hair transplants are not for Life....My 20+ year Journey

Pete DC

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just had an FUE procedure, my final hair transplant. Here is my 25 year hair transplant story for all those who may be younger and looking to have an hair transplant when they are in the earlier patterns of hair loss.

This would be my 4th hair transplant, the previous 3 were 20 yrs + ago, they were FUTs that totaled 4500 grafts. At the time of the first hair transplants, I was between a N3 vertex to an early N4, attempting to lower the hairline and throw some in the crown. Looking at my pics back then, I had a substantial amount of hair. My hair shaft is definitely on the thinner side, so I never really received the density and thickness that all the thick haired youtubers get.

Today, my entire scalp is very thin, with, for the most part, only transplanted hairs remaining, looking mostly bald under direct lighting. The 4500 grafts did not last 20 years and if I were to guess, I would say I lost 70 to 80% of the total grafts. Over time, I have used minoxidil before it was Rogaine, tried finasteride oral, finasteride & dutasteride topical and whole bunch of other stuff over the years but thinning still progressed. I also think that weight lifting last few years definitely may have played a part as well leading up to today.

So, where am I going with all this? I guess my point is to say to those who start these procedures earlier in life and in their loss.....seriously think about the future when planning to get an hair transplant. With each attempt your donor area is depleted. I did an FUE this last time because I never wanted to go through the risks and pain of the strip again (I was very fortunate prior with the scar) and I knew I could no longer do a 2000+ session due to not wanting to over harvest my donor. I DID NOT KNOW when I had my initial hair transplants that implanted hairs do have a limited life span, for various reasons. I found an excellent youtube video recently explaining the reasons how even genetically strong hair can take on the influences of the implanted area over time making it not so strong anymore.

Looking back, I would have waited until I lost more hair, clearing the canvas as not to implant within existing hair and getting it done later in life so it would be around longer to offset further progression. Because looking at the pics from 20 years ago, I did have a heck of a lot of hair back then and should not have been so self conscious over minor hair loss. Today my options, and area, were limited with my FUE and final hair transplant, but that is fine because my expectations are low based on experience, reality and I am in an age category where most men are thinning. But I will say, that the healing process from this FUE (on day 2 as I write this) is by far less painful, and so much less swelling all the way around then the FUTs. But to go back to work the next day?? Lol, perhaps if you work from home and can take breaks often but in any other scenario, not happening :)

BaldBob

My Regimen
Reaction score
There is a study confirming this:

"Usage of minoxidil and finasteride and their influence in the longevity of the hair follicles in our study were not statistically significant."

Gergely

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So did you stay on finasteride or just tried it for a couple of years and decided it wasn't working?

Gergely

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Read the study I posted being on finasteride does not save transplanted hair for many.
transplanted hair success depends mainly on how much of the original hair follicle with the surrounding area was transplanted.. i don't care that wasn't my question
(35.71%) continued using finasteride at the end of 4 years of surgery. very cool

Last edited: