PURPOSE: To determine the effect of a 6-month very low carbohydrate
diet program on body weight and other metabolic
parameters.

SUBJECTS AND METHODS: Fifty-one overweight or obese
healthy volunteers who wanted to lose weight were placed on a
very low carbohydrate diet (25 g/d), with no limit on caloric
intake

Adverse Effects
At some point during the 24 weeks, 28 subjects (68%)
reported constipation, 26 (63%) reported bad breath, 21 (51%) reported headache, 4 (10%) noted hair loss, and 1 woman (3%) reported increased menstrual bleeding.

full text:
http://www.calstatela.edu/faculty/rdeleon/504/westman.pdf

wstef

Established Member
Reaction score
Although I would never doubt the temporary issues - constipation, bad breath, headache etc... (people always report this on the Atkins, for example), I think that the sample size is too small to determine it's effect on hair loss.

Something like 40% of people start losing their hair before their mid-life so 10% of this group is probably about right.

I think it's pretty much a general consensus that in most cases of hair loss it's genetic and diet is a secondary factor.

But... I also have no doubts that a good diet helps to maintain healthy hair (e.g. thickness, colour, scalp condition etc)

vjykmr89

Reaction score
Rapid weight loss will often cause hair loss, but it's not permanent. This time around, why not try for a more moderate weight loss rate, not only will it help prevent the hair loss, but it will make it easier to stick to low carb as a permanent way of life.

amandahuper

Reaction score
Natural diet

It is always essential to consume a best natural diet specially for women's, during their menstrual periods, as given in the above research that this can also cause hairloss and complicated issues. Most of the women consume commercial baked food, drinks containing caffeine during their periods, which contributes to cramps and mood swings. It is better to maintain good healthy diet for healthy hair.

OutlawL

Reaction score
6 months seems like a very very long period to maintain such a diet. I heard good things about slow carb diet, it seems like a much better alternative to a low carb

Mikazz

Established Member
Reaction score
Eating "low-carb" does not assert the quality of what you eat. They were also provided poor quality multi-vitamins (some low quality vitamin can be harmful).