Hairloss in Teens

Papasmurf34

Reaction score
I've been lurking here for a while but I've finally gotten so fed up with everything I decided I needed to let out my emotions and this is the only place I can imagine talking about this crap without getting judged. I'm already a nw4 at 18 and it sucks I can only think of one other guy my age that has anythi ng beyond a nw1.5. Ever since it started my life has been nothing but depression and I've lost most of my friends and my entire social life because of it. Going to school has become a drag because I feel like a senior citizen walking around a bunch of teens and I hate the way I look. I don't know if I could even show my face in public if it wasn't for dermatch and toppik. I have a girlfriend at the moment but I don't know how long it'll last as our relationship only seems to get worse the more my hairline recedes. I'm beyond unmotivated and depressed in almost everything I do if life and I don't see it getting any better. It seems like life has become pointless and I'm destined to suffer my entire life, and at points it seems like suicide might be a better option even though I know that's a terrible thing to say...

Austin:316

Established Member
Reaction score
First of all suicide is never an option, because I believe in hell and that if you kill yourself you go there and burn for eternity. Call me crazy but that's what I believe. Now, despite what you will read on this site, appearance is not everything. It's actually a very small part of life. Many people who don't look good go onto achieve great things. Have you tried finasteride? If not, look into it. If side effects kick in ditch it and seek another treatment. Don't care what others think of you. If you had a full head of hair they would find something else to criticize you about. Live your life, do the things you enjoy. You only live once and not for a long time, so make the most of it. Good luck.

Papasmurf34

Reaction score
First of all suicide is never an option, because I believe in hell and that if you kill yourself you go there and burn for eternity. Call me crazy but that's what I believe. Now, despite what you will read on this site, appearance is not everything. It's actually a very small part of life. Many people who don't look good go onto achieve great things. Have you tried finasteride? If not, look into it. If side effects kick in ditch it and seek another treatment. Don't care what others think of you. If you had a full head of hair they would find something else to criticize you about. Live your life, do the things you enjoy. You only live once and not for a long time, so make the most of it. Good luck.

Thanks for the kind words Austin. Suicide is never the option, I've had three friends kill themselves and the pain it's caused me is unbearable. But hair loss causes me so much suffering that thoughts like that lol in my head and I feel very guilty about it. It's just that hair loss at this age has caused me such immense suffering and I've fallen into a big black pit of depression. As far as finasteride goes I've been there and done that back when I was 16 but I had some sexual sides and bad brain fog and and it didn't help much so I stopped after 6 painful months. Now I just mega dose saw pallemetto and other odd treatments that I find on the Internet just in hopes that I might slow it down even though it doesn't matter at this point as I already look like an old man because my hairlines so far up my head.

Austin:316

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words Austin. Suicide is never the option, I've had three friends kill themselves and the pain it's caused me is unbearable. But hair loss causes me so much suffering that thoughts like that lol in my head and I feel very guilty about it. It's just that hair loss at this age has caused me such immense suffering and I've fallen into a big black pit of depression. As far as finasteride goes I've been there and done that back when I was 16 but I had some sexual sides and bad brain fog and and it didn't help much so I stopped after 6 painful months. Now I just mega dose saw pallemetto and other odd treatments that I find on the Internet just in hopes that I might slow it down even though it doesn't matter at this point as I already look like an old man because my hairlines so far up my head.

I understand that it would be severely difficult to deal with at that age. You said you tried finasteride for 6 months when you were 16. As far as I know that is too young to be taking it, so maybe your body just couldn't cope with it. Maybe it would be different now. Also there is minoxoidil that regrows hair in some cases or at least helps maintain. And there are supposedly other treatments on the way. And if failing all of that you could begin to look into hair restoration surgery.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I saw high school year book photos of a guy I work with recently. He was also an NW3-4 at 18. That's beyond cruel... Just have to take the proven treatments for now and pray that replicel or folicept come through in the next 5-10 years. Work hard and study so you can get a good job and can afford it when they do...

