Hairloss, Started Finasteride 3 Months Ago, Still Shedding

Multiben

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello!

I noticed that my hair started shedding this last June. At first I thought it might be because of all the stress in my life. It didn't stop even after 1 month so I bought finasteride and nizoral that I use 3 times a week. But my hair is still shedding. I lose hair everytime I run my hand through my hair or I comb my hair. My drains are clogged with hair. I can't say my shedding as increased or decreased on finasteride but I would say that my hair is slowly thinning even though it's still pretty hard to tell.

When is the shed supposed to stop? I bought generic 5 mg pills that i try to split evenly in 4 pieces, even though that's really difficult to do as the easily crumble. I might get 0.8 mg one day and 1.4 mg another day. I heard this could cause shedding but I'm not sure. I thought the shedding should've stopped by now!

Northface32

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If your a good or even descent responder .5 is enough, Regarding the shedding it's normal....will last anywhere up untill a year then you should begin to worry. It's normal to shed, kicking old hair out to make room for thicker hair. This can take several cycles. I've read of people who really began seeing the best results after two years. Best of luck

Inigo1202

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Shedding is normal. The majority of people taking Finasteride or Minoxidil have it. It's actually a good sign: weak hairs are falling and leaving room for stronger, thicker ones.

The problem? Everything regarding hair cycles is slow as f***. I always say the absolute minimun time you have to keep the tratment to see any results is around 6 months. And that's actually a short time. 1 year should always be the goal. And 2 years should be the peak.

Regarding shedding, 3 months is within the normal range for it. Some people even experience shedding months after their first one stopped. Hair cycles are strange and people react differently to antiandrogens.

If it goes beyond 6-8 months, there's probably something worrying about your scalp.

As I always say: dermatologists are the ones that will tell you. So if you continue with it after that mark, go visit the doctor. He'll tell you whats wrong.

For the moment, it's normal to have shedding the first months. As I said, it's a good sign: the treatment is working.

Ascension

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Shedding is normal. The majority of people taking Finasteride or Minoxidil have it. It's actually a good sign: weak hairs are falling and leaving room for stronger, thicker ones.

The problem? Everything regarding hair cycles is slow as f***. I always say the absolute minimun time you have to keep the tratment to see any results is around 6 months. And that's actually a short time. 1 year should always be the goal. And 2 years should be the peak.

Regarding shedding, 3 months is within the normal range for it. Some people even experience shedding months after their first one stopped. Hair cycles are strange and people react differently to antiandrogens.

If it goes beyond 6-8 months, there's probably something worrying about your scalp.

As I always say: dermatologists are the ones that will tell you. So if you continue with it after that mark, go visit the doctor. He'll tell you whats wrong.

For the moment, it's normal to have shedding the first months. As I said, it's a good sign: the treatment is working.
Hey im 1 month into finasteride and im still losing hair, 200 hair a day, i read that shedded hair are suppose to have a white bulb on them and like 90% of the hair i shed dont, does that mean its not shedding and its actually still hair loss?

Northface32

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey im 1 month into finasteride and im still losing hair, 200 hair a day, i read that shedded hair are suppose to have a white bulb on them and like 90% of the hair i shed dont, does that mean its not shedding and its actually still hair loss?
It's their you probably don't see it cause the root is so miniaturized.

Ascension

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's their you probably don't see it cause the root is so miniaturized.

heres a pic of the hair i lose, the single hair in the middle is a hair i pulled out of the side of the scalp which is 3 weeks of growth from completely buzzing my head to 0. My hair vissualy is the same length as the single longer hair in the middle. But yet every single hair there besides that is the same short and weak length and density. Again this is supposed to be 3 weeks of growth like the single long hair in the middle but they are all so short. So what do you think is it loss or shedding? This is after starting a very aggresive regimen all at once out of nothing and im losing even more hair than before, 2 days after showering my scalp worth of hairfall right there.