Hairl Loss Help Maybe Telogen Effluvium?

NaviM_209

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys i am new I’m this forum I am 22 about to turn 23 pretty soon . Hair loss does run in the family but not to the paoint of being bald Mom side uncles are 40+ they all have hair but thinning all over , Mom she’s thin all over but that’s due to her stress/depression and some problems she has grandpa past away with full set of hair and grandma is thin . From dad aide some have receding hair like but full set of hair . But I do have a question I started noticing that I am loosing some hair I never really payed attetion to my hair until one day I run my fingers and saw 5-6 hairs on my hand that’s when I realize it . I don’t loose hair like crazy I loose about 5-20 hairs a day mostly when I shower I have very fine hair so you can easily see my scalp when it’s wet . but I did notice that my scalp is very oily and producing a lot of sebum why ? Because I have oily
Forehead and face I have always been on the oily side but I notice an increase of it.
I do remember something that could of trigger my hair loss last year nov (2016) I was in a car crash and I got really stress, depression anxiety and that last for about 1 month a half and months later around March-August I got really stress again due to some family
Problems .
When I notice my hair loss was on may and Until now dec i am still loosing hair but it’s all over my top head but I also notice the oily scalp and some itchyness .
Could the stress/anxiety/depression cause inflammation on my scalp or maybe threw my whole hormones out of place?
My scalp is thin all over though
And all the hairs that I loose have a white bulb at end some have like this white ball around is it due to the sebum?
I loose hairs that are shorter in length 1.5 inches my hair is at 2 inches and some are thinner and some are same thickness as my regular hairs.

I know some question may sound stupid but any help with help . Thank you

PappinAce

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
maybe. hard to tell without pictures. hair loss is a very complex topic.

NaviM_209

My Regimen
Reaction score
My crown area has been like that since for ever , hairline has been recede it has been like that since 5-8 years I always used to get my line up and my barber would alway push my line up back I never really took care of my hair and I feel like I damage it these whole 10 years

Attachments

• BF874126-4F6D-40F8-88EF-ECDD3D4A2EB0.jpeg
    BF874126-4F6D-40F8-88EF-ECDD3D4A2EB0.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 218
  • 3B840B53-EB5D-456F-9789-012D3F8E5394.jpeg
    3B840B53-EB5D-456F-9789-012D3F8E5394.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 224
  • 4F76BC71-5C27-4C91-A9DB-E7A3A26F2EF2.jpeg
    4F76BC71-5C27-4C91-A9DB-E7A3A26F2EF2.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 189
  • 2AF5BC53-7EAF-450A-83D4-84FC5E3950BC.jpeg
    2AF5BC53-7EAF-450A-83D4-84FC5E3950BC.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 217
  • 25297216-ABD3-4351-B933-A6BEA7DBB25E.jpeg
    25297216-ABD3-4351-B933-A6BEA7DBB25E.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 185
  • C9C02016-4078-4082-AF60-0AEBEEA3C3B5.jpeg
    C9C02016-4078-4082-AF60-0AEBEEA3C3B5.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 216
  • 383970D2-FA90-423E-B26B-7872E1351506.jpeg
    383970D2-FA90-423E-B26B-7872E1351506.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 221

Questions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My crown area has been like that since for ever , hairline has been recede it has been like that since 5-8 years I always used to get my line up and my barber would alway push my line up back I never really took care of my hair and I feel like I damage it these whole 10 years
The front of your hairline looks great, the back looks fairly normal. I’ve also had an increase in oil on my skin lately even though it’s always been fairly oily. I’m going to the dermatologist next week, and since our hairlines are fairly similar too, I’ll let you know what they say. It would be great if you’re able to keep the hairline you have with meds since there’s 0 recession from what I see in the photos.

NaviM_209

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah what I am using right now it’s nioxin it does help with the oily scalp a little , but please let me know what they tell you on your appointment.
But yes hairline has been the same since 15 I looked back at my old pictures and it looks the same maybe a little bit of recesión but not much . I’m just thinning all over my top scalp

Questions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah what I am using right now it’s nioxin it does help with the oily scalp a little , but please let me know what they tell you on your appointment.
But yes hairline has been the same since 15 I looked back at my old pictures and it looks the same maybe a little bit of recesión but not much . I’m just thinning all over my top scalp
Exactly the same as me, besides maybe some lightening of the hair on my temples. In certain lighting it looks bad, I don’t know.

