Hairline Slowly Growing Back After Seborrheic Dermatitis

zeerax

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
by the way, I didn't take pics of when I had bald spots all over my head... the "before" pic I'm posting was taken like 4 months after starting treatment so there was already a huge improvement. But as you can see, it's still growing.

The pic on the right was taken 2 months after the pic on the left

I never had any flake, my seb derm was more like severe inflammation all over my head.

What I did to treat it:

- cutting sugar
- rotating between 4 shampoos:
- Node DS +
- T-gel therapeutic shampoo (coal tar)
- Selsun 2,5%
- regular h&s

+ clobetasol or betamethasone (steroids) when inflamation is visible, but I don't use them that much anymore

v.png

edit:
Update after more than 10 months of controlling my dermatitis: bald spots on the left side of my head (above my ear) are compeltely filled and my hairline is almost 100% back

Sans-titre.png

link for bigger pictures: https://i.ibb.co/PhDgNjm/Sans-titre.png

Attachments

• v.png
    v.png
    683.1 KB · Views: 1,318
  • 51390215_2012925688763034_2629468971060953088_n (1).jpg
    51390215_2012925688763034_2629468971060953088_n (1).jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,281
Last edited:

Notanuther1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you ever use Nizoral (ketonozale?)? I was just diagnosed wuth seb derm this week. I also was told had early male pattern baldness.

dupapls

My Regimen
Reaction score
definitely looks like regrowth to me, grats.

not to hijack your thread, but i just want to get your quick opinion on whether this is seb derm as well:

i get red spots and inflammation (sometimes itchy, sometimes not) all over the front and top of my scalp and pretty bad flaking, which gets way worse in the winter. i am losing hair equally across my entire scalp, including the sides and back and i suspect this might be the culprit.

thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0225.JPG
    IMG_0225.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 7,201

zeerax

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
definitely looks like regrowth to me, grats.

not to hijack your thread, but i just want to get your quick opinion on whether this is seb derm as well:

i get red spots and inflammation (sometimes itchy, sometimes not) all over the front and top of my scalp and pretty bad flaking, which gets way worse in the winter. i am losing hair equally across my entire scalp, including the sides and back and i suspect this might be the culprit.

thanks.
Yeah it also looks like this some time...it caused me to have some localised bald spots (which grew back after few months) but you should see your doctor. For some people, hair don't grow back because seb derm accelerates mbp :(

I get these red spots when I eat like sh*t and don't sleep enough

Last edited:

zeerax

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you ever use Nizoral (ketonozale?)? I was just diagnosed wuth seb derm this week. I also was told had early male pattern baldness.

1 or 2 times a week for a month but it did nothing for my inflammation so I stopped it and replaced it with Selsun 2,5% (selenium sulfide)

zeerax

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
one month later; hair still growing back, but it's slow as f***

dupapls

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah it also looks like this some time...it caused me to have some localised bald spots (which grew back after few months) but you should see your doctor. For some people, hair don't grow back because seb derm accelerates mbp :(

I get these red spots when I eat like sh*t and don't sleep enough

what kind of doctor did you see? dermatologist, trichologist?

JonnyGo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I honestly don’t see any difference. But you know your hair more than anyone else so congrats

zeerax

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Update after more than 10 months of controlling my dermatitis: bald patches on the left side of my head (above my ear) are compeltely filled and my hairline is almost 100% back

Sans-titre.png

link for bigger https://i.ibb.co/PhDgNjm/Sans-titre.png

Attachments

• v.png
    v.png
    683.1 KB · Views: 958
  • 51390215_2012925688763034_2629468971060953088_n (1).jpg
    51390215_2012925688763034_2629468971060953088_n (1).jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 2,747
Last edited:

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dermatitis has destroyed my hair but I just started using coal tar or t gel and feel like it makes a difference. Did the steroid help you overcome the sebum production?

Tots7

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow, congratulations these are great results! How often do you rotate the shampoos? For example do you use the t gel shampoo for a specific amount of time and then the selsun blue etc.

Corey89

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey brother, I messaged you directly as I am experiencing the same issue.

I'm using Selsun, Nizoral, my scalp itchiness is almost effectively gone. Did you experience any thinning or loss elsewhere on your scalp? My hairline looks like yours. I am crapping my pants this could be something worse than just psoriasis.

