hairline growth/recession

jumpedthegun

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been noticing a strange happening on my hairline, and wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

first off, i've been on propecia for a little over six months. about two months ago, noticed little blonde/light brown hairs on temples. now, they are a little darker and longer. these hairs practically fill in the entire temple area, and so they are clearly regrowth. at the same time, i've noticed that the stong terminal hairs on my hairline are miniaturizing and falling out. what's up with that.

how could i be losing ground with good hairs and gaining ground with weak hairs. if i wasn't responding, would the weak hairs be affected before the strong ones since they are more sensitive?

noorur

Established Member
Reaction score
those short tiny hairs may have already been there from before, but you may have not noticed them, ever thought of that ?
I have those short tiny hairs. They may have been thick terminal hairs before, then fallen out, and then regrew as short unpigmented (velus) hairs.
I have the same problem. My hair all around norwood 5a is miniturising, however, the velus hairs along my original hairline are present, but they havn't been growing much. The longest one I've seen is only a 1/3 cm long. Also, it is lightly pigmented, so they dont mean sh*t.

i doubt finasteride will ever work on the frontal hairline or the recession. just the vertex and crown.

just wave your hand goodbye to those velus hairs. We lived our youth, lets just move on........
i dont give a sh*t about my hairloss that much nowadays. Some people are luckier than others, but thats' a fact of life...... I've always believed that those who suffer in this world, make up for those who don't suffer and live a good life.

Britannia

Reaction score
noorur said:
i doubt finasteride will ever work on the frontal hairline or the recession. just the vertex and crown.

finasteride works BEST in people who have a receeding hairline and have started treatment early. I recently posted a study showing finasteride 1mg is effective in combating frontal hairloss.
So you are wrong.

jumpedthegun

Established Member
Reaction score
i have a pretty low hairline, that was always slightly widow-peaked but has gotten slightly more pronounced in the past year or so. the vellus hairs that now fill in the "arches" are definitely new.

i first noticed them about two months ago and thought, "wow, were those there before" because they were so short and light, kind of like peach fuzz. now they are about a half inch long in some spots and i KNOW they weren't there before.

but i can't see how those could be growing while the hairline hairs are shrinking.

Faston

Reaction score
A number of users on this forum have regrown hair up front with finasteride, so it certainly is possible. And, as Britannia stated, there have been studies done that prove this.

jumpedthegun,

i noticed the same thing around 6 months on finasteride. It's a good sign. As for seeing terminal hairs miniaturize over the last 2 months, i'm not sure what you mean. Some hair will fall out over the course of treatment, and you'll have 1 month where everything is going great only to find the next month you've taken a step back.

For me, everything solidified around month 14. Before that there were some noticeable ups and downs.

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
finasteride works BEST in people who have a receeding hairline and have started treatment early. I recently posted a study showing finasteride 1mg is effective in combating frontal hairloss.
So you are wrong.

where in the world did you get that from?!? if anything most of the people complain it does nothing for their hairline or temples but helpes the crown/anterior of the scalp. I started off from a good baseline, when my hairline had jussssst started to recede, and my temples were around NW2'ish. i'm losing hair like anything even now, and if anything i think my hairlines continuing receding.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Don't forget it takes a long time for damage to be done to the hair root and a long time for hairs to recover from the damage. It may be that the terminal hairs you are seeing fall out were already so damaged that they were unable to recover even once you started finasteride. In other words they were on their way out anyway.

noorur

Established Member
Reaction score
global said:
Don't forget it takes a long time for damage to be done to the hair root and a long time for hairs to recover from the damage. It may be that the terminal hairs you are seeing fall out were already so damaged that they were unable to recover even once you started finasteride. In other words they were on their way out anyway.

after those hairs had fallen out, is it possible for the hair follicle to recover from the damage, so the follicle can produce terminal hairs again ?

Britannia

Reaction score
Sir_LagaLot said:
So you are wrong.

where in the world did you get that from?!?.

Right here: http://www.cipladoc.com/slides/finpecia/finpecia.ppt
Check out slide 15.

Faston

Reaction score
Also right here: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/download/finfront.pdf

Allow me to summarize for those who don't have the time to read it:

Finasteride (1mg) taken daily causes is the preeminent cause of hair loss in men under the age of 30. Finasteride seems to affect the frontal part of the scalp more than the back in this regard.

Also, it makes you gay.

billbasin

Reaction score
Explanation please

If this is true - i.e. if there is real evidence to suggest
that finasteride slows or halts loss, or increases growth,
why do they deny it on the official Propecia website?

Surely they'd be raving about it?

Britannia

Reaction score
Re: Explanation please

billbasin said:
If this is true - i.e. if there is real evidence to suggest
that finasteride slows or halts loss, or increases growth,
why do they deny it on the official Propecia website?

Surely they'd be raving about it?

They dont deny it. They only claim there is insufficent evidence to prove that it does work. Merck can only make claims about Propecia based on their own FDA approved trials. These trials looked at the vertex area and NOT the frontal areas.
Although there have been independant studies showing finasteride's effectiveness in frontal hair loss, none of these trials have been FDA approved.

Petchsky

Reaction score
There are plenty of posters out there who were losing the front, like me, and have maintained and even thickend up.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head. In other words, the hairs on your head are not all on the same schedule. They are not synchronized. That's why only a few hairs will be shed daily from a non-balding head. We should be happy that this is the case, and that they don't ALL fall out at the end of their growth cycle. It's a continuous process, with some shedding today, some tomorrow, some next month, some next year. For the ones on your hairline, it's their time. Patience.

global said:

jumpedthegun

Established Member
Reaction score
As an update to my original post, I have been examining my hairline excessivley over the past few days, and my new theory is that these "miniaturized" hairs might in fact be new hairs (or at least a mix of new hairs and previously miniaturized).

I think these "miniaturized" hairs were not as noticeable before because my hairline was lined with "good" hairs which helped cover them up. And as those good hairs have gradually shed, it's made my hairline more reliant on these new hairs, which gives my hairline the appearance of being weak, and caused me to think these hairs were miniaturized rather than new.

I don't know for sure, could be recession, could be regrowth. I'll have to monitor and see. But this new theory would be more consistent with the regrowth on the temples.

Bismarck

Reaction score
Britannia said:
noorur said:

So you are wrong.

Would like to know how you came to this conclusion.

Britannia

Reaction score

Britannia

Reaction score
thylax said:
F*** Britannia

Thats nice. I offer an opinion, backed up with an independant study and you guys act like that. f*** you all.