Hairline recession at 18.

baldowaldo

Reaction score
I had a full hairline in summer (July), and I had a lot of hairfall in that time.
In the end of November, I suddenly noticed my hairline had receded quite a bit far - It seemed sudden, since I observe my hair every day.
I had an iron deficiency a couple of years ago. I visited a dermatologist, and he prescribed Finasteride. I took a Serum Ferritin test and the result gave 10 ng/mL, apparently low.
It seems to be somewhere between a NW2 and NW3, if not a NW3.
I started taking Finasteride in the last week of November, 1mg every one or two days. After a month, my hairline looks almost exactly the same - No shedding or further hair loss. Is it giving immediate results? Also, there are a few hairs from my previous hairline.

Would minoxidil give me any chances of regrowth along the hairline? Should I start now? Also, how bad is my hairline?
attachment.php

<Update, 6-Jan-2016>
attachment.php

<Update, 7-Feb-2016>
attachment.php

About 2 months on finasteride, and 1 month on Minoxidil.
My widow's peak is extremely thin now as well, and the hairs in front have become really thin.

Attachments

• Progress3.png
    Progress3.png
    894.3 KB · Views: 501
  • 06012016.PNG
    06012016.PNG
    229.8 KB · Views: 373
  • post.png
    post.png
    268.5 KB · Views: 237
  • post.png
    post.png
    612.3 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:

alex85

Established Member
Reaction score
Your hairline suffers Androgenetic Alopecia diffuse loss, and in the most cases it means that the rest of gene-affected area is also thinning in this way. Check it.

And just stay on finasteride, it will be ok, you caught it right in time. It's long term drug. Dermatologist gave you the good advice=)

baldowaldo

Reaction score
I checked and also asked a couple of friends, no other part is getting thinner.
Also, even though it looks like it in the photos, there seem to be almost no hairs on my left temple area (Towards the right in the picture). Perhaps because of finasteride?
Is this aggressive, normal male pattern baldness?

bfinn

Reaction score
i would just keep monitoring and documenting your loss. you'll be able to better track and see how your hair loss is occurring. finn is one of the best things out there you can do to prevent any future hair loss, so i would recommend you keep taking it if you fear any more loss. i'm not entirely certain finn grows back hair, especially along the hairline, but keep documenting your progress and you'll know for certain.

as far as minoxdil... you really have nothing to lose. just know that if you do use it (and it does yield the results you want), you will have to keep using it for a long, long, long time. i used it for 8 mo., 1x at night in the temporal regions and got nothing. in fact, little hairs around my eyes just became more pronounced. minoxdil won't grow back hair if your follicles are already dead (keep that in mind).

baldowaldo

Reaction score
I visited the dermatologist again, and he told me to get on Minoxidil 5% once every night, so I started it yesterday. I'll keep editing my post every week with new pictures. Current regimen -> Finasteride 1mg every day, plus Minoxidil 5% liquid solution every night.
He also prescribed a solution containing Procapil, but that seems to be a snake oil, so I probably won't use it.

Since my hair loss was so rapid for some time and then seemed to freeze in a way, is there anyone else on this forum who was in the same situation who used finasteride+minoxidil? What were your results?

Also, could someone tell me where I lie on the Norwood scale?