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@zeerax

I’m kinda doing the same routine as you now for dermatitis. I have been using clobetasol 0.05% for the past month now. I decided to use coal tar 0.5% too. I added an oral antihistamine just in case I’m having an allergic reaction to the fungus that contributes to dermatitis or anything for that matter. I’m also planning on taking zinc for better sebum production. I’m not really noticing an improvement hair wise. The steroid by itself helped the flaking slightly. When did you start to notice things turning around? Think it will take me another month to see something out of this routine? Oh and I’m blocking DHT obviously.

zeerax

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@zeerax

I’m kinda doing the same routine as you now for dermatitis. I have been using clobetasol 0.05% for the past month now. I decided to use coal tar 0.5% too. I added an oral antihistamine just in case I’m having an allergic reaction to the fungus that contributes to dermatitis or anything for that matter. I’m also planning on taking zinc for better sebum production. I’m not really noticing an improvement hair wise. The steroid by itself helped the flaking slightly. When did you start to notice things turning around? Think it will take me another month to see something out of this routine? Oh and I’m blocking DHT obviously.

it took me a good 5-6 months of treatment before seeing an improvement. It's only after that that I started seeing regrowth here and there. I also kept using these medicated shampoo & clobetasol even after my scalp started looking clean, cuz I was told the inflammation could still be there, even if it wasn't visible.

Right now, my hairline is pretty much 100% back...

I haven't used clobetasol or any other corticoids for a few months, but still using Selsun 2,5% twice a week and using klorane shampoo as my "normal" shampoo. I also try to avoid too much sugar intake as drinking one can of coke magically makes my hair shed the next day.

Last edited:

Yakitori

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For someone who is not treating their hair loss with finasteride/duta/spironolactone, you are doing just fine.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
it took me a good 5-6 months of treatment before seeing an improvement. It's only after that that I started seeing regrowth here and there. I also kept using these medicated shampoo & clobetasol even after my scalp started looking clean, cuz I was told the inflammation could still be there, even if it wasn't visible.

I haven't used clobetasol or any other corticoids for a few months, but still using Selsun 2,5% twice a week and using klorane shampoo as my "normal" shampoo. I also try to avoid too much sugar intake as drinking one can of coke magically makes my hair shed the next day.
Defo.. junk food, Dominos and Fanta/coke makes mine do the same.. it literally jumps off scalp!

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Thank you for your response. I also get the feeling that soda and nicotine don't help the situation. That is a really long time to wait for results! If your hair started coming back at 5-6 months, does that mean your hair slowly stopped coming out as much somewhere in between that time frame? I'm asking because they say it takes 3 months for healthy hair to grow in. I have hair loss in the same pattern as you. I would also like to try an antifungal taken by mouth like Itraconazole. My redness has finally lifted. I take it you used the clobetasol twice a week then? I'm using it twice a week and put on a lot sometimes.

For someone who is not treating their hair loss with finasteride/duta/spironolactone, you are doing just fine.

That's what I was thinking to

zeerax

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
never used min/finasteride or whathever, I did not think I had mbp...just severe inflammation on certain areas of my scalp that appeared after I started playing with argan oil (tried to use the oil as a hair conditioner but it was a bad idea). One of my doctors said it could have caused seb derm & Telogen Effluvium

Last edited:

zeerax

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I also get the feeling that soda and nicotine don't help the situation. That is a really long time to wait for results! If your hair started coming back at 5-6 months, does that mean your hair slowly stopped coming out as much somewhere in between that time frame? I'm asking because they say it takes 3 months for healthy hair to grow in. I have hair loss in the same pattern as you. I would also like to try an antifungal taken by mouth like Itraconazole. My redness has finally lifted. I take it you used the clobetasol twice a week then? I'm using it twice a week and put on a lot sometimes.

That's what I was thinking to

I stopped shedding way before my hair started growing back!

yeah I'd say I was using it twice a week, sometimes just once

Something that I didn't mention because I didn't think it was that important, is that I been taking high doses of vitamin d3 & k2 for 1 year and a half now. Been using 10,000 iu D3 and 600 mcg of k2 mk7. I don't take these vitamins for my hair though