- - - Updated - - -

And for the record, that guy is now working in a Japanese high school and his students think he's cool/stylish, despite being a 5,7" white guy with not quite the right features for a shaved head.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
LOL people still think Folliscam will save them?

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's too early to tell. I have more hope for replicel, but if Folicept can buy a bit more time before Replicel hits the market then it will serve its purpose.

Folliman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hang in there buddy, there's new treatments in the horizon! In the meantime you could look into kerastem, scalp micropigmentation. Go to a derm or two and ask if hair transplant would be an option for you. I'm really sorry you have to go through that.

Baldingat188

Reaction score
Yep man your situation sounds similar to mine , although we have different hair loss

I recently turned 18 and I have noticed my hair thinning in the crown for about a year

For someone who is somewhat pale , 5"6 and has always relied on medium length hair to look good I figure I'll just have to accept the fact that I won't be dating anyone

I gotta agree with you , it's the worst . I don't know what reason I even have to live

Papasmurf34

Reaction score
It sucks man especially when you're our age and you haven't even formed an identity yet. Talk about the best years of your life, ever since I was 16 when I became a Norwood 2.5 my life's been stressing about how my hair looked and how I can stop it. I've done fine with girls and I still kind of do despite only being 5'8 and white, once this strip of hair on my head becomes a full blown island not Eve on hair concealer will make it look somewhat presentable. I'm with a girl right now and she's great but I know she's not entirely happy with my hair and once I become a nw5 there's no way she'll still want to date me. My life seems over before it started and it makes me depressed beyond words. I just want to fall asleep and never wake up.

Baldingat188

Reaction score
Are you going to try finasteride/ propecia? I'm thinking off doing it . I just turned 18 but I feel it's worth a try

My genetics for hair loss are abosutlely terrible with multiple family members being fully bald by the end of college

It's next to impossible to care about things like college and school right now when hair loss makes me feel like ****

Would you ever wear a hair price ? There's such a terrible stigma around it but I just can't accept myself with a bald head

Papasmurf34

Reaction score
Are you going to try finasteride/ propecia? I'm thinking off doing it . I just turned 18 but I feel it's worth a try

My genetics for hair loss are abosutlely terrible with multiple family members being fully bald by the end of college

It's next to impossible to care about things like college and school right now when hair loss makes me feel like ****

Would you ever wear a hair price ? There's such a terrible stigma around it but I just can't accept myself with a bald head

Mine are terrible too my older brother was a nw5 by the age of 20, which is where I'm headed now. Same goes for most of my cousins and uncles, with all but two of them going bald in there 20s. I've tried finasteride two years ago and it gave me sides and didn't really stop my hair from receding. As far as hair pieces go, yes I've considered it and as much as I hate the thought of it I feel like it's something I'll have to consider down the line if I want to live a normal life.

Baldingat188

Reaction score
I think I'm going to try the hair loss drugs for a bit , considering I seem to have inherited the aggressive gene for hair loss I am not optimistic they will work

I feel like bald has hit me very hard because I have always relied on my hair to look decent . I am not bad looking with hair - but once you take it i look awful. I sort of have a young looking face and I don't have the features for pulling off baldness

Don't get me wrong , some guys look fine as bald but I am not one of them. As much as I cringe at the idea of living in constant fear and anxiety with a peice I still feel it is better then the alternative

recedingyt

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was in a similar position.. noticed my hair had become a ~NW2 when I was 16 and freaked out. Considered ordering finasteride on alldaychemist at the time, side effects be damned, but ultimately ended up not doing anything about it hoping it would plateau or at least slow down... I was wrong. Was a NW4 or so by the time I graduated high school. It really takes a toll on you having such a bad self image before you're even done with school. No one should have to deal with hair loss at that age, especially such extensive hair loss. It's just cruel.

I really wish I hadn't wussed out on self medding finasteride. I have no doubt that between finasteride and minoxidil I'd have recovered all of my hair easy.