Hairline getting worse every year (5 year finasteride user) - should I switch to dutasteride?

PileOn

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been on finasteride for 5 years. My hairline is getting worse every year and I always lose a few cm of hairline around this time of year - every year. I am scared, as scared as I was when I first realized I was losing my hairline 5 years ago. Should I make the switch to dutasteride? Would it help at all?

- - - Updated - - -

bump for answers

recedingyt

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would think that would be the next logical step in keeping what you have, yes, assuming you are okay with the effects of DHT inhibition. If you're not currently getting any sides from finasteride, I'd personally at least try a trial run of dutasteride and as oboeoboe said it might be wise to add minoxidil at this point as well.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're not getting sides from finasteride, then I don't see why not. You might need to add a topical anti-androgen though, there's a possibility your hairline follicles are sensitive to Testosterone as well which finasteride/dutasteride won't do much about. That's broscience but a reasonable theory as to why people still lose their hairlines on finasteride/dutasteride I think.

Marky

My Regimen
Reaction score
I switched from finasteride to dutasteride 5 years ago and things look good - and I only take it once a week as the half life is way longer than finasteride. Also what I started doing is when I go swimming, I spend time in the hot tub and steam room, to open my skin pores, then throw on a lather of nizoral and leave it for 2-3 mins, rinse. I don't have for sure proof of the effectiveness of this technique but it sounds like it makes sense.