Hair Transplants paid by insurance?

cueitup

Reaction score
do u think health insurance covers hair transplants?

does hair transplant qualify for tax writeoff?

follijinxed

Established Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't bet on it unless you pay a shitload for your insurance. You might be able to cover it if you can convince the doctor to put down that you are a burn victim.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
cueitup said:
do u think health insurance covers hair transplants?

does hair transplant qualify for tax writeoff?

Australians do get financial help with cosmetic surgery procedures. Nothing like this exists in America, that I know of, unless it would be some kind of trauma related case.

G

Very doubtful that one can write-off a cosmetic elective procedure on their US tax return, including implants, lipo, etc.

If you do find one that covers it, please let us know so we can get in line!

smudge

Established Member
Reaction score
what about flexible spending accounts?

can you use that for a hair transplant?

I think you can use it for laser eye surgery, and that's somewhat like a cosmetic surgery.

G

Yes I believe most employer sponsored Flex spending accounts would qualify. Probably read over the plan details in that area or even contact the plan's administrator.

G

That's interesting because I have seen some patients use their flex plans for cosmetic procedures. Possibly it is hit and miss.

neuromet

Reaction score
It should not be covered. See IRS Publication 502 (quoted below).

Cosmetic Surgery
Generally, you cannot include in medical expenses the amount you pay for unnecessary cosmetic surgery. This includes any procedure that is directed at improving the patient's appearance and does not meaningfully promote the proper function of the body or prevent or treat illness or disease. You generally cannot include in medical expenses the amount you pay for procedures such as face lifts, hair transplants, hair removal (electrolysis), and liposuction.

You can include in medical expenses the amount you pay for cosmetic surgery if it is necessary to improve a deformity arising from, or directly related to, a congenital abnormality, a personal injury resulting from an accident or trauma, or a disfiguring disease.