NaviM_209

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah for me I’m probably going to end up with defuse thinning thats what I see on my moms side they have thin hair all over but still have hair at age 40+ and dads side at age 55 and still have some amount of hair but he has receding hairline

Questions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah for me I’m probably going to end up with defuse thinning thats what I see on my moms side they have thin hair all over but still have hair at age 40+ and dads side at age 55 and still have some amount of hair but he has receding hairline
For both sides of my family it’s kind of mixed, there aren’t a lot of men on my moms side, but they have good hairlines for being around 70. On my dad’s side, two of my cousins have good hair, one almost the same as it was when he was 18, but the older ones (a few that died) had balding fairly young, especially my grandfather. It’s good that we’re on top of it now though, before any major loss occurs.

Questions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys i am new I’m this forum I am 22 about to turn 23 pretty soon . Hair loss does run in the family but not to the paoint of being bald Mom side uncles are 40+ they all have hair but thinning all over , Mom she’s thin all over but that’s due to her stress/depression and some problems she has grandpa past away with full set of hair and grandma is thin . From dad aide some have receding hair like but full set of hair . But I do have a question I started noticing that I am loosing some hair I never really payed attetion to my hair until one day I run my fingers and saw 5-6 hairs on my hand that’s when I realize it . I don’t loose hair like crazy I loose about 5-20 hairs a day mostly when I shower I have very fine hair so you can easily see my scalp when it’s wet . but I did notice that my scalp is very oily and producing a lot of sebum why ? Because I have oily
Forehead and face I have always been on the oily side but I notice an increase of it.
I do remember something that could of trigger my hair loss last year nov (2016) I was in a car crash and I got really stress, depression anxiety and that last for about 1 month a half and months later around March-August I got really stress again due to some family
Problems .
When I notice my hair loss was on may and Until now dec i am still loosing hair but it’s all over my top head but I also notice the oily scalp and some itchyness .
Could the stress/anxiety/depression cause inflammation on my scalp or maybe threw my whole hormones out of place?
My scalp is thin all over though
And all the hairs that I loose have a white bulb at end some have like this white ball around is it due to the sebum?
I loose hairs that are shorter in length 1.5 inches my hair is at 2 inches and some are thinner and some are same thickness as my regular hairs.

I know some question may sound stupid but any help with help . Thank you

Hey, I went to the dermatologist today and got some good information. It’s seborrheic dermatitis, and I’m getting a topical liquid steroid for my scalp. She said to use nizoral and alternate it with a tea tree oil shampoo, and to use it as a face wash since I have some of that irritation on my face. She also said NOT to use T-Gel when your scalp has open sores or scabs because it can irritate it even further. She said that seborrheic dermatitis doesn’t really go away, but you can treat it and keep it under control. She also said since I’m eighteen it’s still hormonal and that I may grow out of it. The intern also looked at my hairline and said it looks okay, there may be slight thinning in the temples and asked if it has always been like this, and I said no since I’m not really sure, leaning towards no. They said to start with rogaine (which I already use) and when I go back in 2-3 months and I’m okay with taking finasteride and ready for the commitment (which I am, obviously ;)) that she’ll write me a prescription for it. I think it would be really helpful if you went to the dermatologist and told them about your scalp issues and get something to control that (she also said I could get an oral anti-fungal if it becomes worse), and then ask for a finasteride prescription and tell them you’ve already done your research and are ready to start. I’m truly hoping my hairline stays where it is or becomes stronger with the rogaine before I get the finasteride prescription. Good luck! Let me know if you have any other questions!

NaviM_209

My Regimen
Reaction score
I will try those things thank you for the information . Did she told you you have male pattern baldness?

Questions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I will try those things thank you for the information . Did she told you you have male pattern baldness?
Her intern asked me if my temples have always looked like that, I said I don’t know, he didn’t really seem concerned. She looked at it, and she didn’t say anything about it besides I can use rogaine (which I already use) and when I come back again that if I’m okay with it I can start on finasteride. I wish she would have said how it looks, but she didn’t say one way or another. However, she didn’t seem concerned. I think as long as both of us get on finasteride and get the scalp conditions under control that we should see overall inprovement since I know my scalp health isn’t great due to the dermatitis.