Hairball's Story

Hairball

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Thanks for the great site, and I would really appreciate any comments as I am going through some rough spots with my treatment.

Two years ago I noticed that one of the sides of my forehead was losing hair. Being interested in all-natural cures, I spent 6 months on Zinc, Fish Oil, and Saw Palmetto as well as a good multivitamin. Basically, hair fell out faster than ever. In November, I noticed large portions of my hair near my temples were so thin that they would fall out very easily, and I lost almost all that hair within a month. So I switched to Nizoral and Proscar (divided up into 4). I was on this for 6 months before I noticed the hair loss slowing. I began getting scared so I ordered Rogaine and started drinking green tea a lot. Then after my one year anniversary. my hair loss stopped. Not a single loss hair in the sink where formerly there were dozens. Not only that, but my February it looked thicker. I was so happy! Around the end of April, it began what I hoped was a temporary shed. However, not only did the shed not stop, it picked up steam in July, stopped for about two months, and now is back. I added Folligen, which has had no noticeable effect. As of today, it hasn't stopped - and now my hair loss has got quite bad up front and diffuse thinning is deinitely in effect, with large clumps of hair being incredibly thin. What should I do? I'm determined to try out the Nizoral/Rogaine/Proscar regimen for at least two years before surrendering, and it seems to have slowed hair loss, but the loss is continuing fairly fast in a diffuse fashion.

What should I add, if anything? Been thinking about Revivogen and/or Topical spironolactone? I'm a poor student, but I live very cheaply and will spend some money to get my poor hair back on track. I'm also noticing that diet may be a factor: I was very careful with my diet, which consisted mostly of raw vegetables, when the hair stopped, and now that I am back to a more traditional (if vegetarian) diet, the hair lost has picked up. Lastly, my parents (both who have hair, although my grandfather had a extremely recessed hairline and my father has thin hair in general) recently revealed that my grandmother had a quite bad thyroid problem. Right now my hair is still thick enough so that with a little bit of Toppik and some combing (I'll post pictures soon) my hair loss is almost invisible, but at the current rate of loss this won't go on for much longer. So, what should I do?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Hairball!

Hairball said:
Being interested in all-natural cures, I spent 6 months on Zinc, Fish Oil, and Saw Palmetto as well as a good multivitamin. Basically, hair fell out faster than ever.
Yeah for some reason a lot of people report nonstop shedding with Saw Palmetto. Seems so backwards, but it is consistently the case. Wish we understood why.

Hairball said:
What should I add, if anything?
Nothing. This is the problem. Every time you add something, your follicles have to shut down and start over again. The best thing you can do is pick a regimen and stick with it through the thick and thin, allowing a maximum of 12 months before adding something. I realize thats easier said than done, but your hair is going to cycle thin and thick over and over, even if your treatments are working 100%. It takes a lot of time, and you've been very good at being patient. The last thing you want to do right now is add something, unless its been 6-12 months since you added Rogaine and Folligen.

I got kind of lost in your story though so could you clarify for me again how long it has been since you added Rogaine? That alone will cause a noticeable shed at about 2-4 months. This may have been what you saw. Adding Folligen is just another growth stimulant and that may as well cause another shed. See every time you add something you're complicating the equation rather than letting your hair do its thing.

hairball said:
I'm also noticing that diet may be a factor: I was very careful with my diet, which consisted mostly of raw vegetables, when the hair stopped, and now that I am back to a more traditional (if vegetarian) diet, the hair lost has picked up.
Most likely unrelated. This condition is a genetic hormonal one (andro-genetic alopecia) not a nutritional one.

hairball said:
So, what should I do?
You could get your thyroid levels checked just for fun, since you mentioned it runs in the family. Most likely that is not the cause though. Let me know how long you've been on Rogaine and how long ago you added Folligen.

Remember the rule: Any time you add something new to the follicle environment, the hair will shut down (hair falls out) and restart its cycle again. In fact copper peptides (folligen) are marketed to do just that. Directly affect the growth cycle and kick things back into gear. Unfortunately with hair that means several weeks while the hair restarts and regrows.

HairLossTalk.com

Hairball

Reaction score
Update

I've been on Proscar since last August, and on Rogaine and Folligen since mid-summer (July I think...).

My main worry right now is the phenoumenon is what appears to be "rapid thinning". It's not even shedding *that badly*, it's just that hairs all over my head have become very thin in the last month or so, such that they easily break. They aren't really shedding - when I shower, I barely lose any. Last time this happened when my hairline did a big recession last September. The hairs in that area got REALLY thin, and then within 2-3 months they all fell out, never to regrow. Now I'm just worried because it appears to have happened all over my entire head (including, suprisingly, the back of the head and the sides to an extent), which is new. Which makes me suspect that they might all fall out soon.

I'll take your advice and not change anything, to let my hair get used to it the Proscar/Rogaine/Folligen regimen for another 6-8 months before changing anything.