Hair transplants cost over time

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am very curius to find out the cost of hair transplants through time. FUT method has been out for about 10(?) years. What would it cost when it first came out? Was there any serious decline in price?

I am guessing that i will need a hair transplant in 6-7 years if i take under consideration my current hair loss and that of my fathers and meds, so I would be interested to see what it will cost in that time (if we assume that no other options like HM is available). Because right now, a major transplant of 5,000 grafts is too expensive for me to have.

G

Well that's a good question and one that is more difficult to forecast.

Strip goes back to the late eighties and early nineties and then really took off with the development and advent of the FUHT. Almost all of the docs were doing SRs and open donor (plugs) prior to that.

Yes the cost of strip was as high as $30 US per graft and because most patients could not afford it, the hair transplant docs got smart and decided to train techs to do the time consuming part of the surgery which is the preparation of the grafts from the strip that takes the Doctor less than ten minutes to excise and then close with sutures. At the same time, it also allowed the Doctor to bounce from room to room and do the mass production approach that the hair mills and big chains are noted for.

Because the hourly cost of their techs was much lower than the surgeons time in the OR, they made lots more money. So they won in two realms. More profits with less time in the OR room or should I say, more time on the golfcourse!