Hairloss due to alopecia androgenetica?

summergame

Reaction score
In 2010 I've been diagnosed with Alopecia androgenetica from my dermatologist. He precribed me Minoxidil 2,5% but it didn't work. I asked him for a prescription of 5% but he doesn't want t do that because they don't give it to woman, he said. So I went to another dermatologist and she prescribe me immediately 5%. It worked good for me and I saw regrowth of my hairs. I lost many hairs and a few months after the use of the minoxidil it stopped. Now we are 6 years later and I have lost tons of hair again from February 2016. When I wash my hair, the sink is full of hairs and with brushing my hair, it all comes out. Have to clean my bathroom almost every day because of it. I let my blood checked and it's ok. Now I am on a regime : minoxidil 5% 2 times a day since 2010, Diane 35 since 2006, and Nizoral 2 % from this week. I have lot's of ichy scalp and I can go to see a dermatologist half June.

Feeling so anxious because I've lost half of my hair now...

Sonal

Reaction score
Did you get your Ferritin levels checked? Its one the most common causes of hair loss...
And its different from Haemoglobin.

Leslie5555

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know how you feel in the past three months I've lost 50% of my hair and im beyond devastated. I'm 41 years old. I went to the doctor and got blood work done and waiting on results. I was diagnosed with hirsutism in 2009. I took Spironolactone for eight years and it worked great, but it doesn't seem to work for me anymore. I need a Dr. In the U.S that will prescribe a anti androgen. From everything I read everything is for men and nothing for women besides Rogaine

Baraian

My Regimen
Reaction score
In 2010 I've been diagnosed with Alopecia androgenetica from my dermatologist. He precribed me Minoxidil 2,5% but it didn't work. I asked him for a prescription of 5% but he doesn't want t do that because they don't give it to woman, he said. So I went to another dermatologist and she prescribe me immediately 5%. It worked good for me and I saw regrowth of my hairs. I lost many hairs and a few months after the use of the minoxidil it stopped. Now we are 6 years later and I have lost tons of hair again from February 2016. When I wash my hair, the sink is full of hairs and with brushing my hair, it all comes out. Have to clean my bathroom almost every day because of it. I let my blood checked and it's ok. Now I am on a regime : minoxidil 5% 2 times a day since 2010, Diane 35 since 2006, and Nizoral 2 % from this week. I have lot's of ichy scalp and I can go to see a dermatologist half June.

Feeling so anxious because I've lost half of my hair now...

Baraian

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello! I know it's been some time since you have written here. How is the situation now? Have you find any solutions?

Rach3

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am using a laser comb treating my scalp after shampoo for 8 minutes, 3X per week. (NOW in my 9th week) After laser treatment, I take a red onion, in peels, pressing the juice into my scalp. I also add organic pumpkin seed oil to my cereal as well as flaxseed oil. I eat large amounts of organic pumpkins seeds, shelled pistachios, and foods high in beta sitosterol, phyto-estrogens. I eat no sugar except for what is naturally found in fruits and veggies. There have been very good results so far in the frontal areas. And I might add that without the onion juice, the laser tends to make the hair look silkier in texture but not thick as would be desirable. Onion juice does give more body and I believe STRENGTH to the hair and follicles. I am shedding very little as compared to early treatment during the first 4 weeks with laser and no onion juice. I also purchased saw palmetto with pumpkin seed oil capsules that I cut in half and squeeze in its oil form on the back crown where I was noticeably thinning. When I do my next laser comb treatment I again shampoo with a non-sulfate, non parabens, etc. product and continue to use the onion juice following treatment. (plus the saw palmetto/pumpkin seed oil combo) I am not a vegetarian. I eat wild salmon, wild albacore tuna, sardines, and white meat chicken. Lots of avocados.. sweet potatos, and organic edamame. With 90 minutes of vigorous hill climbing, I think all taken together have stopped the hair loss in an androgentic female pattern and have initiated growth. I am going to compare my initial BEFORE pics to the AFTER once I reach the 26th week juncture. I have been keeping my dermatologist up to date on month to month progress as she has another patient interested in my long term results.

