of people who stopped minoxidil because they got sympoms like racing heart, headaches, etc.

Start with 2%. 5% will increase the likelihood that you'll shed and/or irritate your seb derm more. I've read on posts that people with seb derm get a lot more irritated due to the minoxidil; so you might be better off waiting until seb derm clears before you use it. Or, do a little patch test for a while and if it doesn't get irritated, move on to the rest of your scalp.

Seb derm can be caused by stress, even if you don't think you have stress. Your body goes into fight-or-flight and then pumps out cortisol. The quality of the oil (sebum) on your head changes and is higher in cholesterol and triglycerides. Your seb derm can be related to being a new mom, the hormonal changes, etc. One thing that soothes the scalp is to do a one part to one part mixture of peppermint tea and cider vinegar. Rinse it through your scalp after you shampoo with your seb derm shampoo and then rinse it out. It should help.

I know that you're probably desperate to start a "solution" right away; just make sure that you research and know the pros and cons before you jump into anything. My personal experience has found that a lot of doctors don't know what they're talking about when it comes to hairloss, so you need to be the gatekeeper of what treatments you choose, and what you choose to put into your body. If I went on the blind faith of all the doctors I've seen, I'd be screwed.

Blessings to you.

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, T.D.,

Did you ever go to another endo? Did you have any luck?

I had my endo appt, and she doesn't do female hormone stuff. She tested for DHEA-s and thyroid and a few others I zoned out about. Mentioned over-active adrenals as a possibility. But I had other issues, including low, low progesterone, which she wouldn't test for, even. Claimed ignorance on the subj.

Basically, she thought this was something for a gyn, and gave me a few names. We'll see...

Any input?

totaldispHAIR

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi MarieJoe,

I did see another endo, she was very sympathetic and listed to me. Said that going off bcp was a good thing, but it was going to take several months before we could determine if it was helping or not making a difference. She tested my androstenedione and 17-hydroxy-progesterone...all which came back "normal". I've been off bcp for two cycles now, and have not noticed much difference. I just re-tested my estrogen/testosterone levels (now that I'm off bcp) and am waiting until the 21st day of my cycle to test progesterone. Should be able to tell if my body's starting to kick back in.

I think going to a gyno is a great idea. My gyno was the only one who caught that my estro/progest. levels were too low.

I've got an appointment on the 13th of August with Vera Price at UCSF. I'm a bit nervous...feel like she's my last hope, and yet, I'm afraid she may tell me something I don't want to hear. Or, she won't have any answers.

Oh well, what're you going to do except keep trying?

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
At least your endo tested for female hormones. The one I saw claimed ignorance, like she didn't take those classes in endo school.
Damn, at least your gyn tested for estrogen/progesterone. If mine did, he sure didn't think the results were off. Although, my estrogen was low, but it should be at menopause. He's the one who initially thought I should see an endo, based on the wrong DHEA test. Guess he missed the day at school they talked about hormone ratios! :twisted:

A new gyn might be the answer, but since I started the progesterone, I guess I should wait 4-6 weeks...and see what my blood work at the endo shows.
Your right, you almost are afraid they might come up with something weird, like diabetes, or worse.
At least the endo was honest with me. She seems genuinely concerned for my frustration. Not htat it helps me, unless she ends up finding me a gyn that fits my needs!!!

Amen!! to trying! Let's hope we get "THE ANSWER" :rockon: :hairy: