Hairline Going Fast: Need Advice

jimmybeaner

Reaction score
Hi,
This is my first post, so I'll just simply state what I've been going through for the past year. I'm 25 now, at 24 I began to notice slight regression at the hairline, particularly the left temple. A few months later I jumped on the propecia bandwagon. This may have been the worst decision I could have made for the then minor hairloss. About four months into propecia, I shed like a bastard. I remember vividly, it was raining, and running my hands through my scalp would produce literally hundreds of hairs. My once thick hair had turned quite thin practially in a matter of weeks. Not only that, but in a matter of weeks my hairline rapidly moved up about a full inch. I remember watching rapidly as thin white hairs replaced my hairline hair before falling out completely. My left temple is now completely bald. I have not recovered any of this hair, and the thickness of my hair has not recoverd at all. Since the initial shed, I have not gained anything, and my hairline continues to move into the U shaped male pattern baldness pattern. I am about a year into propecia and its only getting worse. Also, if this helps someone evaulate my situation, all the hair on my back, which was dark and sparse, has become almost non-existent. I had no negative sexual side effects while taking the medication...only fast, fast, fast accelerated hairloss. Anyone going through something similar, any recommendations? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Beans

juststarting

Established Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are a non-responder.

OR, you have another health condition. Did you see a doctor? It could be a thyroid (?) problem...

2young

Reaction score
If you have confirmed that you have male pattern baldness with a doctor, you're probably just part of the unlucky 17% who don't get results from propecia. It may be time to try something else, like minoxidil, spironolactone, etc.

Coincidentally, I read on Dr. Lee's site that some of his patients got a Telogen Effluvium after several months into propecia: https://www.xandrox.com/which.htm it's about halfway down the page. If this is the case, at least some of the hair you've lost will grow back. Dr. Lee is pretty anti-propecia on his site though, since he's trying to sell xandrox as an anti-androgen treatment, so I don't know whether to believe it 100% or not. If he's right, he says the hair from the propecia-induced Telogen Effluvium will come back, so hopefully he's right.

It may take quite some time to recover from a really big shed like that. I'd talk to the doctor that gave you the prescription for propecia (if you have one), and see what they say.

circusrat

Reaction score
I just got done examining my hair. I just started to notice it about 6-7 months ago, but i'm having very similar hair loss as you. (23)

my hair used to be really thick. It's thinning drastically now, my hairline is being crushed into a V, temples going. It's terrible... short time span getting slammed like this.

I've been on the big 3 now for probably 5 months or so. minoxidil not really doing sh*t for my temples... nizoral and finasteride haven't really thickened my hair up on top either.

vogs

Established Member
Reaction score
2young said:
If you have confirmed that you have male pattern baldness with a doctor, you're probably just part of the unlucky 17% who don't get results from propecia. It may be time to try something else, like minoxidil, spironolactone, etc.

Yeah right. Make it 95%.

juststarting

Established Member
Reaction score
vogs said:
Yeah right. Make it 95%.

lol, bitter much? Hey, share those studies you ran showing 95% don't respond to propecia, I know we would all love to see them!

The Gardener

Reaction score
2young said:
Coincidentally, I read on Dr. Lee's site that some of his patients got a Telogen Effluvium after several months into propecia

Unfortunately, what the OP describes is not Telogen Effluvium. Losing an inch on the hairline, and baldness developing specifically on the temples is classic male pattern baldness, and not Telogen Effluvium.

First off, stay on the Propecia. It's a drug that takes a long period of usage to develop into positive results. You may not THINK it is helping you now, but it isn't hurting you, and two years down the line you may really regret quitting it if you do so now. Propecia is a good foundation that will work synergistically with my second recommendation to help you KEEP YOUR HAIR. So...

Second, and for those who know me on this website I rarely make this recommendation but for your case I think it is appropriate: Get on Minoxidil ASAP if you want to save your hair. You need to start using Minoxidil 5% twice a day, and Nizoral shampoo which you can pick up at your local drug store 2-3 times a week. Read up on the minoxidil under the treatments forum of this website. minoxidil is a commitment, but it is what you need to use to save your hair at this point if it is receeded as badly as you say it is, to the point where you are starting to see the beginnings of the horseshoe. That's Gardener's stand.