Baraian

My Regimen
Reaction score
So the laser comb really works? that's good to know. Also, i didn't know about the onion, until now. Do you also take saw palmetto internally? Looking forward to the pictures

Rach3

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am more than guardedly optimistic that the laser comb is working. I see nearly one inch in a line of growth in the frontal area. I don't take any internal DHT blockers, so the saw palmetto/pumpkin seed combo I apply topically.. and incidentally was unable to use Minoxidil due to lowered blood pressure effects and dizziness. My dermatologist recommended that I try the laser.

Baraian

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's interesting what you say about minoxidil. I also have normal/low blood pressure(by default), but 2% seems fine with me(no changes in blood pressure) and it is good for regrowing hair, not sure about falling. However, i was on Yaz for 3 months but had to stopped due to medical reasons, but when i was on them it was the only time when i had very low blood pressure, because of drosipirenone which resembles spironolactone. You are not using BC pills?

Rach3

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use no internal pills at all. My hair loss target right now is the back crown where the part widens. (of which I have pics) The frontal areas are nicely growing in. Here is a comparison before laser comb June 19th 2018 as baseline front, and use of laser plus onion juice..frontal only, Aug. 20, 2018--Naturally the Aug. 20, 2018 pic is the latest..
Front starting June 19, 2018.JPG
Front starting June 19, 2018.JPG
starting nine week juncture of laser comb.JPG
Front starting June 19, 2018.JPG starting nine week juncture of laser comb.JPG Front starting June 19, 2018.JPG starting nine week juncture of laser comb.JPG starting nine week juncture of laser comb.JPG I don't if I can load two side-by-side photos.

Last edited:

Rach3

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is the back crown going into week 9 of laser
back crown.JPG
We'll see how the laser improves the back area in the next number of weeks. I am told the 26 week mark will give more substantial results.

Rach3

My Regimen
Reaction score
By the way, I do NOT blow dry my hair. It's wash and air dry, but as mentioned the onion juice gives nice body and I believe it strengthens the hair.. I see very little hair shedding.

hairwoes

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have any ladies had any experience with finasteride or saw palmetto (topical or oral) for androgenic alopecia and pcos? If so, what dosage did you take and what results? I've been on birth control and spirolactone before but they've stopped working now. Many thanks!

Rach3

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am using a topical combo of saw palmetto and pumpkin oil, and will be watching the results along the way. This is in addition to a laser comb, 3x per week, 8 minutes each self-treatment. Years ago I was given spironolactone and had ill effects: dizziness, hypotension. Same for Minoxidil. So the laser and other topicals seem to have no ill effects. So far I do see progress but just into 9th week of laser, and recently added the saw palmetto/pumpkin seed oil combo that I squeeze out of a soft gel capsule. I also use onion juice after my laser treatment.

hairwoes

My Regimen
Reaction score
Which topical saw palmetto capsules do you use? here in the UK I am thinking of getting the Holland and Barrett ones. They come in the strength of 450 mg, but I don't think they contain pumpkin oil. Do you think the topical saw palmetto is helping you though?

Rach3

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use Whole Health Saw Palmetto Berry Extract 85-95% Fatty Acids with Pumpkin seed oil (green) Cold Pressed. ( I squeeze out two soft gel capsules) and apply to back crown, and frontal area. I started this routine in the last two weeks so I will be monitoring along with my laser treatments. So far the laser has produced new hairs, mostly in the front and sides.. but just in 9th week.

hairwoes

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Rach3, thanks so much for sharing this. Sorry to bug you about this, but how long do you keep the topical saw palmetto on? Overnight or wash off after a couple of hours? I am wary of keeping it on overnight for fear of increasing my facial hair. Minoxidil gave me really bad facial hair and needed to keep that on overnight.

I use Whole Health Saw Palmetto Berry Extract 85-95% Fatty Acids with Pumpkin seed oil (green) Cold Pressed. ( I squeeze out two soft gel capsules) and apply to back crown, and frontal area. I started this routine in the last two weeks so I will be monitoring along with my laser treatments. So far the laser has produced new hairs, mostly in the front and sides.. but just in 9th week.

Rach3

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just for one day, as I wash my hair 3X before I use the laser comb. So each day I wash my hair and use laser I apply afterwards.. I don't think it should increase facial hair.

hairwoes

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh, I see. So you apply the topical saw palmetto AFTER you wash your hair and leave it through the day? Does it make the hair greasy though? My capsules seem to contain a bit of oil.