Hairloss on the side of my side (patchy)

lostboy182

Reaction score
Hi All,

Ive managed to control the hairloss on top of my head with minoxidil, and dutasteride over many many years. But somehow over the last 18 months or so, Ive noticed a sequence of patches - almost like "puncture marks" on the side of my head on one side, near the front.

Does anyone have any idea on what the cause could possibly be?

What can I do to find out? Ive tried speaking to local dermatologists who have told me that my bloodwork and thyroid count is all normal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lostboy182

Reaction score
Added the relevant pictures

Attachments

• D073882F-B0F9-439B-9A8A-692736658600.jpeg
    D073882F-B0F9-439B-9A8A-692736658600.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 58A42604-EBA0-4C30-A4A8-A46B477B9582.jpeg
    58A42604-EBA0-4C30-A4A8-A46B477B9582.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 131
  • 6E63D996-AF75-4DF0-8902-2A434A89650F.jpeg
    6E63D996-AF75-4DF0-8902-2A434A89650F.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 127

lostboy182

Reaction score
The second picture is a bit red as this was following on from some microneedling. But as you can from my 3rd picture, but hairloss regrowth on top has been ok, just cant explain how the sides are thinning like this

Jpw1999

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Retrograde alopecia, I have it and it hasn't got any worse in years. I think it's quite common in people who have male pattern baldness.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
The second picture is a bit red as this was following on from some microneedling. But as you can from my 3rd picture, but hairloss regrowth on top has been ok, just cant explain how the sides are thinning like this
If a dermatologist cant even help you, then how are we suposed to help you?

lostboy182

Reaction score
Thanks guys just that not many dermatologists have a clue about hair loss and many have never even heard of dutasteride.

appreciate the help

Jpw1999

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks jpw, do you use minoxidil in the retrograde areas and has it helped?
Never used minoxidil. I first noticed thinning on the back and sides 4 years ago and I started finasteride 9 months ago. It didn't get any worse without treatment. Minoxidil should help thicken it up though. I have heard by posters on here that dutasteride can cause thinning on the sides because of raised testosterone.

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think it's retrograde. Looks like fungal infection or something like that. I've already had it in the past, even before having hair loss, and it grew back normally.

Last edited:

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How did you have this diagnosed? Was it via a blood test?
I don't know exactly, I was too young and don't remember how they came to the conclusion it was fungal, but yes, I did blood tests and the dermatologist at the time looked at my scalp with a microscope thing. Prescribed me a topical remedy and some pills and I eventually got better.

lostboy182

Reaction score
So I finally did find a reliable dermatologist, who examined my scalp carefully, and concluded that it is lichen planopilaris. I have had some steroid injections in to the thinning areas, and will soon start Hydroxychloroquine.

Im still taking Oral minoxidil / Dutasteride / And Spironolactone (to keep my T levels lower). Just hoping for the best now.

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I finally did find a reliable dermatologist, who examined my scalp carefully, and concluded that it is lichen planopilaris. I have had some steroid injections in to the thinning areas, and will soon start Hydroxychloroquine.

Im still taking Oral minoxidil / Dutasteride / And Spironolactone (to keep my T levels lower). Just hoping for the best now.
So are you going to stop Duta and spironolactone?

Nodonor2

My Regimen
Reaction score
So you have male pattern baldness and scarring alopecia?why would you even consider stopping male pattern baldness treatments?
I also have scarring alopecia, male pattern baldness and recently just developed dupa and I had a hairtransplant 2 years ago
Life sucks lol